Steady On.

By MadAsAlice94

Set right after the battle on Crait. Rey and Ben Solo / Kylo Ren, the conflicted souls, are eager for the oth... More

Chapter 1.
Chapter 2.
Chapter 3.
Chapter 4.
Chapter 5.
Chapter 6.
Chapter 7.
Chapter 9.
Chapter 10.
Chapter 11.
Chapter 12.
Chapter 13.
Chapter 14.
Chapter 15.
Chapter 16.
Chapter 17.
Chapter 18.
Chapter 19.
Chapter 20.
Chapter 21.
Chapter 22.
Chapter 23.
Chapter 24.
Chapter 25.
Chapter 26.
Chapter 27.
Chapter 28.
Chapter 29.
Chapter 30.
Chapter 31.
Chapter 32.
Chapter 33.
Chapter 34.
Chapter 35.
Chapter 36.
Chapter 37.
Chapter 38.
Chapter 39.
Chapter 40.
Chapter 41.
Chapter 42.
Chapter 43.
Chapter 44.
Chapter 45.
Chapter 46.
Chapter 47.
Chapter 48.
Chapter 49.
Chapter 50.
Chapter 51.
Chapter 52.
Chapter 53.
Chapter 54.
Chapter 55.
Chapter 56.
Chapter 57.
Chapter 58.
Chapter 59.
Chapter 60.
Chapter 61.
Chapter 62.
Chapter 63.
Chapter 64.
Chapter 65.
Chapter 66.
Chapter 67.

Chapter 8.

10.7K 226 168
By MadAsAlice94

(Edited 04/09/2021)

It had been a whirlwind of a day, Rey mused. With all that had happened between the bond, her vision, and even the conversation with Maz, Rey was quite content with the state of mind she was currently in since it allowed her to forget about it all.

With a laugh and a twirl, Rey cupped a hand to her hot cheek. She was well on her third drink now, already feeling the results, and quite giddy with it, questioning why she had never tried this before.

And now, much to her disbelief, she was dancing.

Willingly dancing at that, with Poe Dameron, the charming bastard. The thought made her laugh again.

She was in love with this feeling, she felt free for once, being able to let go of her troubles. On the stage next to the main table, a newly revised Cantina Band played something very up-beat, the music vibrating the ground that her feet moved upon. Poe was leading her with one hand, his grin at an all-time wide, which made Rey's grin grow as well.

"I've never even danced before, this is amazing! I love it!" she exclaimed, and he nodded, only partly hearing her over the music. They were lost in the crowd on the dancefloor now with everyone feeling good dancing alongside their loved ones with drink in hand.

How could she ever let anything in the galaxy bother her when she could just dance it away? Rey thought to herself, closing her eyes and letting her guard down as her body moved in every way that the tune allowed her.

Never in her life, could she picture herself here in this exact spot, intoxicated, attending the wedding of her dearest friends, dancing with a man while she wore a dress that clung to every curve!

She silently wished she could feel this forever, to feel this carefree energy that raced through her.

Everyone should feel this, she thought. At least once in their lifetime!

Briefly, Rey wondered if Kylo Ren had ever experienced such a thing.

The mere mention of his name in her mind made her roll her eyes and scoff before she gave a hearty laugh. It was difficult to imagine the large man doing anything that didn't involve brooding and destruction.

Still though, it made her giggle.

Poe gave no mind to it, his grin widening if it was at all possible. Rey was having a wonderful time, and that was all that had mattered to him.

Rey let his hand go and twirled to the beat once more, closing her eyes as her arms lifted into the air, taking the moment for everything it was worth.

She yelled at her own mind, 'Kylo Ren!' she laughed. 'Kylo Ren, the Supreme Leader, ha!' She laughed some more, his features slowly forming into her thoughts; Dark, wavy hair...Moles spready about like stars... his long scar from brow to shoulder...The eyes that always seemed to see more than what she spoke...

In another lifetime-

Her eyes opened before she could finish the thought.

In another lifetime...What? She asked herself, mindlessly dancing now. Poe pulled her in close, and she was half grateful for it, since it hid the flush along her cheeks, growing red with the thought of Kylo.

Rey hadn't even noticed when the tune changed into something slow and sultry, but the rhythm was seductive to the ear, and again, she let Poe take the lead. He pressed her close enough that her body pressed against his, making her feel somewhat awkward, but her senses heightened slightly at the contact.

He was muscular in a different way than she'd seen any other male. And now that Rey thought of it, she realized the only other man she had ever truly seen, was Kylo's.

She was positive now, the third drink was settling in.

Rey's eyes drifted close once again as she thought of that day, when the force connected them while she stayed on Ahch-To. He had been shirtless at the time, his body gleaming with sweat. It had truly dawned on her at that time, that he was wide, and tall... More so than he seemed when he was clothed beneath thick, black cloth.

That had been the only time she really marveled at a man's body, and the thought made her dizzy.

'Stars...' she thought. 'Is it him, or is this spinning making that buzz-'

Mid thought, her eyes flew open. It was the connection, the force bond.

She tried to steady herself but being inebriated made it very hard right now. Rey was still being held up by Poe, who's hip jutted into hers to push her leg out, in tune with the exotic music that played.

Rey's head whipped around, looking for Kylo, trying to sense his presence. 'Why did I drink so much!' she mentally screamed at herself.

The force was absolutely pulsing, and Rey could not determine if the beverages she drank had anything to do with it.

Either way, Rey tensed, still searching for the ghost in a crowded room.

She didn't trust herself to stand on her own right now so she allowed Poe to lead her, and as he turned her, his head bent so that his cheek was touching hers, and right then, she found him.

Near the bar stood Kylo Ren, watching Rey cling to the damn traitor he had interrogated months ago, dancing with him, touching him, letting him touch her...

Heat rushed through him, alerting all corners of the dark side that resided within him. He had always been in tune with how the dark side made him feel inside and out, but this... This was something else entirely.

Kylo couldn't tell why he reacted in such a way. Rey did not belong to him, in fact, she did not belong to anyone, he thought.

But, nonetheless, didn't the force have something in store for their future? Or at least, hers? Was the pilot truly what she desired?

He snarled at the thought, cursing the force for connecting them again, especially so soon. But this time, it was different.

Even through his irritation, Kylo could see that. The bond seemed to have been calling for him, allowing him the option to accept or deny it.

It was as if...

As if her own thoughts sought him out, searching for him... tempting him...

His jaw tensed.

If he had known what was waiting for him, he wouldn't have bothered.

Now, Kylo stood there, glaring at Rey, who could only stare back at him in shock as she let the pilot lead her in a dance.

As Poe whipped her around again, she could feel Ben's eyes on her back, tracing the outline of her dress, making her cheeks warm and her nerves tingle. She didn't have to see his face, or follow his gaze, to see that he was studying every inch of her, just as he had in their earlier connection.

Still glaring at the scavenger, he spoke to her mind, his tone dry and annoyed.

"Busy?" he asked, accusingly.

Rey may have expected anything else but the envy in his voice within her mind. It surprised her, but did not lower her defensiveness.

"What do you care? Here to play another one of your ridiculous games?" Rey rolled her eyes, this time taking control of her steps and twirled in Poe's arms, switching their positions again so that she could look directly at Kylo.

Thankfully, Poe did nothing to stop her and continued to dance.

He scoffed, "I'm not playing any game, Scavenger. I had to retrieve something, and I had to do what was necessary to get it. You really shouldn't let your guard down so easily, Jedi." He said, his head tilting back and his jaw flexing as he noticed Poe's fingers trail down her arm.

The force pulsed again, and Rey realized the energy she had felt a moment ago was from Kylo and his rage, reacting in the same way he did; Like a child throwing a fit.

Narrowing her eyes at him, Rey took note of his reaction and glanced to Poe's neck and back to Kylo.

She chuckled, "Jealousy does not look so great on you, Supreme Leader." She said mockingly to his mind.

Rey was more bold than usual, he thought... Instantly, as he watched them sway with their dancing, Kylo realized she had been drinking.

He scoffed again, raising a single, black-haired brow. "You are so naïve. You should not be taking in alcohol if you are wanting to become a true Jedi. Have you even been training?"

"Don't deflect, that's beneath you. You're jealous." Rey declared, calling him out with such ease that he nearly froze in place. He was usually on the opposite side of these things...

Without hesitation, she spoke more freely to his mind before he had the chance to respond.

"Why do you care anyway? I don't care about you...Do you hate Poe that much? I heard you had history with him, when you were both younger... Or is it that you hate me? Scared that I am becoming something that you can't defeat? Didn't seem that way when you tried to kiss me earlier... Even if it was for your own cursed agenda. What did you take anyway? And you know, as for my training, I am trying. I must be doing something right if your mother entrusted me with training ne-" Rey rambled, but quickly stopped herself when she realized that she was about to leak information about the Resistance to him.

Silencing herself, she chose to glare at him as the sound of the music turned higher.

Rey wasn't sure why she was talking so much, if even to his mind. But she knew for certain that she was getting a reaction out of him, even as he stood there in silence, letting her go on and on in his mind.

As Poe and her continued their dance, she waited for Kylo to say something, anything, at this point...

However, he still said and denied nothing, simply studied her now with a bored, annoyed look.

The last thing she expected though, was for Kylo to slowly walk towards her with such grace and purpose that she began to feel small, nearly intimidated...

She loathed herself for it.

Kylo did not blink once as he stalked towards them. Rey felt as though she had seen something like it, back on Jakku when animals hunted their prey.

The realization made her swallow, but still, even wrapped in Poe's embrace as they danced to the next song, her glare never wavered.

Poe remained absolutely clueless to what was happening in the force bond between Rey and Kylo, and if he had, he would have been just as horrified as Rey was as Kylo approached, standing only a foot behind Poe.

Rey let out a shaky breath. As long as Kylo and her did not touch, then no one would be able to see him. Still, her heart raced.

Feeling confident and still very much under the influence of Corellian wine, Poe's palm lay flat on Rey's back, traveling slowly down to rest softly at her hip.

Of course, of bloody course, it did not escape Kylo's notice, and Rey watched as Kylo's head fell to the side, his eyes following the movement from above Poe's shoulder.

Smirking, even through his anger, Kylo began his reply to Rey's mind, his hard gaze meeting Rey's now widened eyes.

"You know, your mind sought me out through the force bond. I'm sure it had to do with your inebriation... Either way, I would be careful if I were you. I have something of yours, and you will not get it back until I say so, until I decide you are in the right state of mind." He lowered his head so that their eyes met head on. "You will come to me when you are not overshadowed by immaturity and anger."

Rey was taken aback, unsure of what she could say to that.

Her lack of response did not stop him from continuing, though.

"And another thing," Kylo began. She was growing thirsty now, flush still from the reprimanding from the man that irritated her like no other.

Rey licked at her lips, trying to stop the dizzy feeling from returning. Kylo's gaze fell to her mouth, watching the motion of her pink tongue peak out to wet her lips before their eyes met again.

Something though, Rey noticed, made his eyes darken, and the force seemed to entrap her in a hot wave of whatever he had experienced in that moment.

She silently gasped as a small tremor worked its way up her spine, and Kylo's jaw clenched, the unclenched.

He recalled her words earlier, and replied, voice deeper and more quiet than usual, "You do care. You would not have been thinking about me while dancing with your little pilot if you didn't."

Rey's nostrils flared at the thought. She'd be lying if she denied it, and she couldn't help but wonder if her defenses were truly so far gone that he was able to pick up on that, or if he rummaged around in her mind for that fact while she was distracted.

Either way, their war of words came to an end when suddenly, Poe whipped them around and dipped Rey as the song ended, and when she was pulled back up, Kylo Ren was gone, the force bond broken yet again.

'Stupid, arrogant monster.' Rey cursed Kylo, hoping her loud thoughts chased him through the force. She suddenly felt the room grow smaller, the volume of the music booming louder than before.

Excusing herself from the dance floor, Rey went to fetch herself a drink of water, hoping to calm her annoyance and regain some of her sobriety. Poe offered to accompany her, but she refused with a quick, fake smile.

Nodding, he stayed behind and moved to steal Rose from Finn for the next dance.

All the water in the galaxy couldn't help tame the fire on Rey's cheeks though. She bit her lip, hard enough to punish herself for not recognizing the force had connected them as she danced away with Poe.

She wondered briefly, how long their minds were joined before she had realized it? How many of her thoughts and feelings had he witnessed without her knowledge in that moment?

Rey closed her eyes, sighing from the disappointment and self-loathing. She remembered his words to her, how he had called her naïve and insinuated that she had the power to connect their bonds, and cursing again, she hated herself for nearly giving him the fact that she was to train new members...

Rey also recalled the brief moment his eyes had darkened as he looked at her, and that particularly warm sensation that flowed between them.

Her temples throbbed now, and she took another sip of water, her mind still replaying their connection over and over again in her mind.

He had said he had something for her, hadn't he? And that she would go to him when she was ready... What did that mean, she wondered?

Distracted by her own thoughts, Rey did not notice Leia join her at the bar.

"Dancing looks well on you. And so does the outfit." The general said, smiling at her. Rey turned to her, and quickly glanced away from embarrassment with an awkward chuckle.

Now that she was sobering up, Rey had to come to terms that she allowed herself to open up, much more than she usually liked to. Again, she cursed herself.

"Thank you, Leia. You picked out quite a dress. I wouldn't have ever done so myself without your push." Rey said once she was able to direct her attention back to Leia. She turned to face her fully now, and noticed her gaze was at Rey's empty neck.

"Hmm. It didn't work, did it? Luke was fearful that all the power was gone since it had been so long. Guess he was right." Leia said, shrugging it off. Rey's brow furrowed, looking at Leia curiously.

Unconsciously, Rey's hand went to her bare neck.

"What do you mean? The necklace?" Rey asked, having nearly forgotten it entirely since she misplaced it in her room earlier that day.

Leia nodded with a sorrowful half smile.

"Well, yes. It was mine and Luke's actually. The last part of crystal we shared from our father. Back on Crait, we decided you should be the one to keep it. Once I found out that your lightsaber was broken, it made sense. As if it was destiny."

Rey glanced around, trying to wrap her head around what she was being told, trying to make sense of it all.

"General, what are you saying exactly? What crystal?" Rey questioned as her heartbeat skipped around.

"The necklace? If it held any life-force on it still, it would have called to you, hummed in your presence. Or so Luke said. But it's been such a long time since we obtained it, we feared it would no longer work." Leia explained. "It was the only piece of kyber crystal we had left."

And just like that, Rey's face dropped, her stomach turning into knots.

Finally, she had an answer, and of course, it all led back to Kylo.

The damned monster stole the necklace so that she would not be able to repair her weapon, her lightsaber, the one thing that would assist in ending the war he brought upon them.

"You're sure of this? That it's kyber crystal, I mean." Rey searched the General's face, who now looked at her with confusion.

"Positive. After Luke recovered the crystal, we thought disguising it as a jewel would be the best bet. I suppose it wasn't meant to be though."

Inhaling deeply, Rey turned back to her glass of water and let the conversation die down until Leia took her leave to tend to the guests, leaving Rey alone.

There would be no way that Kylo would willingly give her the crystal back, Rey knew that for sure, at least without a bargain of some sort.

But now, it made sense why he took the opportunity to get so close to her in her chambers. If the tables were turned, would she do anything to stop her enemy from gaining more power?

Biting the inside of her cheek, Rey knew the answer already. She would without a doubt do anything to stop him, and he took that chance to do it to her first.

All she could do was blame herself, however, that blame soon turned into a deep-set determination to finally take down the man that is Kylo Ren, and she knew, it would all start from here.

( x ) End of Chapter ( x )

Edited 04/09/2021

Author's Notes:

Annnddd another one! Edited details, changed up the interaction with Kylo and Rey. Added about 1.7k words. Hope you all like it!

Thank you for the feedback so far <3 I appreciate you all so much. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

222 0 9
Story takes place 6 weeks after the events of The Force Awakens. Rey is cultivating her force potential under the seasoned eye of Jedi Luke. Ren has...
66.9K 1.3K 16
Rey and Y/N, along with the Resistance, are in their last stand against Kylo Ren and the First Order Male Reader x Rey
65.5K 1.5K 30
After TROS Reylo+Stormpilot What if the Force Dyad between Rey and Ben was enough to save them both? The war had always been about Rey and Kylo Ren...
14.3K 367 48
In this story, it takes place after Episode VII. Rey is currently trying to learn the ways of the Force. Many questions are constantly on her mind...