Sober

By ChristabelAnane

Asher Reynolds is fed up of receiving five consecutive heart breaks from his girlfriends who he thought love... More

Welcome!
Torn Apart Again:
First Day of College:
Love:
Gross Description Of Love And Kylie's Dark Secrets:
Mall Raid:
Broken:
Home Sweet Home:
Calvin's Return:
Headaches, Sarcastic comments and Love letters:
Meeting Asher:
Meeting Miss Croxford:
Training With Kylie:
Talking With Jace And Mirabel:
Party Time l:
Party Time ll:
Mr Flirty Pants and The Bad Fairy Godmother:
The Jealousy Dance:
'Hideous' Appearance:
The Invitation:
Soccer Practice:
The Diary Exchange
Injured:
The Flashback And Samantha's Return:
Your Time Has Come Warren:
Warren Rogers:
Lucifer Is My Stepbrother:
The Anniversary:
Table 16:
Acting With Ursula:
One More Kiss Wouldn't Hurt?:
Meeting Samantha:
Rescued by Asher:
The Truth Is Revealed:
The Truth Hurts:
The Joy Of Donating:
It's Over Between Us:
The Reunion:
My Real Home:
Saying Goodbye:
Miami, Florida:
Grandpa's House:
My Real Family:
Mirabel's Insecurities:
The Dryopteris Hunt:
Occupy Yourself:
Surfing:
Family Football:
The News:
Working On The Brand:
Blake's Departure:
Cut Contact:
Wynwood Walls:
Cammy and Cal:
Arguments and Fries:
Preparations:
Swift Sisters Grand Launch:
Swift Sisters Grand Launch II:
Enthusiasm:
Seaquarium:
The Bet:
The Plan:
The Interview:
Gaming:
Uncontrollable Feelings:
Girl Talk:
Masquerade Fever:
Distractions:
Epilogue:
Author's Note:
Copyright Info:

Home:

112 1 0
By ChristabelAnane

Asher's POV:
"Nothing really" Samantha replies and strides to my side. She takes my empty plate and hands me a clean tissue. I couldn't take my breakfast because of Dave! He ended up eating everything on my plate.

Jace scans our faces suspiciously.
"Are you sure? What show did that toad faced guy put up here?"he demands and I sigh.

Samantha smiles but it doesn't reach her eyes and I know she is going through a lot right now.

"I think we should be focusing on me going home! Where are my luggages?"I say quickly to divert his attention.

"Right! They're in the car! Your mom is already here"Jace replies.

"I can't believe you'll be gone for 4 weeks"Sam speaks up, in a disturbed tone. I open my mouth to speak but I cannot find the words.

"He wouldn't be gone for long! It's just four weeks Samantha"says Jace with a shrug.

"Four weeks means a lot with Dave around"she whispers but it was loud enough for me to hear and I realise what she means. Dave's words earlier resurface in my head.

"She's damn sexy! I miss her"he ruffles his hair a bit. "Maybe History would repeat itself"

I inhale deeply and waddle to her side. I wish I could be here to protect her. I couldn't protect her the first time and it's rather unfortunate that I can't do it for the second time but I'll try my best. Even if she isn't my girlfriend. She raises her eyes and stares at me.

"I know you're scared"I whisper and catch a glimpse of Jace looking at us curiously. "He can't do anything to you"

"How sure are you?"she whispers and her lips quiver a bit in fright. I feel so sorry for her. She's traumatized. I encase her hands in mine and look her in the eyes.

"He wouldn't lay a finger on you! Trust me"I whisper assuredly and she nods. "Keep your distance from him and you'll be okay Sam"

She gulps.

"Okay"she engulfs me in a hug and I brush her soft jet black hair.
"Dave is not a threat alright?"I whisper and she nods when we break apart.
"You're brave and I know you can face this"
Samantha nods and chuckles lightly.

"Why?"I ask curiously and she points to my head.

"When did you become a redhead?"she spills and I laugh.

"Oh it was my idea! It's my pleasure"Jace butts in quickly.

"You dyed his hair?"She asks him and he nods.

"I'm washing this dye out as soon as I get home."I assure her and she runs her fingers through my hair.

"Red is actually your colour"she giggles lightly. "But I miss the brown strands"

"Asher!"my mom's voice interrupts and she looks stupefied at the doorway, glaring at Samantha.

"Samantha? Sam?"she blurts.

"Yes it's me"her nose flares slightly and my mom steps forward.

"Its been so long"my mom smiles down at her. "Its rather unfortunate that Asher has a girlfriend now"she butts in quickly and my heart stops beating. Samantha is dumbstruck.

"He hasn't told you?"

"Well he hasn't but I was expecting that"Sam says with a small smile but I sense disappointment in her tone. I feel like she came back so that we could get back together.

"You're still pretty my dear! Even prettier!"mom compliments. "How is your mom?"

"She's alright"Samantha nods.

"That's great!"mom beams and her eyes avert to me. "You all can visit anytime! We would be glad to have you"

"Sure"

"You ready?"mom asks me and I just nod. "Lets get going then"she places her hand around my waist.

"Goodbye Samantha"those were the only words I could think of to say with her still dumbstruck with what she had just heard. Apparently, I have no girlfriend but I don't know why I couldn't tell her so.

A bolt of pain shoots up my leg and I scream.
"Sorry"Jace apologises and moves on.
I heave a sigh of relief when we got to the exit but the moment my eyes fell on Kylie's body, my breath hitched. She just glanced at me for a brief second and then bolted towards the dorms. I averted my gaze to the parking lot as we got near my Aston Martin.

"Come on Ash"Jace whispers and my mom let's go of my waist as she heads to the drivers seat. We waddle to the backseat and he helps me settle in. He places a pillow under my knee and smiles.

"There!"he says. "4 weeks! I'm really going to miss you bro! A whole month"Jace rattles.

"I'm going to miss you too bro"I offer him a small smile. "But we'll stay in touch"

Jace smiles and gives me a pat on the shoulder.

"Promise me this"I whisper and steal a glance at my mom who was busy gulping her bottle of water.

"What?"Jace asks, his shaggy eyebrows furrowed.

"That you'll protect Samantha from Dave while I'm gone"I whisper yet again. I'd never dreamt of doing this someday. I decided to hate girls but I'm now trying to protect them! All the same, my decision still holds! I'm not dating any girl! Again!

"Why do I have to protect her from Dave?"

"Because she's in danger"

Jace stares at me, confusion apparent on his face.

"I know you don't understand but promise me you will"I grab his collar.

"Okay I promise"he scratches his head. A faint smile makes its way unto my face.

"Gotta bolt Jace! See you later"mom hollers at the front seat.

"Bye bro"he smiles faintly and slams the car door. He waves me and I spot another person doing the same thing. I look closer and it's Dave with a smirk on. He says something and I read his lips because he is far away.

Samantha would have a great time with me. I read.

My brain freezes momentarily and I just watch the whole campus dash by as my mom drives out of the parking lot.

A phone rings and it snaps me back to reality. My mother picks up.

"Hello my Hollywood Prince"she sings with a beam and I know it's Calvin.

"You're here already? That's great! Your brother and I are on our way home! Hope you fixed us something"

"Yeah I did"I hear Calvin say. "Its your favourite mother"

"Yay! Nachos?"mom screeches and I chuckle lightly. She really loves Nachos!

"Yep"

"I'm there"mom hangs up and I ask the first question that enters my mind.

"Calvin's back?"

"Yes! He came because of you! I told him about your injury and he decided to pay you a visit"

"That's so sweet of him"

"I know! But he will be spending only two weeks with us"mom sighs.

She trails into the house and parks.
"Home"I breathe out. I miss my bedroom!
Mom giggles.

"Calvin arranged an online study platform where you can join your friends live in class to keep track of your studies before the end of this semester"

"Cool"I smile.

"Come on! Lets go inside"she holds my waist firmly and we strut towards the front door. It opens instantly and mom gasps.

"Welcome home family!!!"Calvin hollers at the door in an apron and chef hat.
He glides to our side and hijacks my waist from my mother.

"You're away from school! Finally "he says and I chuckle as we head up the stairs to our front porch.

"Calvin"a girlish scream is heard and we whirl our heads to see two teenage girls standing on the pavement, waving their phones.

"I've gotta run"he says and I nod. I watch him dash to the two girls and just make my way into the house alone. The smell of nachos hits me when I enter.

"Mm...this place smells heavenly"mom turns around to face me. "Where is Cal?"she asks and I point outside. She struts towards the door and I watch as her mouth forms an 'o' shape.

"I understand! I need to dash into the kitchen right now before the food gets burnt! Just relax and feel at home sweetheart"she pecks my cheek and runs into the kitchen. I fumble towards a sofa and sit in. As usual, I place my left knee on a pillow and rest. This is exhausting! I relax completely and stare at the ceiling.

Calvin barges into the room with my luggage,panting uncontrollably

"What happened? Why are you panting like that?"I question amusedly. "What did those girls do to you?"

"They didn't do anything"he makes his way towards the wooden staircase. "I just had to escape "he smiles slyly.

"Why?"I ask.

"We'll talk about that later"he climbs the stairs hurriedly and I shrug. I snatch the remote control from the table and turn on the TV. A football game comes on and I smile. This is what home feels like!

_____

"The nachos are delicious! Well done"mom pats Calvin's shoulder lightly as a form of encouragement.

"I got the recipe online! It's actually my first time"Calvin brags and I take a bite of my own. She was right! They tasted great.

"Really?then you're a natural honey "mom giggles. "I love both of you so much! You know you're my only family now! I'm sure your father is smiling from heaven right now! I'm sure he is proud to see how successful you both are today"

My lips tug upwards. Speaking of my father.....

"I am your half brother"

Dave's smirk and words flashes in my head like a neon sign

"Mom"I begin tensely.

"Yes, honey"she batts her eyelashes and Calvin's gaze falls on me. I hesitate.

"We love you too"I state. Well I wasn't going to say that actually.
She taps her heart in awe

"Come here you"she summons me over and I lean in so that she could kiss my cheek.

"Don't forget about me"Calvin taunts and she does the same to him.

Dave's words continue to hover in my mind. Maybe I shouldn't ask. Or should I?

"My cute little babies"she giggles and we chuckle.

"Mom I have something to ask you though"I blurt quickly and instantly regret it. What are you doing Asher? You don't have to believe whatever that scoundrel says! But I need to know the truth.

"What?"she smiles and fills her mouth with food.

"I...I....it err"I stutter nervously and she frowns a bit.

"Go on"she urges.

"Do we have other..."I trail off when a call cuts in.

"Oops! That's mine!"She scoops her handbag and rummages through it for her phone. "Hello Danica"she brightens up and I know it's Kylie's mom. Then I remembered that tomorrow is the day of the bloody anniversary! Which means, I get to see Kylie! Shoot!

"I know! I can't wait for tomorrow to arrive"mom stares at her nails. "Geez! I forgot to get a manicure!"

Calvin chuckles.

"Craig is such a sweetheart! "She compliments and I continue to eat.

"Who Asher?"mom asks and I stop eating instantly. Did Kylie tell her mom we broke up? I watch as she drums her manicured fingers against the table furiously.

"I'll fix that Danica! Asap!"mom gives me a heated glare and I swallow hard. I'm busted!

"Sure! Keep me posted! Love you"she hangs up and faces me.

"Danica just told me that you've kicked Kylie out of your life"Mom growls at me, forgetting the question I asked earlier.
"Is it because of the return of good old Sam?"

"Mother! You just don't get it! Do you?"I question. Calvin clears his throat.

"I guess I'm done! Excuse me"Cal says and exits the hall.

"Tell me! You dumped Kylie because of Samantha right?"she demands.

"It has nothing to do with Samantha"I huff. "Besides, I broke up with Kylie long ago before Sam appeared! And you were trying to bring us back together"

"Yes and it worked! So what happened?"

I sigh. "It didn't Mother! Now let me be"I stand up and pick up my empty plate.

"Now you listen to me Mister!"She storms after me as usual. Typical of her!

"Listen to what? You're probably going to say that, Kylie doesn't deserve my harsh treatment right?"I growl.

"Not only that"mom raises her voice.

"Mother"Calvin calls at the other side of the hall and we whip our heads to meet his gaze. He stands on the staircase nonchalantly with an eyebrow raised. I was so close to asking mom about Dave when Calvin called.

"What?"mom asks exasperatedly when he doesn't speak.

"Let's give Asher the benefit of the doubt! Besides, he is an adult now! He can decide for himself"Calvin says and I smile.

"I know that"mom says obviously. "But he is making a terrible mistake"she faces me and I huff again.

"I'll be in my bedroom"I rub my eyes tiredly. Today has an extremely dramatic day and I'm exhausted as hell.

"But we aren't done talking"mom points out.

"We are done Mom! I'm tired!"I manage to climb the staircase and slide into my bedroom. I throw myself on the bed and put on my headphones, playing my favourite queue of songs. Then I slowly drifted off to sleep.

_____

An alarm wakes me up and I remove the headphones and rub my eyes. Saturday morning! The day of the anniversary. Shoot! I hide under the bedsheets, trying to make myself as invisible as possible but that was short lived when I heard my mother knocking behind the door.

"Asher! Are you awake?"

I pretend to snore as I hear her fiddle with the door knob.
"Asher?"she files into the room. Her voice much clearer. I remembered our little argument yesterday. It's strange because my mom and I barely had arguments in the past! Now it's more frequent.

"God! These boys are such heavy sleepers! I guess I would have to fetch the air horn"

I open my eyes instantly when I hear her slam the door. I quickly make it to the shower. I hate air horns! They're so annoying! I grab my toothbrush and toothpaste hurriedly.

I hear her file into my room again.
"I'm here mom"I holler

"Okay! Hurry!" I hear her flit out of my room and I know she's probably going to use the air horn on Calvin. True to her word, I heard the annoying sound a few metres away and broke into fits of laughter. Poor Calvin! I brush my teeth quickly and take a shower.

"Mother"I hear Calvin screech in his morning voice. I double over in laughter.

"Get to the bathroom Mister! We don't have time to waste"mom instructs and I can imagine Calvin's face in his room right now! Serves him right for slipping those love letters into my car! I wonder what Jace did with them afterwards! He was saying something about bettering our romantic lives and a whole lotta stuff! I don't care if he swallows all those letters! As long as it's not in my most treasured belongings, I'm at peace.

"You shouldn't have used the air horn!!!"Cal grumbles and I continue to laugh. Well, today is a funny day! I thought it's going to be gloomy and exhausting like yesterday but upon the latest developments, looks like today would be better than yesterday. I slip out of the bathroom, back into my bedroom.

I gel my hair and comb it. I'm glad I got the red dye out! Now it's back to its original colour, brown! That's more like it!
I quickly slip on my white shirt and black pants. Then I put on my Rolex watch and designer shoes, generously purchased by my dear brother, Calvin.

Speaking of brother, Dave! That creep! I don't care if we have the same blood coursing through our veins! He isn't my brother! And he will never be! I have only two brothers and they are Calvin and Jace! Period.

The door creaks open and my mom walks in. She was in a white gown and her hair was in a tight curls on her head. Her white heels sparkled in the light together with her glitter studded purse.

"You look great son! Except for one thing"she taps her chin and I catch a quick glimpse of the time on my watch. 6:00am!

Mom reaches out for my drawers and I just stare at her. She brings out a black bow tie and turns around to face me with a bright beam.

"You almost forgot this right?"she walks towards me and slips it around my neck.

"I guess"I scratch my head as she fixes it for me. Bowties aren't my thing really!

"There! You look stunning " she giggles and I smile.

"Can I get my bow tie fixed as well?"Calvin bellows at the doorway.

"Of course"mom struts to his side and I make my way towards my dresser.

I gaze at my reflection in the mirror and mom is right. I look flawless in my simple attire. I grab my Drakkar Noir perfume from the drawers and spray myself with it. It has always been my favourite cologne to use. Kylie also loved it! I remember she told me she stole one from my drawers one day and narrated how she would spray it on her pillow. Then she would inhale it all night just to dream about me and feel my presence all night. I'm sure she doesn't do that anymore! She might have replaced my cologne with Dave's.

"Hey there handsome!"Cal calls and places his hand around my neck. "Its time to go! You look great little bro"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6K 33 14
Emma is having a loving boyfriend, she is quite happy with her life in general. She likes her job and her family....but what will happen when she by...
12.4M 452K 62
"Feel that?" He asked, keeping her hand still. "That's what you do to me. Every time I see you. Every time I hear you laugh. Every time I think of yo...
1.8K 66 24
Olivia's world gets turned upside-down when she has to move in with a family of strangers- her biological family, who has been looking for her for ov...
3.7K 87 23
" I just feel so selfish..." I say as I cry, looking down. I feel two sets of arms wrapping around me, giving me warmth and love. "That's okay." "...