calm before the storm.

A plate broke in the kitchen as Derek's words seemed to echo through the house. "Sorry, sorry, I'm not here," Issac called as he scurried to collect the pieces before slipping out the back door to give the couple some privacy.

Derek hadn't looked away from Delilah after Issac's interruption. He was too focussed on trying not to pass out. This was a thousand times worse than when he told her he loved her without even realizing he had said it. His heart was hammering in his chest and he could fell his palms beginning to clam up with sweat.

Delilah was in a daze as she stared up at him with wide unblinking eyes. Pulling her hands out of Derek's sweater sleeves, she ran them up his firm chest to loop around his neck. 

"You know," she started as she took in his frantic pulse, "my favourite thing about you, Derek Hale, is the fact that there wasn't even a question to your statement just now." 

Derek smiled as she sweetly reached up to kissed his lips and rested his forehead against hers. She was too smart for her own good. 

"Did she say yes?!" Issac yelled through the window. 

"He didn't technically ask me anything, so there is nothing to say yes too!" Delilah called back to the boy, severely entertained that he was in fact listening in. 

Derek rolled his eyes and cleared his throat. "Delilah, will -"

"What about the ring? Did he give you the ring?"

"Oh for fuck's sake, Issac!" Derek roared.

"No, Issac. Come to think of it there is no ring." 

Derek huffed and reached for his jacket that hung on the back of the living room arm chair. Using one hand he fumbled with the inside lining and pulled out a small box.

Delilah's face sobered at the sight of it. 'Wait how, long as that been in there?"

"I've kept it close since we came home from the hospital."

"But I've worn your jacket since then."

"I know," he laughed.

"Why didn't you say anything earlier?"

'I had a plan, with Melissa."

"Melissa knew?!"

"I wanted it to be really special. You deserve special and -"

"I could care less about special, as long as I have you."

" I know. I just -"

"Wait, give me a second," Delilah said as the blanket fell from her shoulders. Derek laughed as he watched her fluff her hair and straighten his sweater on her body. "Okay, ask me."

Derek couldn't stop smiling as he watched his girl stand before with an absolutely breathtaking smile. Sinking down to one knee, he carefully opened the little box in hand.

"This was the ring my dad used to ask my mom if she would be his forever. She never took it off, not even during the full moon. It's now all I - all I have-"

Delilah could see Derek was struggling and easily sunk down onto the blanket at her feet. She lightly touched his arm and Derek quickly wiped at his eyes with his opposite hand before pulling the small ring out of the cushioned fabric. It was modest and Delilah thought it was perfect.

Derek reached for Delilah's hand and marvelled at how delicate it felt in his. It was shaking slightly as he moved to slide the ring onto her finger but Delilah stopped him with a smile.

"You have to ask me." She whispered again.

Derek held her hand to his chest so she could once again feel his erratic heart and leaned in close to murmur in her ear.