SIXTY-SIX

NICO POV:
The closer it gets to my dads trial the harder it is for me to stop thinking about it. I keep zoning out thinking about it and then Wills waving his hand in my face to get me to stop.

"Earth to Nico," Will says as he waves his hand in front of my face.

I snap my attention back to him. "Sorry, zoned out," I say my ears turning red.

"Thinking about the trial again?" he asks softly, brushing a stray hair out of my face.

I nod in confirmation. "I can't stop."

He puts down his book and leans over so he can wrap me in his arms. "I know," he says kissing my cheek. "Just try to distract yourself?"

"I've tried," I sigh setting down my phone as well. "I can't focus on it."

Will pulls me on top of him. "Let's just cuddle then okay?"

I nod, "Okay."

I sigh contently as I relax into him. One of his hands is running circles on my back and the other is rubbing my head soothingly. I try and just focus on the sound of his heart beating in my ear and his body against mine, but my mind still keeps drifting. What if they try and make me go back to that house? What if they send Dad to jail? I don't want him in jail, I just don't want to live with him, or for him to have any legal power over me.

"Hey, just breath okay? Breath with me," Will says, exaggerating his breathing so I can match mine to his. I do as he asked and match my breathing to his, even though I didn't realize I hadn't been breathing well. "That's it, good boy."

Something about that sent a shiver down my spine, but I'd never admit it. I keep focusing on matching my breathing to his until it comes natural and I can just focus on just the feeling of having him so close to me. The way he's rubbing my head, scratching his short nails across my scalp every so often is almost hypnotic.

I must have fallen asleep like that because when I wake up Will and his mom are whispering to each other really quietly. He is still rubbing my back but his phone is in the hand that had been playing with my hair.

"I'm sure it'll be okay," his mom whispers.

"I know I know but I worry about him," Will responds. "I just love him a lot and I don't know how'll he'll respond if he has to see his dad again."

"I know, the lawyer said he's gonna try and get you two a private room like he did for the sexual assault trail."

"Good," Will sighs, resting his cheek against my head.

"How long has he been asleep?" she asks.

"About 45 minutes," Will tells her. "He could really use it, he hasn't been sleeping well."

"Poor darling," his mom says. "He honestly is such a sweetheart, it's just so sad he's had to go through so much at such a young age."

I don't like hearing her talk about me like I'm such frightened little puppy. I don't like when people talk about me like I'm weak. I don't want to keep hearing it so I decided now is a good time to show that I'm awake. I yawn as I sit up and stretch on top of Will.

"Good morning sunshine," Will smiles kissing my forehead.

"That's your name," I argue. "Your sunshine."

He rolls his eyes, "Yeah yeah whatever."

"It's also not morning," I point out when I see it's 2 in the afternoon.

"Your so antagonistic, go back to sleep if your gonna keep arguing with me," Will laughs.

"Fuck you," I say with no heat behind the words. I put my head back down on his chest and tuck my nose against his neck.