forty-three | cranberry juice

It was a couple more weeks before you felt the need to keep up your side of the deal. 22 weeks, and a couple hours after you both fell asleep, you were awoken by a persistent pain in your lower back. It was nothing new; it seemed to simply be a bad day for your back. One of the worst yet.

This pain was nothing urgent, but you knew JJ would want you to apprise her. And you did promise. Rolling over to your left side, facing JJ, you stroked her hair and began to whisper her name.

She awoke after a minute of this, whispering, "Yeah, I'm up, what...what's wrong, baby?"

"My back,"

"Yeah? Is it a doctors-and-hospital problem or a complaining-and-painkillers problem?"

"The second one,"

"Mm. You feeling okay otherwise?"

"Yeah, I think so. I'm gonna go grab some Tylenol,"

"Let me, pretty girl. You need water, too?"

"I can do it, Jay,"

"No, really, I got it. Let me take care of my girl." She kissed your forehead and rose to get you what you needed. As she returned, she said, "I'm glad you woke me up. Taking care of you fulfills me. Can I kiss you?"

"Absolutely."

JJ grinned and held your chin as she leaned in for a kiss. "I love you, baby. You ready to go back to sleep?"

"Mhm. I love you too, Jen. Good night,"

"Good night."

JJ let out a little sigh and fell asleep. You did the same as the Tylenol began to kick in. You woke to the sun in your eyes, and found your girlfriend already awake, albeit still quite sleepy. With few words, you rolled over to face away from JJ, and she started spooning you.

"How's your back, baby?" she mumbled.

"Mm, it's okay. How're you?"

"Good. We're lucky it's Saturday. So I can have my girl all..." She kissed the back of your neck repeatedly. "Day...long," she chuckled. "Henry's at Will's, you're here with me...we can do whatever we want,"

"Anything?" you asked with a big grin. JJ moved slightly away as you rolled onto your back so she could kiss you properly.

"Anything, my darling. Now, what would you like to do today?" Her face stayed close to yours, so sweet and gorgeous, her smile mere inches away from your own.

"I want you to make me yours today. Are you up for that?"

JJ's pupils dilated at the notion. "Oh, certainly." Her lips found home after home on your neck, shoulders, and upper chest. Your eyes shut and you simply let the moment carry you. "I'm so lucky you're mine, pretty girl. So lucky." More kisses. "You're got such a beautiful body,"

"Yeah?" you murmured with a smile. "Even now?"

"Of course, baby." She pushed up to level her face with yours. She kissed you on the lips. "I think you're perfect. Do you want me to keep going or...?"

You sighed and thought for a moment. "Mm...can we stop? I thought I wanted to, but..."

"No, don't stress, baby." She stroked your hair and kissed the tip of your nose. "Don't you worry. We can cuddle, or I can go make us breakfast. What are you feeling?"

"Breakfast in a bit. I wanna lay with you a while longer,"

"Sounds good to me, baby. Spooning or no?"

"Sure."

JJ wrapped herself around you, and you curled up in her embrace. She kissed your shoulder and neck from behind. "I love you," she whispered.

"I love you too, Jenny."

As JJ held you close, you found the safety to fall asleep again. Once JJ realized you were asleep, she kissed the back of your head and shut her own eyes. She couldn't fall asleep in the forty minutes you slept, but she did rest her body and mind.

It was a good nap. You woke up with her still wrapped around you, and she kissed your neck when she realized you were awake. "Morning, sleepyhead,"

"Hey, Jay,"

"Sleep well?"

"Mhm,"

"Good," she said.

"Did you?"

"Oh, I didn't sleep. Just laid here with my girl." She squeezed you a little tighter. "You...I know I say it all the time, but it makes me feel so nice to just hold you and let you know how loved you are. You do know, don't you?"

"Of course I do, Jen." You rolled over and smiled at her, your faces mere inches apart. "Of course. You tell me all the time; the only way I wouldn't know is if I didn't listen to you. What kind of girlfriend would I be, in that case?" JJ smiled and kissed the tip of your nose, something she seemed to enjoy partaking in that morning.

"You're a wonderful girlfriend, baby. What do you want for breakfast?"

"I don't know. Dealer's choice,"

"Crepes with Nutella?" she proposed.

"Sounds good to me. You want help?"

"If you really want. You don't have to, but I always like your company."

Usually JJ preferred doing all the cooking, and today was no different. It was easier to manage it all herself than coordinate with someone else. You sat up on the counter drinking cranberry juice while you watched her cook. Between every few crepes, she would come over and stand on her tiptoes to kiss you.

"I can taste the juice," she chuckled at one point. You smiled down at her and took another sip.

JJ concentrated hard on each crepe she made. She would stare at it as it cooked on each side, trying not to let it burn. Her expression of determined focus was a different side of her, certainly, and one that pleased you.

Breakfast was delectable. You and JJ shared a very lazy day.