twelve | a morning with henry

Monday morning. You could still feel your girlfriend's arms around you, and her warm breath on your head. You stirred a little as you woke, and JJ sighed through her nose. "Morning, love," she whispered. "Uh, don't know if you noticed..."

You furrowed your brow and looked around. You felt a little mass in front of you, the only open space there'd been on the bed in the night as you and JJ were so close. All you could see, as the blankets were covering much, was a bit of thin blond hair.

You smiled. "Ah," you expressed, acknowledging his presence to his mother.

"He's awake," she whispered in your ear. You smiled and rubbed his little head slowly.

"Good morning, Henry, sweetheart," you greeted him. Your voice was a little deeper than usual, from the night. He poked his face out from under the covers with a winning smile.

"Good morning! I in bed with you, Auntie,"

"Yeah, you are! What's up, buddy?"

"I wanna see Mommy, and you," he said. He scrambled up to kiss your cheek. You could not stop smiling, which made Henry proud of himself. He got very close to your ear and whispered, "Mommy love you. She tell me,"

"She did?" you asked with a grin. He nodded.

"He asked if I loved you, and I told him I really, really do," JJ said. She kissed the back of your neck quickly.

"Well, Henry," you said, "that's a very good thing, because I also love your mommy very, very much."

He gasped and wiggled a bit in excitement. "You do?" he giggled. You smiled and nodded, and JJ was grinning ear-to-ear behind you.

Henry was attached to you all morning. JJ made the three of you breakfast, and he didn't want to let go of you. He drank some milk and gave you cheek kisses, something he loved to do.

You would kiss his forehead or cheek many of the times he would kiss you, and he always smiled. Henry's smile made you think maybe, just maybe, it would be a good day.

JJ looked at you guys being cute and she always grinned. Henry only left your hip to eat breakfast at the table. You and JJ sat there with him, eating as well, and he was talking about his week at daycare and with Will.

When he finished, he asked, "Auntie, you help me get dressed?"

"How 'bout Mommy helps you, bud? I think Auntie might be a little tired," JJ suggested.

"No, Jay, it's fine. Unless you'd rather," you offered.

"No, I'll clean up the kitchen, get myself ready. If you really don't mind helping him." JJ gave you a grateful look and squeezed your hand under the table. You smiled and then turned back to Henry.

"Hey! Do you wanna help me get some clothes for you, buddy?" You got up and Henry jumped into your arms. JJ was smiling like you had never seen her smile before.

You picked up Henry and carried him upstairs. He helped you pick out a shirt for him — it was blue and had a cute green dinosaur on it — and a pair of jeans. He wanted gray and red striped socks, so you helped him put them on.

You sat him on the counter where the sink was in the bathroom and made sure he thoroughly brushed his teeth. You brushed his hair and he seemed happy with how he looked in the mirror.

Finally, you took Henry back downstairs and saw JJ shutting the dishwasher. "Mommy, look!" JJ turned around and her face lit up. "Auntie Y/N help me!"

"Whoa! You look like a million bucks! Auntie did a good job, huh?"

"Yeah! And I brush my teeth and she brush my hair,"

"Oh, wow, you really got it all, huh? You look ready to go. Why don't you stay with Mommy while Auntie go gets ready? She's gotta go to work today, just like Mommy,"

"Okay. Bye-bye!" he said, waving to you as you went to go back upstairs.

-

You and JJ dropped Henry off at daycare and went to work. In the car, JJ said, "Oh my god, he really loves you, Y/N. I know he's really attached to you." She almost sounded apologetic.

"No, god, Jayje, I love Henry so much. He's so cute, and he's such a nice boy. He's excited I'm here, isn't he?"

"He really is,"

"I love him. He's such a bright spot, you two both are, when everything seems really dark. I love you both so, so much,"

"I love you too, honey." JJ kept her eyes on the road, only glancing away to take your hand. She kissed the back of your left hand and then returned to steering.

JJ held your hand in the otherwise empty elevator and, realizing you didn't have much time, asked, "JJ, can I have a kiss?" She smiled and used her fingertips to gently guide your face to hers, locking your lips for a fleeting moment.

"Always, my baby. Good?"

"You're always good, Jay. Thank you," you said. JJ smiled and kissed your forehead. "Aw, I want you to do that forever," you mumbled. The elevator dinged and you pulled away from each other. She squeezed your hand one last time before letting go.

"Later, baby. I'll give you all the kisses you want."

You walked out together and tried to get through the day. You were consulting on a case for most of the day, a series of homicides, but it wasn't requiring the team to travel.

Thankfully the day was slow in terms of workload, and it seemed to go rather quick. JJ held your hand under the table for a little. She was discreet throughout the day, but still able to comfort you.

After lunch, you were working on a case and saw a name that looked familiar. Detective David Fielding with Metro PD. You went to the bathroom, trying to act normal as you left, and sat in a stall trying to breathe.

[from JJ] hey love, you alright? everything ok?

[from you] yeah i'm good, thanks <3

No way was JJ going to buy that lie, but it was the best you could do. That detective was one of the one's you'd bore your soul to the day before. Barely more than 24 hours prior.

Again you felt sick, so you just took a minute to sit and focus on not throwing up. You returned after taking a few more minutes to collect yourself, and you all wrapped that up an hour later. JJ and Emily both resolved to talk to you about it later, and JJ told Emily she'd handle it.