I wake up to the sun shining on my face and flip over on my back. I usually manage to return to my room before falling asleep but, it doesn't really matter. Nothing really matters anymore. I feel empty and that's probably the scariest thing for me. I haven't woken up feeling like this in a while. I think I've finally accepted the truth, that she and I will never happen.

It's for the best after all, she has Hank and she seems happy with him. I can see her eyes don't light up the way they do for me and, for a while, that gave me hope. Until I realized that all of that is irrelevant in the long run. If she's going to stay with him, then that's the way it'll be. It doesn't matter how many sweet moments we share.

It doesn't matter how we make each other feel, how she makes me feel. I lay on the roof staring at the blue sky and I close my eyes again. I let the sun warm my body as it's the closest thing I'll ever feel to her touch. I'm not sure what time it is now, I don't even remember the day. Based on how quiet it is, I can only assume it's the weekend.

I finally bring myself to sit up and pull my knees to my chest. I stare at the greenhouse below, memories of late nights filling my mind. As tears well in my eyes yet again, I catch a glimpse of something. I hear the door close before I see her emerge from behind the tall bush that blocks my vision. She stares at her feet as she walks slowly across the stone path.

Her steps calculated and precise as she plays with her fingers. I watch as she crosses the yard, eventually escaping my sight. The sound of the back door closing breaks me out of my trance. I stand up and walk across the roof to sit on the opposite side. I stare at the street in front of the academy. Watching as people walk by, each enveloped in their own lives.

Every person carrying a different burden as they make it through the day. Until one of them catches my eye, an old woman with a walker. She takes careful steps, very slow as people pass her. She stops in front of the academy and stares at the building. A smile stretches across her face, the skin around her eyes wrinkling even further.

She mutters something to herself before turning away and walking again. I stare at her until she's out of sight and then I turn to my hands. I imagine what it would be like to live that long. How many memories could be made. I wonder how many people she's loved, how many she's lost. I present myself with two options and weigh the pros and cons.

Maybe if I hold on long enough I'll meet someone else. Sure, they'll never be Cordelia but maybe that's the point. I feel a buzzing and I look down to my pocket, pulling out my phone. I see Delia's name come up, the picture I saved for her contact taunting me. It's the two of us in the greenhouse.

I took this after my second week here when she caught me in the middle of the night. She's never liked this picture because she said she wasn't 'ready' to be photographed. Yet that's what makes it so special to me. Seeing her with her hair tied up in a messy bun, no makeup on, a robe draped over her flawless skin.

As my mind wanders, the buzzing stops and I realize I missed her call. My notification center pops up and I see five missed calls from her. A few texts, also from her, and a single call from Myrtle. I'm sure Cordelia asked her to do that as she's not a fan of the little device. I debate on whether to call her back, knowing I'll have to see her at some point.

Before I can even consider against it, my phone buzzes once more. I look back down to see her calling me again and don't have the heart to ignore her. I press my thumb gently against the screen and slide it over as I answer. "Hello?" I answer softly, "y/n? Thank god. I've been looking for you all morning" she sighs worriedly.

I pull the phone away to check the time and see it's almost moon. I put the phone back to my ear and stay silent as I don't hear anything else. "Where are you? You could get hurt" she whispers concerned, "I'm ok" I reply simply. "No you're not. And you didn't answer my question" she states firmly, I always hate when she uses that voice.