I wake up to bright lights surrounding me, which alarms me a bit. I don't believe in heaven or anything but you never know, right? I blink a bit and realize it's just a medical room. I give myself a few minutes to fully come to before looking around. I notice an iv attached to my arm with a bag of something dripping in it.

My belly feels sore but nothing major though I also haven't tried to sit up yet. I glance to side to see a table with a remote and a half-finished cup of something. My mouth feels dry which isn't unexpected. It smells very sterile with a hint of stale coffee in the air.

Finally my senses come full circle and I hear commotion outside my room. A few people jogging back and forth with hushed conversation. I hear the door open and someone starts speaking. "Alright Taliah, I'm going to be-" they top mid-sentence as their eyes land on me.

Their eyes widen in shock and they almost drop their binder. Quickly they collect themselves but stutter regardless. "I-I'll go g-get someone" he says nervously before rushing out the room. How long have I been out? He looked petrified. No more than a minute later a doctor enters the room.

A soft knock on the door before she opens it, "I heard you're awake" she says. I just stare at her, choosing not to speak as I know it'll hurt. "I'm Dr.Bailey, I presume you have a lot of questions" she assumes and I nod softly. "Alright, how about I take your vitals and check up on a few other things first" she suggests but there's really no questioning in her tone.

I blink and she smiles, coming over to viewing the monitor. I see her write some things down but she doesn't seem worried. She presses gently on my stomach and ask if it hurts, I shake my head in response. She nods in reply and lifts the bandages to check for infection.

She leaves momentarily and comes back with water. Raising the head of the bed slowly so I can sit up. Lifting the cup to me and holding the straw so I can drink it. I smack my lips and she sets in down before gesturing to the bed, asking if she can sit. "You don't talk much" I say hoarsely, my throat hurting a bit.

"I could say the same, but I suppose you have a good reason" she giggles making me relax a bit more. "You're in the operational medicine unit. I know who you are, I've seen your file. Therefore I also know I don't have to speak beyond the necessities" she informs me. "And I get the impression you're not much of a small talk person" she smiles.

I smile in response as she winks at me funnily. "Well... down to business, eh?" She asks and I nod telling her to go on. "Your vitals are all good, your abdomen is healing just fine. You should be back to normal in about 2 weeks give or take. It didn't hit any vital organs, just grazed your pancreas but didn't puncture it" she lists.

"And?" I inquire, sensing there's something she's hesitating to tell me. "Right. I'll cut to the chase. Your immune system is compromised from your preexisting conditions. The blood loss coupled with your anxiety and exhaustion, essentially, caused your body to shut down" she explains.

I look at her, remaining silent, knowing she's not done. "In conclusion, I can't make this sound better. We had to put you in a medically-induced coma. After we eased you off the pentobarbital we let you rest on your own. In total you've been 'asleep' for 3 months" she finishes.

"3 months... ok" I say, "anything else?" I ask softly. "I'm not sure that it matters to you, but I am required to disclose all information. We kept you under for so long because your heart rate and breathing wouldn't slow. Which in turn made us have to give you a higher dose than normal to keep your brain at rest. That's why you were out so long" she explains.

I nod and look to her for anything more than all she's already given me. "The last thing is good though, I assume" she starts. "My mom always told me to assume is to make an ass out of you and me. Play on the spelling I guess" I chuckle, feeling at ease as it doesn't hurt anymore.

"Well I'm sure this is good news" she replies, poking me gently on my arm. "The agent that was with you when you were wounded has been visiting you. Coming in almost everyday to talk to you and ask about you. Quite persistent, that one" she jokes. I smile at the thought of Marissa visiting me.

"Anywho..." the short woman stands up and hits her thighs with her open palms. "You're pretty much set to go once the grogginess wears off" she smiles. "Wait. Did they catch him?" I ask, my anxiety shining through as I don't have the strength to conceal it. "Oh they got his ass alright" she laughs making the situation easier.

I sigh in relief and thank her, "no need to thank me" she insists. "Your thank to me, actually, can be trying not to get hurt again, ok?" She says raising her eyebrows in a playful manner. "I'm going to pay you back for being so awesome" I croak out.

"If you insist. You can just pay me a visit sometime. Ask for 'the nazi' they'll send you straight to me" she smirks. "What a name... especially for a doctor" I voice. "I know right. Your girlfriend should be here soon by the way" she says on her way out. "Girlfriend?" I ask 'innocently' as I furrow my eyebrows.

"Oh honey, with the way she looks at you? It's obvious" she chuckles before closing the door behind her. I smile to myself, closing my eyes as I picture her. Gosh I really love that woman. My eyes fly open and I blink a few times. "I love her..." I whisper to myself.