Steady On.

By MadAsAlice94

Set right after the battle on Crait. Rey and Ben Solo / Kylo Ren, the conflicted souls, are eager for the oth... More

Chapter 1.
Chapter 2.
Chapter 3.
Chapter 4.
Chapter 5.
Chapter 6.
Chapter 7.
Chapter 8.
Chapter 9.
Chapter 10.
Chapter 11.
Chapter 12.
Chapter 13.
Chapter 14.
Chapter 15.
Chapter 16.
Chapter 17.
Chapter 18.
Chapter 19.
Chapter 20.
Chapter 21.
Chapter 22.
Chapter 23.
Chapter 24.
Chapter 25.
Chapter 26.
Chapter 27.
Chapter 28.
Chapter 29.
Chapter 30.
Chapter 31.
Chapter 32.
Chapter 34.
Chapter 35.
Chapter 36.
Chapter 37.
Chapter 38.
Chapter 39.
Chapter 40.
Chapter 41.
Chapter 42.
Chapter 43.
Chapter 44.
Chapter 45.
Chapter 46.
Chapter 47.
Chapter 48.
Chapter 49.
Chapter 50.
Chapter 51.
Chapter 52.
Chapter 53.
Chapter 54.
Chapter 55.
Chapter 56.
Chapter 57.
Chapter 58.
Chapter 59.
Chapter 60.
Chapter 61.
Chapter 62.
Chapter 63.
Chapter 64.
Chapter 65.
Chapter 66.
Chapter 67.

Chapter 33.

7.8K 173 72
By MadAsAlice94

(Before the Events at Cinnon'Ra)

The journey was long, almost too long. The closer they grew to the city, and the farther they flew from home, made Rey feel more anxious than ever. She tried to meditate, and found it to be too difficult to sit still, her mind racing with different outcomes and possibilities for their plan.

In the end, Rey decided to tinker with the tracking device that was to be carried with BB-8, making sure that the signal would be able to last farther than expected, and remain mute throughout their time in the city.

From the cockpit, Chewie roared loud enough to fill every corner of the Falcon, alerting the team that they have arrived and landed on the docking station hidden behind a waterfall, just as Flora and Kai instructed.

Rey's stomach clenched as she walked towards the lounge area where Flora and Kai were sorting through their disguises, tossing Rey's to her.

"I suggest you get changed now. The sooner we leave, the better." Flora mumbled as she unstrapped her boot and kicked it off.

Rey unfolded the outfit that was tossed to her, struggling to swallow over the giant lump in her throat as she looked over the sheer skirt, wondering where the rest of the pieces were.

"Don't worry about it, we'll be blending in. In fact, we might even be wearing too much clothes." Kai said, winking to Rey. Rey inhaled sharply, resisting the urge to grab her lightsaber and tear through the city herself.

'Remember the plan.' a voice whispered to her. Rey quickly turned around, looking for the source but only coming face to face with the rusted wall of the kitchenette.

'That sounded like...' Rey's thought trailed off as Kai came up to her, holding a large silver necklace up to her neck, inspecting it against Rey's skin.

"Take this one. It'll distract from the eyes." Kai said, shoving the piece into Rey's hand that was still gripping the outfit.

Rey blinked a few times, and turned around again. "Did either of you hear anything? I could have sworn..." Again, Rey was cut off by BB-8 rolling around the corner of the hall and right up to her.

The unit whistled and beeped to her, letting her know that it did not detect any life sources around the area.

Rey 's attention snapped back to the task at hand, sighing as she winced at the garment, deciding to suck it up and change, knowing that there was no way around this, and it was far too late to turn back now.

( X )

Nearly four hours later, the team stood together at the end of an underground tunnel that they traveled through to get into the middle of the city, undetected by any resident.

Once they came above ground, Chewie said his farewell, having done his part and escorted them through the tunnels. There was no way they would be able to get to the theater the feast was being held at with Chewie standing out. So, it was decided that he would be skipping out until later.

As for BB-8, he was currently traveling with the trio, hidden beneath Rey's large, black cloak. It made walking rather awkward, but the girls huddled together so they wouldn't raise any suspicion.

The three women made their way through the crowds of Cinnon'Ra, the streets filled busy bodies, every face showing a scowl or scar, most times both. Rey had to be constantly reminded to keep her head down, and make sure her face was shielded by the sheer veil, yet at times, she could not resist the urge to glance up.

There were vendors parked at every empty spot of the dirt roads, offering all types of illegal services and arms, some offering food and basic needs. It seemed that every person that was awake, was smoking some type of cigar or cigarette, the stench in the air mixed with the sweat and alcohol made their noses tingle.

Rey noticed a few kids jumping into a muddy puddle of to the side, and as she began to smile at the pure innocence that was seemed to be so scarce in the city, her smile washed away as she watched the same kids run up to a group of people and pickpocket them.

Rey's face fell, remembering a time not too long ago when she had to do the same, in hopes that she'd have a meal for the first time that week.

It was a game of survival.

In this galaxy, it always was.

( X )

'There! To the left!' Kai said excitedly to her both her sister and Rey's minds. Rey glanced to her, and Kai nodded into the direction that the theater was at.

It was hidden rather well in the mix of giant, green trees, the only thing in the city that showed any sign of life. She refused to count the stealing and arms trading as life, things she had witnessed on their long walk from the Falcon.

The women shuffled off from their path and up the stone walkway, choosing to go through the exit door off to the side of the building. From the outside, Rey could already hear the yelling and joyous singing from the big crowd inside, the audience spilling out onto the balcony that had a giant docking station, no doubt for the Challengers.

As they made their way inside, the serving staff rushed by them in bundles, eager to get the next batch of food and drinks to the proper tables and guests, paying no mind to the three women that had just entered.

Flora turned back to Rey, who nodded towards a door down the hall that cast no shadow of light in the creases.

'There. It must be empty.' she said to their minds.

Slowly, they made their way into the room, Kai turning the light on as soon as Rey had waddled inside. She closed the door, her back pressed against it as she yanked the sheer veil down beneath her chin and deeply inhaled.

A chunk of tension left the three of them as BB-8 rolled out from the cloak, a soft series of beeps escaping to show his own sign of relief.

Flora stretched her arms, letting the aches of anxiety roll away from her as Rey and Kai rolled their necks around.

"There," Kai sighed, a soft smile creeping across her face. "We made it!" She exclaimed, louder that she intended.

Rey's eyes widened as the music outside transitioned to another song, the moment of silence taking place as Kai spoke. The following moment, a loud bang hit the door, making Rey jump. BB-8 quickly rolled beneath a table in the corner of the room, Flora and Kai's hands flying to their weapons placed on the inside of their skirts.

Rey's hand shot up to let them know to be quiet and hold fire, channeling the force to get a feel for the atmosphere the stranger brought. She squared her shoulders and placed the veil back on her face, turning the doorknob to open the door and opening it only an inch.

A tall man towered over on the other side of the door, his face painted with all sorts of ink. "Who are you? This is my dressing room!" He bellowed.

For a moment, Rey froze and her instincts begged to be let loose, yet she refrained. Instead, she smiled as she spoke softly. "We just needed to get dressed. Be out shortly."

The man's big hand shot out to hold the door from closing, irritating Rey instantly.

"I said this is MY dressing room. Guards-" He began to yell behind him, but Rey placed a soft hand on his forearm, making him freeze. He turned to meet her eyes, suddenly lost and without purpose.

"You will find another room, and speak nothing of this encounter." Rey's voice spilled into him, all silk and stern. The man's demeanor changed, suddenly friendly and eager to please, completely unaware that she was using the force to control his weak being.

He smiled down towards her, Rey never breaking eye contact.

"I will find another room, and speak nothing of this encounter." He joyfully said, turning on his heel to go find another room.

Rey watched through the creak of the door to ensure he did as was told, and was thrilled to see it had worked when he drifted from room to room, looking for a new spot to ready himself at.

Just as she was going to close the door, a voice down the hall caught her attention, and she froze to listen.

"Cosic, there is no way that Vicar would win this challenge if properly testified. Kylo Ren could very well be our next leader." A woman said to a man that was leaning against a wall down the hallway. It seemed to Rey that they were trying their best to talk in hushed tones, but with the booming loud music in the building, it was difficult to speak without someone else hearing.

"I don't give a damn. Kylo will get rid of that vile man. I'd rather serve Kylo than Vicar, hell, I'm sure half the galaxy would prefer that. But, you hear me now, the moment Ren takes over that spot, I'll be next in line." The man named Cosic said proudly.

The remark made Rey grip the doorknob harder than she intended.

"You mean you'll kill Kylo?" the woman asked, a hint of laughter hidden beneath her tone.

"The prince of darkness? As long as he gets Vicar out of my way, you can count on that." With that said, the pair laughed as they left the hallway and re-joined their own group.

Rey watched the empty hallway a moment longer, daring the man to enter her view once more. With an angry sigh, Rey shut the door and shut her eyes, a pounding headache threatening her temples.

It seemed Kylo had many more enemies here than she had thought.

Turning back to the girls, Rey met the excited eyes of Kai. "Wow! That was really impressive. Have you done that a lot? Force someone to do something else like that?" she asked, Flora stood behind, wordlessly eager for the answer as well.

The look on their faces almost made Rey smile.

Almost.

"Yes. It can be draining though. I've only tried a few times. I don't know... I was just frightened." Rey replied, fidgeting aimlessly with a jewel that was sewn onto her belt. Rey was reminded of the costume she wore, and her stomach began to turn again.

"Don't fret. Remember the plan." Flora said quietly to Rey. She met the younger girls gaze, and Flora gave a reassuring nod, which Rey returned.

Taking a deep breath, Rey unclasped her cloak, letting it fall to the floor. Suddenly, a loud roar of applause and cheers burst out through the halls from the balcony, welcoming the newest visitor.

"Kylo Ren!" a man's husky voice boomed with excitement as he welcomed him.

Heat threatened to roll up Rey's cheeks, suddenly nervous and excited that she was so near to him.

'No. Control yourself... He'll pick up on my energy, easily.' Rey scolded herself. She quickly worked to relieve herself of any tension, closing her eyes to focus all of her energy to building a block that surrounded Flora, Kai, and herself. It was draining, but at this point, she had no choice.

Rey truly hated to admit it, but Kylo was more experienced with the force than she was, and she knew the moment he felt her presence, he would try to stop her with whatever she was planning on doing.

Wetting her lips, Rey sighed as she met Kai and Flora's eyes, who were now in their own costumes, their cloaks joining Rey's on the ground.

BB-8 hesitantly rolled to Rey's side, turning his head to inquire about the time.

Rey nodded at the bot. "Yes, it's time. You remember what to do?" Rey asked as she knelt down to the ground, pulling out a small device and handing it over to BB-8's now extended claw. "Play this the moment we step out there, and stay out of the way. It's going to get crazy. You've already sent Chewie our location?" she asked. BB-8 whistled a confirmation, and made his way next to a trash can that sat in the corner of the room.

Rey followed, flipping the can over and emptying the contents as Flora and Kai watched her cover the droid with it, giving it his own disguise.

"Go, then." Rey said, a forced smile on his lips as she walked to the door, and opening it to look down both directions of the hallway. She took a moment to ensure no one was approaching, and was satisfied when it remained empty, the kitchen staff now taking care of their guests in the hall.

She widened the door enough for BB-8 to roll out and watched as he scurried off to find the link system to the speakers.

"Alright. Let's do this." Flora said.

A heavy wave of energy hit them all, a bouncing sensation that consisted of determination and easiness. Rey was not sure which of the girls reflected it, but either way she grateful.

Without another word, the girls made their way out, Rey instructing Kai and Flora to go around the stage and through the center of the hall, in hopes of taking eyes off the main stage.

Approaching the end of the hall, Rey made sure to adjust the veil so that it would not slip off at any time as she replayed the movements the trio had practiced endlessly for.

Over the intercom, a sultry song began to play, and the band that was playing on the opposite stage went silent as all of the guest's attention flew to Flora and Kai as they made their way to the stage.

From the far end, Rey noticed Kai bump into Kylo Ren, who seemed to be on alert.

She had seen that exact stance far too many times now. He knew something was going on, but he still hadn't figured it out.

Standing tall and swallowing her nervousness as it rose, Rey made her way out onto the stage, keeping her eyes cast down as she moved her arms slowly to the beat of the song that played.

Flora and Kai joined her at her sides, and together, all three women channeled the force, combining their energy into a smooth vine that enwrapped them. With this, they moved together, completely in synch with every breath they took and every move they made.

Their hips jutted, their legs moved this way and that, the jewels on their outfits singing their own song as they moved seductively to the beat.

As their arms stretched out to the crowd, they folded back in towards the hip hidden from the audience, each person in the theater unaware that the girls were shimming their belts down a fraction to expose their weapons.

By the second time they did this move, Rey felt a sudden spike of anger and shock hit the atmosphere, and a wave flowed from Kai and Flora, alerting Rey that now was the moment.

Rey let her eyes drift quickly to Kylo, who was standing now, and took noted to the person named Cosic sitting near him, the one who spoke of killing Kylo himself. As the recognition settled, Rey noticed Kylo's hand fall to the hilt of his saber and he began to move to step forward.

'Now!' Rey yelled to Flora and Kai's minds.

The third time the brought their arms to their hips, they each grasped their daggers, gripping it to influence their aim as they extended their arms quickly in the direction of their target.

Rey took aim at Cosic, her dagger hitting him right in the heart as one of Flora's hit the woman next to him, another Knight of Ren.

Kai threw two daggers towards the biggest men that guarded their table, one that was already prepared to shoot his gun at Flora, and the other, completely mindless to the events that were unfolding.

The theater erupted in screams and yells, mostly drunken orders to fire their guards' weapons.

By this time, Chewie arrived and was already taking his place at the side of the stage, shielding the girls from any oncoming attack by firing his blaster first. Rey looked towards the wookie, who tossed the lightsaber she had him hold on to directly into her hands.

She ignited the sword, purple and white whipping out from the saber as she swung it through the air. Running to the edge, she used the force to bring forward one of Vicar's men to her, slicing him with the weapon as she turned her attention to Vicar.

"Chewie! There!" Rey yelled to him, and Chewie took aim and shot directly at Vicar, piercing the flesh on his shoulder, nearly missing his neck. Rey watched with disgust as Vicar moved to use the girl on his lap as a human shield, only taking half the damage intended.

Off to the side, Rey noticed Flora and Kai took out half of the guards that the First Order traveled with, including some of the Knights of Ren.

Her attention back on Vicar, Rey's gaze never left him as she reached to the back of her belt, taking out her final dagger. With long strides, Rey stalked over to him as random people scurried to get out of the theater, people falling over others and giving no care to step on them as long as they themselves got out.

In the background, she heard her name being called over and over, but refused to pay any mind to them as she had the perfect shot at Vicar, her arm raising with the dagger in line. Just as she was going to let it fly from her hand, someone grabbed her wrist with such strength that she had no choice but to let the dagger fall from her hand as she cried out from pain.

Rey whipped around, her wrist still caught, and her eyes widened as she met Sano's eyes.

"Jedi scum." Was all Rey heard before his closed fist landed on her temple, and her world turned black.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

60.6K 1.4K 58
Lillian always felt alone in the galaxy, even with Rey at her side. That was until Poe Dameron flew into her life. Now Lillian, Rey, her new friend F...
30K 733 30
Moving in with a step brother and Stepdad was not on your bingo card for the summer, but life is full of surprises, and this is not a welcome one. Wh...
36.1K 838 18
This takes place during and after TLJ! Ben Solo x Rey Ben offers Rey his hand after deafening Snoke, yet Rey's mind and Amherst are torn in to by a...
716 25 18
After events of The Last Jedi, Kylo Ren seeks for secrets to more power, while General Hux seeks to destroy him. Rey searches for Force sensitive pe...