Aftermath (A Sequel to A Flas...

By AGeekWithGlasses

Follow Naruto and the gang as they continue to live their lives after they have seen their future. What will... More

Author's Note
Prologue - The Legacy of a Grandfather
Legacy of a Grandfather Pt.2
Author's Note
New Update
The Legacy of a Grandfather: Fate of the Damned
Aftermath: Story Arcs (in order)
Chapter 1 - The Next Day
Chapter 2 - Morning Meetings
Chapter 3 - Rookies: Group Training
Chapter 4 - Assignment
Chapter 5 - Prequel to the Chunin Exams: Part 1
Chapter 6 - Prequel to the Chunin Exams: Part 2
Chapter 8 - Prequel to the Chunin Exams: Part 3
Chapter 9 - The Chunin Exams
Chapter 10 - Welcome to the Chunin Exams, Genin!
Chapter 11 - The First Test
Anko
Chapter 12 - Side Plans and Reunions
Anko - Part 2
Anko - Part 3
Chapter 13 - Training Ground 44: The Forest of Death
Chapter 14 - The Snake Sannin
Chapter 15 - The Snake vs. The Fox
Chapter 16 - Confrontation
Chapter 17 - Prelude to the Preliminaries
Chapter 18 - The Preliminary Round
Chapter 19 - Meeting the Gama Sennin
Chapter 20 - The Finals: An Overture
Chapter 21 - The Finals
Chapter 22 - The Finals: Part 2
Just An Update
Chapter 23 - The Finals: Part 3
Chapter 24 - The Finals: Part 4
Chapter 25 - The Finals: Part 5
Author's Note
Chapter 26 - Invasion
Chapter 27 - Unstable Jinchuriki
Chapter 28 - Battle Royale!
Chapter 29 - Jinchuriki Showdown
Chapter 30 - Shukaku of the Sands
Chapter 31 - Invasion: A Corollary
The Suna Arc I: Retreat
The Suna Arc I: The Journey Back Home
The Suna Arc I: The Village Hidden in the Sand
The Suna Arc I: The Suna Advisory Council
The Suna Arc I: A New Purpose
The Suna Arc I: Breaking Dawn
Chapter 32 - Behind Enemy Lines
Chapter 33 - The Road to Recovery
Chapter 34 - The Road to Recovery Part 2: Anko's Curse Seal
Chapter 35 - Beginning the Search for Tsunade
Chapter 36 - Traveling with Pervy Sage
Just An Update: A Hiatus
Author's Note
Chapter 37 - Tanzaku Gai
Chapter 38 - Introduction to the Akatsuki
Chapter 39 - A Nick of Time
Chapter 40 - Tsunade Senju
Chapter 41 - The Slug Princess
Chapter 42 - The Race for Tsunade
Chapter 43 - The Race for Tsunade: Part 2
Chapter 44 - The Race for Tsunade: Part 3
Chapter 45 - The Sitting Duck: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions....
Chapter 46 - Tsunade's Choice and Revival
Chapter 47 - Battle of the Three Legendary Sannin
Chapter 48 - Battle of the Three Legendary Sannin Part 2: Return of the Slug
Chapter 49 - Battle of the Three Legendary Sannin Part 3: The Reunion
Chapter 50 - Lost and Found
Chapter 51 - Side Plans and Reunions Part 2: Return to the Wave
Just An Update
Chapter 52 - Return of the Last Senju
Chapter 53 - Godaime Hokage
Special Update: Happy Mother's Day!!!
Chapter 54 - Coping
Chapter 55 - A New Era

Chapter 7 - A Talk with Kurama

1.2K 34 3
By AGeekWithGlasses

Naruto sighed as he entered into his apartment. He shut and locked the door before activating the security seals in his apartment. Our favorite blonde then walked to his bedroom, stretching his back as he went. After checking his garden, Naruto secured his back door before going to his room. He began to undress himself and grabbed a towel from his drawer. After discarding his dirty clothes to the laundry, he walked into his bathroom and turned on the shower.

The blonde genin released a relaxing sigh as the hot water sprayed onto his back. He had just returned home from cleaning and repainting the Academy. The task took most of the day and he only finished it an hour ago. Well....he and team 7, he had to mentally refrain. He groaned at that thought.

After he arrived to the Academy with Iruka, Kakashi and his teammates showed up, looking for him. To make a long story short, Team 7 ended up spending most of their day cleaning Naruto's mess. Naruto was indifferent about the whole thing for the most part. In a way, he knew what Kakashi was doing when he made Sasuke and Sakura help him clean the orange paint off the academy building. He wanted to bring the team together, but most importantly, wanted to get closer to Naruto and probably keep an eye on him as well. However, the jinchuriki thought of his efforts futile. Kakashi had long ways to go if he ever wanted to get closer to him. And it would be a cold day in hell before team 7 becomes 'a true' team, if his sensei's ideals were anything to go by.

Once he was done washing himself, he rinsed before turning off the shower. He dried himself off and walked to the sink. After taking care of his hygiene, he proceeded to cut the bathroom light off and walk to his room. He put on a pair of boxers, some shorts, and a pair of socks. He yawned with a stretch as he walked toward the kitchen. After looking through his cabinets and refigerator, he decided he was just going to make instant ramen and call it a day.

While the ramen was being cooked in the microwave, the blonde walked to his living room. He pulsed his chakra into the floor, releasing the genjutsu seals on the floor. Suddenly, his seemingly empty apartment was now the sight of many shelves. His once bare walls were now filled with shelves of many books. Other shelves were filled with scrolls, organized by color. A door had also appeared in the hallway that led to his room, that wasn't there before.

Naruto walked up to the shelf of scrolls and stooped down to the lower shelf. He grabbed two scrolls from the lower shelf, both uniquely sealed with the candle-wax insignia of the whirlpool. Just as the microwave dinged, Naruto stood and began walking back to his kitchen. After he stirred his noodles and sat them on the table, he made a familiar hand-sign.

"Kage Bushin no Jutsu" he said before a clone popped into existence beside.

As Naruto sat down, the clones eyes became red with black slit. Doing a hand-sign, the clone transformed into an older man. He was tall, standing at 6'5" with long red hair. There were three pronounced whisker marks on each of his cheeks and his skin had a red tint to it. His canines were sharp and he had front bangs that covered his forehead. He wore a black kimono with red outlining. The man was most definitely attractive, his aura roaring with power. Said man looked down at Naruto who was slurping on some of his ramen noodles.

"Naruto" the man greeted with a foxy grin.

"Kurama" Naruto greeted as he ate. "It's been a moment."

"Indeed it has." Kurama said as he stretched his limbs. "I can't remember the last time I've been in this form."

"This is actually my first time seeing you in a human form." Naruto said as he gave Kurama the look over. "I can't say I'm impressed."

A tick mark formed on Kurama's head as he scowled at the blonde. "You're not much to look at yourself, brat." he said. "Besides, women fall at the feet of the almighty Kyuubi. They are honored to entertain a greater being such as myself."

Naruto just gave him a blank stare. "Right." he said boredly. "However, I do wonder about that though." he mused as he broke the seal of one of the scrolls.

"Hm, I tend not mettle with you mortals." Kurama said as he sat down at the table. "And there are not many human females that can handle me. Us bijuu are a bit more endowed than you mortals."

"Hn." Naruto said as he read over the document. "So the other bijuu have humanoid forms too, ne? I wonder what Nibi looks like. Bet she is a wildcat in bed." he commented with a smirk.

"She would eat you alive, boy." Kurama said. "Besides, don't you have your own little vixen to think about."

"True." Naruto said as he placed the open scroll down on the table. "However, we are not at that stage of our relationship, yet" he said as he broke the seal of the other scroll.

"If you can even call it that." Kurama muttered to himself, however, Naruto heard.

"I know. I'm not sure what to call it either, at this moment." he said.

Kurama just shrugged his shoulders as he stood and walked to the cabinets. He grabbed a pack of instant ramen and began prepare it.

"So what do you think?" Naruto said as he studied the scroll.

"I think that we should only move to prepare." Kurama said. "Like you said before, time shouldn't be tampered with. Trying to stop certain things from happening with definitely affect the outcomes of others." he mused.

Naruto nodded his head agreement. "Hokage, I don't doubt the Hokage is working behind the scenes to change certain things." Naruto said. "Especially the things involving me."

"Well we already know he will increase the ANBU watch. He would want to track your every move." Kurama commented as he took the ramen out of the microwave. "He is wary of you, now that the veil has been lifted from his eyes. Although he won't admit it, you are a threat."

Naruto slowly nodded. "We have to be more careful about our movement concerning Uzu. Thankfully, he doesn't know about the little project I've been working on. However, one little slip up with crash the entire operation." he said as he ran his hands through his hair.

Kurama remained silent as he walked back to the table with his cup of ramen. He sat the table and stirred his noodles as he watched the blonde. He could see the tiredness that shadowed his eyes as he read through the scrolls. He knew that pressures of his life was getting to him. Every since they saw the future, the kit had became a little more jumpy than usual. He sighed. He was going to worry himself to death. The rebuilding of Uzu was important to him. He would even argue that it was that very dream that kept the blonde sane most of time.

"Kit." Kurama called out.

"Yeah?" Naruto answered as he looked up from the scroll.

"Relax." Kurama advised. "You are not alone in this."

Naruto stared at Kurama for a moment as the bijuu ate his ramen. After a couple of moments, his calculative eyes softened a little. A small smile found its way onto his face as he looked back down at his scroll. He could always trust his tenant with his personal thoughts and feelings.

"Thank you, Kurama." Naruto said as he read his document.

"Hm. Whatever." Kurama waved off, even though a small smile appeared his face as well. "Someone needed to snap you out of your stupidity."

Naruto just shook his head as he continued to read over the document. "What are your thoughts on Sora-ku?" he asked.

"I agree that it could be a good investment. Although, it appeared to be a bit of a shanty town according to the projection." Kurama said as he finished his cup of ramen.

Naruto nodded his head in agreement. "Yes, that much was evident." he stated. "I was thinking about going to scout it myself after the Chunin Exams. From what I've heard over the years, it's a home of the black market."

"So what are you going to about that? You know they are not going to just let you takeover. People like that have probably already established their own territories." Kurama inquired.

"I honestly don't know yet." he said with a sigh. "I will have to observe things there for a minute."

"Maybe you can get Zabuza and Haku to do it." he mused.

"That's a negative." Naruto said as he sat the paper on the table and began to finish his ramen. "Zabuza is too well known and Haku is just not made for that lifestyle. Plus, it his better that I scout ahead before I send anyone there. I would still have to discuss it with Aizu and get his opinion on it."

"How many tails of your chakra would it take to make a long lasting blood clone?" Naruto asked.

Kurama raised an eyebrow at the blonde. "You want me to go?" he questioned.

"Yes." Naruto answered.

"Why?" Kurama asked.

"One because I trust you." Naruto answered bluntly. "Second, because I know you will get the job done. Third, because you're an deadly motherfucker who can make even the greatest Hokage piss himself with enough killer intent."

"Flattery doesn't suit you." Kurama said.

"I know, but you are narcissistic bastard who has a bigger ego than an Uchiha, or Hyuga for that matter." Naruto answered. "Besides, you know its true. If anyone can successfully fit into that trade, its you."

"I don't know whether to feel delighted or insulted." Kurama deadpanned.

"Take it how you see fit." Naruto said. "What of your thoughts of everything else we've seen?"

"I never told I would do it." Kurama said.

"I know you will." Naruto replied. "You would love nothing more than instill fear into the bags of flesh you complain about."

"........." was Kurama blank response.

Naruto rolled his eyes and continued the conversation. "I still don't know what to do about the Atatsuki. I am sure they are a threat in the future, but I don't know much about their recent activities."

"Perhaps you should get some eyes on them first." Kurama replied. "Like we said earlier, we don't need to offset something that will change what happens in the future."

Naruto nodded in agreement. "I was thinking the same thing." he said as he stood from the table. He went into his top cabinet and pulled out a bottle of sake and two dishes before returning to the table. "I planned on doing a little investigating during this mission to hunt Orochimaru. Perhaps I can tap into the Toad Sannin's spy network to see what I can find."

Kurama raised an eyebrow as he watched Naruto pour two cups of sake. "I thought you didn't drink." he said as he took a cup.

"Tonight is just one of those nights, my furry friend." Naruto said as he took a swig of his drink.

"Brat." Kurama said as he took a drink as well.

"Aizu found three more Uzumaki's." Naruto informed. "I wonder if Uzu is finished. The number of those who survived the invasion is still unknown. Right now, there are only five known survivors that I have found."

Kurama said nothing. He just drunk the last bit of his sake and poured himself another cup. The two sat in silence for moment until Naruto spoke again.

"I don't think I'm going to do anything else concerning what we saw in those projections." Naruto said, catching Kurama's attention. "I think the best move is to adjust accordingly and be as subtle as possible. There is no doubt that more eyes will be on me in the upcoming days. A risk of compromise is unacceptable."

"Why?" Kurama asked curiously.

"I don't see a point in doing anything about the future. It's futile." Naruto said. "The only thing I need to focus on is securing that future. Especially with the growing threats towards it."

Kurama nodded in understanding. There wasn't much the blonde could do at the moment. Not enough information is known to make effective moves and once again, mettling with time wasn't a good idea for anyone.

"So how's that restaurant of yours going?" Kurama asked.

A large grin spread on his face as he looked at his partner. "Kasai Kyūden should be open by the time the Chunin Exams begin." Naruto informed. "Right now, the finishing touches and employment are the last things on the to-do list."

"So are you going to be at the opening?" Kurama inquired.

"Unfortunately, I won't." Naruto responded. "The restaurant manager will be acting in my stead."

"Does the manager even know who you are?" Kurama asked curiously.

"Actually, he does." Naruto said. "I thought it would make things a bit easier in the case of things get a bit out of hand. Besides, I trust him enough to keep his mouth shut."

"Who is he?" Kurama questioned.

"A poor guy picked off the streets from the slums." he said causally.

"......what?" Kurama said with a light sweat-drop.

"Hojo. You know, that beggar that would sometimes hang around the red light district at night?" Naruto said.

Kurama's sweat-dropped grew larger. "You mean that pathetic mortal who sleeps in that abandoned warehouse a couple of streets down?" he said. "That guy is a total nutcase. He belongs in a mental ward."

"Don't we all?" Naruto commented.

"No." Kurama deadpanned.

"Listen, sure Hojo might not be the most sensible person you know." Naruto said, earning a raised eyebrow from Kurama. "But, the guy's street smart. When you take the time to talk to him and actually watch him, you'll see that behind his mess of craziness, is a sharp eye."

"All he needed was a little refinement." he concluded.

Kurama looked at him skeptically. "How long were you planning this?" he asked.

"I approached him last year, while the restaurant was in the middle of construction." Naruto informed. "He was skeptic at first, but I managed to convince him that it was legit and made him an offer."

"And what was this offer?" the bijuu questioned.

"A job, duh." Naruto deadpanned. "And a good paying job at that."

Kurama rolled his eyes. "What does a street rat know about running a high scale restaurant anyway." he said.

Naruto stared at his friend. "You really don't like this guy, huh?" he replied.

"No. He's actually tolerable." Kurama said as he chugged down another dish of sake. "I just don't understand your choice of employee."

Naruto sighed in mock exasperation. "Hojo is street smart, meaning that he can read people and situations and adjust according. He would know if someone was bullshitting or being honest, whether they were a feudal lord or a common civilian. You don't hang around the slums all day and not pick up a thing or two." he explained.

"Second, the man is loyal and understand business. The first question he asked me when I was finally able to convince him I was serious, was what did I want." Naruto continued. "He was straight and concise, and not one for playing mind games. His craziness only gives him an edge and I'm sure he wouldn't have a problem getting the staff to obey him."

"The guy is a quick learner." Naruto replied. "After I showed him the ropes of how I wanted things to run and explained to him what everything was, the man was able to adjust fairly well. Now, I just need to see him action."

Kurama continued to stare at him skeptically. "If he is as good as you say, then I doubt there wasn't any side deals or compromises." he said.

"I guess your right in that respect." Naruto responded. "He only agreed to do so if I paid him his set salary during his training as well. It was doable and fair request."

Kurama stared at the blonde before sighing. "I guess." was all he said as he took a swig of sake. "Any updates on Uzushiogakure?"

"Yes, actually." Naruto said. "I met with one of my clones last week before it popped. You know, the one I had to scout the true lands of Uzushiogakure?" he asked. Kurama nodded.

"The place is beautiful, Kurama." Naruto said with a real smile on his face. "I didn't know our lands were that big. It took the clone a full year scout all of the land. I'm glad I decided to give it a tail worth of chakra."

"The place is comprised of five large island surrounded by smaller islands. If I didn't know any better, I would say that the lands are great enough to be considered a continent itself, although that is probably a bit extreme." he said, saying the last part thoughtfully. "Perhaps the safest description to go with as far as size, is that it is much larger than the largest nation within the Elemental Nations." he concluded. Kurama raised an eyebrow, but didn't say anything.

"While the temperature is fairly warm, the terrain is quite different than what I've encountered in my travels." Naruto said. "While I don't think we would experience winters, there are some mountainous regions that are icy and can reach very cold temperatures. But, for the most part, there is much vegetation on the land and plenty of natural sites to see. The islands are simply breathtaking."

Kurama stayed quiet as he listened to his container give his report on Uzushiogakure. He watched as he smiled when he talked about the place. His usually cold blue eyes lit as he listed the sites 'he' had visited. He had never seen his kit so happy. It has been many years since he last seen the young Uzumaki smile the way was when talking about his ancestral lands. The bijuu chuckled to himself.

The kid actually looked his age as he watch him talk about his adventures in the foreign lands. Despite of hating him at first, the bijuu wanted to see the boy happy. His life had been hell every since he came out of his mother's womb. The things the child been through, shouldn't have been experienced by him. The kit deserved better. And if helping him get out of this hypocritical village he grew to scorn would make him happy, he would do so.

"Sounds like you had fun." Kurama said in clear amusement, earning a light blush from the blonde.

"Tch, whatever, Kurama." Naruto said as he turned his nose up at him, defiantly. "But really, if you'd actually seen it, you could see why the Uzumaki clan kept it a secret and hid it from the rest of the world." he said seriously.

"I'll just have a look through your memories later." Kurama replied. "At least it'll give me something to do while you're clowning."

Naruto rolled his eyes and poured himself a second dish of sake. "What is an Ōtsutsuki?" he questioned.

This question stomped Kurama for a minute. "What did you say?" he asked.

"Ōtsutsuki." Naruto said. "You mentioned that name when you were teasing me about my last name during the projections two days ago. Who are they?"

Kurama stared at his cup for a moment before looking at the blonde, who was staring at him intensely. The bijuu lightly sweat at the cold and calculative blue eyes.

Kurama cleared his throat before he spoke. "The Ōtsutsuki is the mother clan of the Hyuga, Senju, Uzumaki, and Uchiha clans." he answered carefully. "I called you by that last name because of your Senju, Uzumaki, and Uchiha blood."

Naruto just stared at him. He knew the bijuu wasn't lying, but he could still tell that he was hiding something from him. The Uzumaki fought to restrain himself from bombarding his partner with questions. As much as he wanted to demand a true reason, the current genin knew it had to be for a good reason. One thing he could honestly say about his fox friend was that he never lied to him. Unlike others who only fed him lies and half-truths. In other words, Naruto trusted him. He deduced that if Kurama was hiding something from him, there had to be a good reason for it. Despite of not liking to be kept in the dark about things, he would relinquish those feelings and allow the bijuu to tell him when he felt the time was right.

"Hn." was all Naruto said as he gulped down the rest of his sake.

Kurama looked at the genin in slight surprise. "Is that all you have to say?" he asked, slightly dumbfounded.

"What else could I possibly say?" Naruto asked with a raised eyebrow.

"I don't know." the fox said dumbly. "I expect you to demand an answer from me and shower me with a shitload of questions." he answered honestly.

"Hn." Naruto responded again. "Don't need to."

"Why?" Kurama asked.

"Because I trust you." Naruto stated simply.

Kurama's eyes quickly shifted over to two the blonde genin, who was currently taking a swig of his sake. His steel blue eyes met his red ones as they stared at each other. Kurama could sense no deception or falseness in his eyes. Under his stoic gaze, was assurance and conviction that he had witnessed the day pair decided that they would cooperate with each other. Naruto was the first one to break the gaze, taking another drink of his alcohol. The tense silence remained between the two until Kurama finally found the words to speak.

"So when are you going to start training to learn how to use my chakra?" Kurama asked, breaking the silence.

Naruto shrugged his shoulders. "I honestly don't know."

"Hm." Kurama said as he took a drink of his sake. "You should start soon. Let's not forget how you almost lost control during the Wave Mission."

Naruto sighed at that. "Yeah..." he replied. "Just....give me a couple of more months, Kurama. I promise I'll get to it eventually."

The bijuu just grunted. The remained in silence as they drank the last contents of the bottle of sake. After they were finished, Naruto cleared the table and washed the dirty dishes. After he made sure the kitchen was clean, he told Kurama goodnight before dispelling the clone. With a yawn, the young Uzumaki entered his bedroom and plopped on the bed. He glanced at his clock that read 11:00. He groaned at how late it was. It didn't help that he had to wake up before daybreak to go on his mission. He sighed as he got under the covers and rested his head on his pillows. He said a small prayer for his parents before he fell into the resting arms of sleep. He would be leaving the next morning to hunt the Snake Sannin.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

65.1K 2K 10
It's been 12 years since the Kyuubi attack. The villagers still beat, abuse, rape.. anything you could possibly think of to the kyuubis jailer, Naru...
54.2K 1.9K 43
Naruto Uzumaki was the last survivor. Last. Madara had killed everyone, and got rid of everything. Nothing was left. Naruto is about to end it all, b...
220K 8.8K 37
(This story is based with the fact that the anime does not exist, therefore [Y/N] has no idea of the Akatsuki). What will the Akatsuki do when Tobi...
345K 8.3K 40
What if Naruto was a prodigy and was heir to two of the three most powerful clans in the elemental nations. Naruto Uzumaki Senju the son of Kushina U...