Why not me?

CTTO: camilosluvr (Tumgir)

okay but like im feeling angsty so reader likes camilo but camilo talks to the reader simping over someone and reader doesnt know it’s them and reader is like oh.. and kinda inspired by you belong with me by taylor swift but then the reader tells “dolores” about how they just wanna tell camilo abt how they feel but it’s actually camilo as dolores. then camilo laughs and explains that it’s them

Camilo Madrigal x Gender-neutral reader

(He/they pronouns for camilo)

Camilo and you were just walking through encanto as you two and already finished all of your chores for today but as the day goes on you two (especially camilo) would most likely have more chores to do but that didn't matter right now, you were just happy to spend time with him, doing chores or not because camilo just made you feel some type of way that you just couldn't describe but you knew it was love "Y/n...!" Camilo said dragging out your name as he leaned on your shoulder and nearly making both of your cheeks touch making you a bit flustered.

You looked down at them to see his big brown eyes staring at you with a wide grin on his face but it wasn't like the other smiles they had, it was more of a lovesick smile "Yes 'milo?" You asked raising an eyebrow as you tilted your head making both of your cheeks touch and camilo pulled away as you two stopped walking as you two and reached your destination.

It was an apple tree and it was surrounded by flowers and grass and it was a secluded part of encanto which was also where you two met a long time ago, when you two were about five or six "I wanna talk to you about a very special person!" He said grabbing your hands and dragging you towards the tree as their smile grew brighter at just the thought of this so-called 'special person' and don't get me wrong, you loved seeing their smile and the way their hair bounced up and down whenever they would fidget when he was happy but you couldn't help but feel jealous and a tiny bit sad at the mention of this person he was talking about.

Camilo sat down underneath the tree and dragged you down to sit with him "So...can I talk about the person or no.." They said moving their hands in a circular motion slowly as a sign to continue or not and you nodded as you liked hearing him ramble even if it was about someone else and because you didn't wanna be rude.

They smiled and leaned against you as they took a deep breath as a sign that they would be talking for a long time "So...they're just really amazing and they're really smart, funny and talented! They're really adorable." The shape-shifter said as they started fidgeting with the end of his ruana while you ran your fingers through his curly brown locks whilst you hummed and nodded to let him know that you were listening.

He rambled on and on until he overheard his tia julieta calling out for him making both of you whine as you two enjoyed times like this together "I'll be back, just gotta do something really quick..." Camilo said as they stood up stretching their limbs, the comment made you raise and eyebrow and grab his ruana pulling him down in the process to look you in the eye "No cami, you aren't shifting into another person just to avoid chores again." You said making camilo frown "I wasn't going to do that!" He said putting a playful put on his lips knowing that he was in fact going to do it "Sure..." You said rolling your eyes then julieta called his name once again making him groan "Well, I'll see you later!" Camilo said as they waved bye to you as they started to run towards the voice of their tia.

You sighed and when camilo was finally out of view, tears started streaming down your face as you silently sobbed "Camilo doesn't like me and I don't know why I ever thought he would.." You whispered as you started wiping your face but the tears wouldn't stop flowing "Well I should probably go...I probably have chores to do and I'm supposed to be having lunch with the madrigals..." You said to yourself as you stood up and dusted your clothing off and wiping your face but you knew your eyes would be red regardless of what you did.

You grabbed a fresh ripe apple off one of the branches and started eating it as you walked away from the tree that had you and the shape-shifter's initials carved into the bark with 'BFF'S' carved underneath both initials.

~Later in the day~

You were walking through the town as you looked down at the ground occasionally looking up to make sure you didn't bump into anyone and to make sure you were going the right way, you were still upset about earlier but at least your eyes weren't red anymore from your crying "Ah, I'm here.." You said as you sighed at the thought of having to see camilo, it wasn't like you hated him but you were sure your heart couldn't take seeing him after the heartbreak you experienced but you really couldn't be mad at him because he probably wasn't even aware of your feelings.

You walked into casita to see everyone making their way to the table except dolores who was stacking her plate with plenty of food which seemed more like a camilo thing but camilo was over at the table so it couldn't be him, you decided to talk to dolores about what happened between you and camilo as she hears everything so she was bound to already know what happened "Hey y/n!" Antonio said as he waved at you with plenty of animals behind him trying to get a snack off his plate "Hi 'tonio" You said smiling softly at the brown-skinned toddler as his hair bounced while he tried to get his plate away from the animals.

He walked towards the table indicating that the conversation was now over for now, you walked over to dolores and grabbed a plate "Hey dolores...can I talk to you about something?" You asked her as you grabbed one of juileta's arepa's from another plate, dolores just looked at you and nodded as she pursed her cherry red lips together like she always did which gave you a green light to ramble but quietly as the rest of the family was practically right next to you two "Well, I'm sure you've already heard but..camilo was talking to me about this person and...I felt a bit jealous and sad.." You mumbled as you started placing the food on your plate whilst dolores stopped putting food on her plate and turned her entire attention on you "You should already know why since I told you..well I didn't necessary tell you I have a crush on camilo but you overheard it" You said tilting your head a bit as you placed more of the delicious food on your plate.

It was another thing you and camilo had in common, you two had huge appetites "Camilo! Stop pretending to be dolores so you can get more food!" Fèlix yelled as he came over to the food table with the so-called 'camilo' who was actually dolores but she just had her hair down making you die a bit inside as your gaze shifted between the real dolores and camilo who was currently shifting back to his original state but their gaze on you didn't stop.

You two stared at each other and camilo's papa and hermana could sense there was some tension between the two of you except dolores, she already knew because she overheard you talking so they just walked back to the table deciding to get their food later "Um...y/n?" Camilo said waving his hand in front of you face making sure you were still with him, you snapped out of your thoughts and averted your eyes from the shape-shifter "Oh..yeah, you must not wanna be friends anymore because of my..crush.." You mumbled as you slowly walked away but camilo grabbed your arm and pulled you back to him "N/n..the person I was talking about was you! I hoped you would catch on and confess but it seemed my somewhat confession..if you can even call it that..just made you jealous" They said smiling a bit as they laughed.

You felt like an idiot and you felt your face heat up from embarrassment "Oh...Hey! Stop laughing!" You yelled making the family turn their attention to you and camilo as the boy kept laughing "I'm sorry n/n but if you aren't too mad at me for laughing..would you like to go on a date with me later?" He asked smiling as he held his stomach from it hurting due to his excessive laughter "Sure..but only because you apologized!" You yelled taking your plate and going to the table knowing you lied and that you were bursting of happiness inside "Whatever you say mi amor.." He said making you more flustered as he grabbed his plate and walked to the table along with him.