Abby's pov
I tried my best to process what Tessa said. I slept on it and decided that she was right, and yet I still couldn't bring myself to do anything about. Settling on the idea that I might just need an extra push, I phoned Carol to ask if we could talk. So that's where I'm headed now, hoping I find some sense of clarity. I knock on the door after getting out the car and wait for her to open it. My foot tapping quickly against the ground as my nerves skyrocket from just thinking about this whole thing.

The door swings open and my best friend flashes her comforting smile. I give her a weak one in return as she ushers me in and closes the door behind us. I shrug off my coat and am immediately pulled into a bone-crushing hug. I chuckle breathily and grip onto her just as tight. We separate and head to the living room, taking seats right next to each other on the couch. "Tea? Water?" she asks, I shake my head and sigh. Brushing my hands on my pants as they have accumulated a bit of moisture.

"So..." Carol prompts, "I saw Tessa yesterday" I blurt out. Starting off strong. "Oh? Disregard what I said earlier, do you want wine?" she grimaces, "no, no. It's nothing like that" I sigh. She nods and leans back further into the cushions, placing a hand on my thigh. A silent request for me to relax and I do. Leaning back and closing my eyes, I remember that look on her face. "I broke my promise..." I whisper shakily, I open my eyes to look at her and she just smiles sadly.

"She was right there... I just couldn't bring myself to say it—do it. She looked so sad, Carol. I don't understand why I can't just..." my hands raise in the air as I try to gesture what I mean. "I know, honey. It's tough... being in love" she utters with a sympathetic smile. "I didn't know I was... I know it's not too late but it feels like it is. She gave me her number..." I mutter, pulling the little slip out my pocket. Muddling it between my fingers and feeling the slightly rough texture.

"Well you know she's open to it, the question is... are you?" she questions, her hand gently caressing my shoulder. "I am. I'm just—I'm scared" I voice sadly, "then do it scared. You'll never be 'ready' for it, trust me, I know. So do it unready, do it scared shitless, just do it" she suggests firmly. "Will you be with me while I do?" I ask softly, turning to look into her eyes. Pleading with her to say yes, because I'm not sure if I can do it alone.

"Of course I will" she promises with a little wink, which makes me giggle because she can't wink at all. "Darling?" we both turn around at the sound of another voice. I look to see Therese coming down the stairs, a satchel over her shoulder. "Hello, dearest. Abby's here" Carol says with the sweetest smile on her face. "Oh, hi Abby! I was just heading out" Therese informs us, her thumb pointing towards the front door. "Big story" Carol speaks questioningly, "I hope so" Therese rolls her eyes.

They kiss goodbye and Therese places her hand on my shoulder. I lay my own on top of hers and give it a squeeze. She waves one last time and is on her way; Carol watching her with a loving gaze until the door finally shuts. She turns back to me and motions for me to get my phone out. I take it out and type her number in, opting to message her instead of call. Carol sighs but says nothing, this is just the easiest way for me. Besides, she might be busy... I don't know.

Hey, it's Abby...

"Well, it's a start. How about I fix us up some lunch while we wait, hm?" Carol asks and I nod gratefully, desperately needing something to take my mind off it. I don't know how I feel about this at all, I just hope I'm making the right decision. I've found that, though it should be the other way around, I never feel this strongly about 'bad' decisions. Anytime something is genuinely good for me, I get this weird feeling in the pit of my stomach. Then I do it anyway, and it all turns out better than I imagined.

Hopefully this is the same way. Carol and I talk as we nibble on some sandwiches she made for us. As we're in the middle of talking about our little business together, my phone buzzes. I quickly pick it up, my hand coming up to cover my mouth full of food as I tell her who it is. She smiles widely and nods for me to check it. She takes the dishes and gives me some privacy while I read the message.

Hi Abby. I'm happy to hear from you

Ok, simple. Now what do I say? Well, I know what I want to say. Just go with it, Abby. This is a good thing. I nod to myself and start typing my response.

That's good to hear. I was wondering if you maybe wanted to meet some time tomorrow? I thought about what you said and I'd like to talk more.

Ok very very formal, and why does it feel so long? I'm just going to send it and hope for the best. I mean love is nothing without a little elbow grease, right? "How's it going?" Carol asks bringing me out of my spiraling thoughts. "I may very well have just embarrassed myself" I sigh, "good!" She exclaims and I look at her like she has two heads, because what does that mean? "It always feels awkward at first. You feeling a little nervous or embarrassed is good! It means you're being honest, vulnerable, I'm proud of you" she comments, reaching over to place a hand over mine that's nervously tapping the table.

Lovely! Same place I saw you last at 7?

I read the message a few times to make sure I'm seeing it right. That was easy. I text her back agreeing to the time and place. "Maury's at 7" I tell her and her face lights up. Her excitement also shown in the way she frantically shakes my hand. "Woah, woah. Let's celebrate after we see how this goes" I chuckle softly, "I know you can it, Abby. You've already taken the first step which is always the hardest" she voices sincerely.

Gosh I hope she's right...