2 weeks later

These few weeks have not been easy by a long shot. Marissa has stopped avoiding contact with me so that's a plus. Though in exchange for that, she refuses to hold a conversation with me. It's not like I'm asking her to tell me all her deepest secrets and fears. A simple talk about the weather would do.

The whole assignment, which was only disclosed to me after the 3 day period. Is that we're supposed to be a couple on vacation. Jasmine and Gretchen Hart, oh yeah we're 'married' too. So naturally I feel like we should be speaking to one another. I couldn't care less about social interaction.

Especially with someone who clearly doesn't want to talk. Even though it may sound odd given my profession. It's just that though, this is an assignment. This isn't about wanting her to like me, but she has no choice but to tolerate me. With that in mind, I pull her to the side to take a seat on a bench.

She stares straight ahead and says nothing to me. "Alright here's the deal. You don't have to like me ok? Trust me, the feeling is mutual. Let me remind you, however, we are here to do a job. So that means whatever negative feelings you have towards me? You're gonna have to suck it up and play your part" I tell her.

She still doesn't speak, taking more interest in her nails than me. "Oh for fucks sake. You're acting like a child!" I scold her quietly as there are people passing by. She turns to me for the first time all day and raises an eyebrow before looking away. I take a deep breath as I feel myself getting agitated.

It's not often I get upset but when I do, it's not good for anyone involved. "Let me say it like this..." I grab her arm and squeeze it just tight enough to get her attention. Once I have it I continue. "All that attitude? Take that, and shove it wherever you need to. As long as we look like we remotely tolerate each other, that's fine" I say leaning closer.

"I don't care what you have to do to make it believable, but you damn well better do it. Because if you're the reason I get fired? I can assure you won't make it back to Washington unharmed" I warn her. "Funny you're threatening the person you're supposed to 'protect'" she replies.

"Oh honey..." I bring my hand to her cheek, dragging it until her chin is in my hands. "It's not a threat. It's a promise" I bat my eyelashes. Her face drops and I narrow my eyes at her in response. She rolls her tongue in her cheek and stands up. I take her hand and lead us back out onto the street. Engaging her in light conversation.

time skip: 6 hours

As the sun begins to set, I suggest we head back and she nods. I unlink our hands and put mine in my pockets. She's been cooperative today. I think she deserves her full personal space for the walk back. As I glance around to check the crowd I spot a woman and am momentarily distracted.

Her golden hair falls to her mid-back in soft waves. A warm close-lipped smile gracing her features as she bops her head softly to the music in her ears. I take a look over her frame to see an almost sheer white blouse paired with jeans. I lick my lips as I slow down near her calves, accentuated due to her black heels.

As my gaze raises I find myself stopping on her ass. God help me. I shake myself out of it and continue up to see her face one last time. When I reach her face I'm met with her eyes staring back at me. She smirks lightly and glances me over before softly biting her lip. I smile back and check her out again as I know I'll never see her after this.

Before I can even get halfway down her body my head is being turned. "Don't look at her. Look at me" she says, her hand still holding my chin. I stare into her eyes, my pupils already slightly dilated. We're stopped at this point just looking at each other. After another few seconds her hand drops from my face.

She continues walking as if we never stopped and I follow. As we arrive back at the hotel we ride up in silence. Her going to her room and me to mine with not another word spoken. I quickly shower and throw on night clothes before falling into the bed. The Egyptian cotton and memory foam pulling me in.

What the fuck was that?