blood thirst (2)

"Thank you for coming," Derek said mournfully as he let Deaton into the loft.

Deaton nodded as he kicked his shoes off at the door and clenched his medical bag in his hand. He wasn't sure what to expect when Derek had called for him for help but thought it must be serious as he took one look at Derek's current state.

The swelling that was most prominent on Derek's face had receded, leaving only a peppering of bruises that were beginning to fade along his jaw. The faint crease of a healing claw mark could be seen peeking out from the collar of his shirt. The skin was red and blotchy from where Derek had obviously been rubbing it, probably out of agitation. Even for an alpha, the wounds delivered by another still took time to completely disappear. And from the way Derek was standing Deaton could tell he was probably still dealing with a set of bruised or at least broken ribs. 

His shirt was rumbled against him and Deaton could make out bindings across his chest. Delilah must have done that for him he thought. Even in her hysterical state she would take care of Derek and thought of the young woman's perseverance softened his heart. 

Deaton looked back up into Derek's face. His body seemed to be healing alright, but his eyes were telling an entirely different story.

Black sunken circles and red rims blinked back at him.

"Derek, have you slept?"

Derek paused as his mouth tried to find the right words.

"I... I can't... not when..."

Deaton had never seen Derek this distraught as he started to pull at his hair in distress.

"Hey, okay." Deaton soothed with a reassuring smile. "Just hold on. You did the right thing."

Derek looked at Deaton unsure.

"Why don't we go take a look? She's probably missing you right now."

Derek nodded frantically as he lead Deaton over to the spiral stairs that lead up to their bedroom.

Deaton noticed how quiet it was in the loft. It felt different from the night of the dinner when the room was filled with a cacophony of voices, all mixing together into a delightful buzz. Now, in the silence, Deaton was aware of their heavy footsteps as they hit each step of the metal stairway.

Derek could sense the man's questioning but chose to not fill him in where the rest of the pack happened to be. It didn't concern him.

Cora had disappeared along with Peter. Derek had no idea if they were actually together but he knew Cora had at least been back to the loft as her bed was slept in. 

Erica was gone as well but an update from Boyd had told him she was with the other kids on their way to the track meet. She'd already made up an excuse to coach on why Delilah wouldn't be arriving with them later. When coach had put up a fuss she even told him that Delilah had been training her in first aid and as her unofficial helper, she would have no problem stepping up to help with anything the team needed, just as long as it wasn't more than a broken nose. For that Derek was grateful as Delilah was in not state to help. Not today. 

Issac hadn't stopped calling Delilah's phone and Derek needed to switch it off. He told him Delilah was home and she was safe, but that was the end of the conversation. He'd talk with him more when the pack got back but right now he needed to focus on making sure Delilah was okay.