||ODDS|| Newt x Reader In The...

By yolo_gryffindor

(Y/n), a girl from District 4, gets chosen to be one of the tributes from her district for the 72nd hunger ga... More

ODDS
The day it all changed: Finnick Odair
Newt
Annie
2. Fancy People, Fancy Dresses
3. Meeting the rest of the Prey
4. Blue paint's a tenner
5. Pretences
6. Hot Chocolates and Arenas
7. Blood, Sweat and unshed Tears
8. Oh Snap!
9. My Ally and Blueberries
10. It All Happened Very Quickly
11. Reunions with Strangers
12. Midnight (not so good) Memories
13. Shut up?
14. Treenie and Eddie
15. Green as far as the eye can see
16. Fleur De Lis
17. Mentoring? Bad idea. Nightlocks? Worse
18. End of the Day
19. Night Changes... into a Nightmare
20. Carefully Knitted Golden Nets
21. Spotlights have Consequences
22. Up in the Air
23. It's All About Trust
24. Zero O'Clock
25. Maybe I Miss You
26. Running through the Jungle
27. Red and Blue
28. The Cat's in the Bag
29. Sweet Dreams
30. Say Cheese for the Cameras
31. Fireproof
32. Who has the Power?
33. Louder Than Bombs
34. Aren't Roses supposed to be Red?
35. Sing Me To Sleep
36. The Truth Untold
37. Bulletproof
38. Standing in a nice Dress
39. The Game is On
40. Never been so Defenceless
41. You Know It All, You're My Best Friend
42. Change My Mind
43. The Final Mission
Epilogue: Home
Bonus: Safe And Sound

1. The Beginning

6.9K 179 231
By yolo_gryffindor

It started on the morning of the reaping for the 72nd Hunger Games

*

I woke up to the sight of the district covered in snow. It rarely snows in 4. The joy from the pleasant fall of the snowflakes and giggling children playing in it was disturbed by the thoughts of the games. Today was the reaping for the 72nd hunger games. It was my last year to be enrolled in the reaping list since my 18th birthday was last week. I kept fiddling with the pendant Newt had given to me 6 years ago. I got out of my bed and got ready for the day ahead.

I made my way to Newt's house and found Finnick and Annie cuddling on the couch. A small tinge of jealousy sparked in my heart at the love they had for eachother, for I wanted someone like that too. I walked into the kitchen to find Newt and Clara sitting on the counter and talking. I opened the fridge and grabbed a bar of chocolate. I took a bite and sighed with satisfaction at the divine taste.

"We have to be there at the district center in 15 minutes." I mumbled.

Newt came over to me, grabbed my bar and took a bite out of it before saying, "Then let's get going, shall we?"
____________________________________________________

We made our way to the district center and the three of them went up to the pavilion while I trudged over to the assembly area. A different capitol lady walked upto the stage and began the same ritual. I, as usual, tuned out. It had become the same routine every year.

Go to the district center, stand with the crowd, wait for the tributes to be picked, go back home.

The capitol lady went to the girls bowl first and picked up a chit. For the past 5 years, my name had not been picked. I didn't bother to even hear whose name was called. I was looking at the patterns on my shoes when suddenly someone nudged my arm. I looked up to see a girl looking at me with a sympathetic smile. I looked around and found everyone staring at me. I furrowed my eyebrows with confusion. I looked at Annie who was sobbing into Finnick's chest. He gave a tight lipped smile while hugging her. I looked at Newt to find his eyes filled with tears, and when he caught my eyes, he looked away. "What happened?" I mumbled out, getting very scared.

The girl next to me told, "Your name was called out."
Then, It hit me like a ton of bricks and my eyed widened.

I was a tribute for the games now.

I froze in my spot. A peacekeeper came up to me and told me to go to the stage. I took a step forward, my shaking legs. I felt the bile rise in my throat as I made my way on to the stage and stood there whilst shaking like a leaf. A million thoughts were running inside my head as I clutched the pendant Newt gave me.

"And now for the boys." The lady spoke into the mic and went towards the other bowl. I looked up to know who my district partner would be.

Whom I may kill or who may kill me.

She picked up a chit and read the name aloud. "Chad Wayne." I gave a small smile in relief. Chad was a strong built boy yet he had little to no brains. He was quite popular and thus got a lot of cheers as he made his way up the stage. We shook hands and the peacekeepers escorted us into the rooms.

I had been here 3 times before, but this time, in a total different position. This time I was the one everyone would say goodbye to. I sat on the couch and waited for my friends to come.

Five minutes later, the door bursted open and Annie ran in. She threw her arms around me and cried into my shoulder. Tears welled up in my eyes but I held them back. I needed to be strong. As she pulled away I saw Clara behind her. She gave a small smile and engulfed me in a warm hug. I looked for Finnick and Newt, but they were nowhere to be seen.

"Where are they?" I asked Clara.

"They are just talking outside, they'll be here" she replied.

A few minutes later, the both of them walked in. Finnick strode over to me and lifted me into a bear hug. I wrapped my arms around him and hugged him tight. We pulled away and he looked at me with sad eyes. I gave him a smile in assurance that I would be okay.

I looked behind him to see Newt. I walked in front of him and looked into those chocolate brown eyes.
This might have been the last time I would see them. And that is when I broke down, realising that I may not be able to tell him what I truly felt about him.

My lips started to quiver and all those unshed tears came running down my cheeks as Newt gently pulled me into a hug. I sobbed into his shoulder as he rubbed my back in a soothing manner. He whispered sweet words into my ear like 'it will be alright' and 'you are going win'. I looked up to his eyes and asked, "Who will be my mentor?"

"Of course it's me. I'm not going to leave you with that idiot" Newt replied, gesturing towards Finnick. Finnick sent a small glare while I laughed lightly. The peacekeepers came in and asked for Finnick, Annie and Clara to leave. I gave them all one last hug, and hastily wiped my tears away.

After they left, I turned to Newt and asked, "Now what?"

"Well, we need to get you to the capitol", He replied flatly.
____________________________________________________

At the train station, I met Chad officially. He was a goofy, funny and a very clumsy guy. He literally tripped on air. After the introductions, we boarded the train. It wa a gigantic mansion on wheels! It had bedrooms, dining areas, elegant toilets, sofas and even a huge TV in every room! It was atleast 10 times bigger than my home.

I walked into the main area along with Newt and Chad to find the capitol lady sitting there. "Hello my darlings, I am Natasha, your escort." She said in her fake capitol voice and greeted us with a kiss on the cheek. "Make yourselves at home. We shall reach the Capitol tomorrow morning. Now off you go!" Natasha had blond hair and bright blue eyes. Her hair was tied up into a pony, very unlikely of a capitol resident.

I went into my the room assigned for me and looked around. It was posh and fancy but had an elegance to it. I made my way to the bathroom, hoping to wash away the anxious feeling of the pending games.

After a long needed shower I went and plopped down on the couch in one of the rooms on the train. Newt sat beside me while Chad took the other couch. Nat played the tape of the other district reapings. From district one, was a guy named Jared. He had blond hair and grey eyes and was definitely good looking and by his posture, a confident lad. The girl, Isabella, had red hair and dark blue eyes. She was smiling like an idiot at all the attention she received while standing on the stage. Then from district 2 were Ashton and Stephanie. These 4 along with Chad and I will constitute the careers. District 1, 2 and 4 are the wealthier districts in Panem, so even though it is illegal, we train before we get reaped just to be prepared for the games. The careers are the strongest and most vicious of the tributes. They never hesitate to kill . After we looked through all the reapings, we started talking about strategy. I did not wish to kill at all. There were a few threats to be considered, but other than that, with a bit of cunningness, I could win the games.

After we finished up for the night, I headed to my room and laid down on the bed and closed my eyes just to let everything sink in.

I am a tribute for the games. I am going to the capitol tomorrow. Oh snap. My parents will be there. I haven't seen them for years. What will they say? Will they-

My thoughts were interrupted when someone landed next to me, a grunt was heard from the impact. I jumped up and saw Newt, who was lying down on his stomach, his head buried in the pillow.

I laid back down and he turned around. After a while, he said, "Tomorrow you will be taken to the training center. After freshening up you will meet your prep team and stylist. Then you will be transformed into a plastic doll, by that I mean they shall smother you with makeup and dress you up like a clown because you have to parade around the city circle on a chariot. Thank god my prep was sweet enough to apply only a little makeup on my face." He chuckled. "And then the next day training starts. There are many different stations for you to learn and practice, like weaponry or fire starting or to identify plants and insects. This will go on for two days. On the third day you will have a private session where you will showcase your skills. If you get a good score, you get sponsors. And then all the tributes will have an interview which will be aired all through the country. Again you will be drowned in makeup." He said and then a hint of pain flashed in his eyes. "Then the next day you will be sent up in the arena to fight to death." He finished.

I scooted closer and hugged him by the waist. He put his hand around my hip and held me close. He kissed my forehead. Cue the blush. "I wish things were different.

"Let's go eat dinner." I said and got up, desperately trying to hide my flustered face. We walked down the corridor and went to the dining area. My mouth watered at the sight of the food. Chad was busy stuffing his face while Natasha was looking at him with a frown on her face. I took a plate and filled it up with a variety of food. I sat down and started eating to my heart's content. Newt chuckled as Natasha made a comment on how women should have decency.

"Who cares about decency Nat?! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE." I exclaimed before stuffing my face with more food. She let out a small chuckle and Newt and Chad doubled over laughing. I grinned before moving on to desserts.

After wishing everyone a good night I made my way to my room and slumped down onto the bed. I drifted off to sleep, the thoughts of tomorrow's events, in the back of my mind.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.8K 71 26
Y/N Y/L/N is announced to be the district 4 female tribute for the 73rd Hunger Games. She has to leave her little sister with her dead beat siblings...
86.8K 1.8K 23
~Book 1 in the Saving Sage Series~ "Ladies and Gentlemen! Welcome to the 73rd Hunger Games!" As Finnick Odair's little brother's best friend Sage Be...
5.7K 98 13
"One, the Princess of Panem. Extremely dangerous took out sixteen tributes during her Games. Do not underestimate." "How is she a weakness then." "...
46.3K 1.2K 32
if you were the ocean then I'd be a wave for the moment we part I crash and I break - ranata suzuki EXTENDED SUMMARY INSIDE FEMALE OC x FINNICK ODAIR...