When Stars are Hidden

By farslimah

COMPLETED ✔️✔️ Excerpt. *** "I won't bite. . .yet. . .I promise" He said with a teasing smirk. Walking in t... More

COPYRIGHT
PROLOGUE
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
A/N
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
A/N
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
A/N
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
The Ring
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40 (Part A)
Chapter 40 (Part B)
Extra
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55(The Beginning of The End)
THIS MUST STOP✊🏿

Chapter 31

3.9K 303 2
By farslimah

"T-they killed d-dad. . ."
Dean said whiles trying to stop the tears.

His dad?
John?

Naima knew John, Dean's dad. He was like the kindest soul on Earth.
The man was so down to Earth.
The last time she had seen him though was at their Graduation ceremony in high school.
He even gave she and Belinda two bouquets of flowers each.
And just because, Dean had mentioned their names at home more than once.

How could someone look into those warm eyes and kill him?
Naima's eyes welled up. The tears would come any moment from now.

Tawfiq couldn't speak. He couldn't even reprimand Dean for calling him sir. He had told him multiple times that he didn't like him to be formal with him.
But anytime Dean was scared that something like this would happen, he would automatically start calling him Sir.

They killed John!?
Tawfiq was lost in his thoughts. They were going to pay. Oh, he was going to kill them.

What more did they want?
They made a damn deal to prevent things like that from happening. So much was put into that deal and they just broke it?

Harriet had to give her fricking daughter to them.
Even though they treated her like a queen there, it wasn't easy for a mother to give away her daughter just like that.
They already had Layla-Harriet's daughter-why did they have to go and kill John? He had nothing to do with this. He wasn't even involved with anything.
Or did they want someone else? Was it Dean they wanted? They knew Dean was out of bounds. They knew the whole fucking family was out of bounds to them.
They were not supposed to even touch a strand of her on them. So why this?

Was it even them to begin with?

Tawfiq heard a sniff behind him and he realized Naima was still there.
Shit!
How could he forget she was here?

Dean was standing without Tawfiq's help now but leaning on the wall.
The tears had stopped but he wasn't speaking anymore. Just staring at the ground.
He wasn't ready to talk.
He couldn't.
Not after what he had watched.

Tawfiq turned towards Naima.
She didn't have to be there for this.
His head begun to pound lightly.

"Naima, thank you for the soup. Um. . .Can you please go home now? I wish I could take you but I need to take care of something and I don't want you to get involved in our family mess." Tawfiq chuckled flatly.

Naima didn't miss how Tawfiq referred to Dean's family as his.

" I promise to explain everything to you. Just not now. Okay? please?" Tawfiq pleaded, hoping that calling her Naima would make her understand how serious he was

"Why!?" Naima unintentionally screamed.

"Sorry. But Dean just literally said John is dead. No, killed! You can't expect me to just walk out of here like nothing happened! Like I didn't just hear what I did!"
Naima was raising her voice but who wouldn't?

Tears were still slowly rolling down her face but she was tired of being seen as weak.
Even too weak to handle the truth.

They can't expect her to just leave like she heard nothing.

"I don't expect you to act like you didn't hear anything, Naima. Dean's practically in shock and I don't know what to do. That's why I wanted you to go back to campus. I don't want you to deal with this." Tawfiq said, rather calmly. He did not want to taint her with what he knew.

She was too innocent.

Why did he have to talk so calmly like she was the rash child here?
She still wasn't leaving till someone explained what was happening. It wouldn't be Dean, he was looking at nothing. Naima understood his pain. It wasn't easy losing a parent. Especially one as amazing as John.
If Dean couldn't explain Tawfiq would have to explain then.

"Just give me an explanation. I'm not trying to be nosey but you can't expect me to do what you are asking. I can't. . .won't just leave without understanding what's going on."
Naima crossed her arms over her chest and stood her ground.

Tawfiq knew he couldn't change Naima's mind. He had always wanted Naima to become a firm. To stand her ground and not always be running and hiding.
Looks like his prayers were answered. Just not at the right time.

He exhaled and went to sit on the bed. Gesturing for Naima to follow him.

Dean was now sitting on the floor with his back to the wall. Tawfiq knew better than to go and talk to him right now. He would just throw a tantrum.
Dean was someone who dealt with pain weirdly. Tawfiq wouldn't be shocked if he was making jokes the next day just to forget about what happened.

"Fine. I know you aren't one to tell others about everything so please don't tell anyone this too. It's not something people should be aware of. Please don't try to find out about anything I say on your own. Ask me, don't ask anyone else, only me. It's for your safety, Naima. Are we okay on that?" Tawfiq wanted to make it clear.

Trying to find out more about what he knew about Dean's external family could probably kill you. That's why he wanted her to understand the severity of not digging for more information.
He didn't even know why he had given in to Naima's demands. He was sure he would paint his body blue if she asked. Ya Allah. . .How far he had gone.

Naima just nodded and said,
"Clear."

Here goes nothing.

Tawfiq took a deep breath. It was a long story.

"Let me start right from the beginning. Harriet is the only daughter of the biggest mafia family in literally the whole world. Her dad, Alfonsi Ferrari, runs and controls every other mafia family in Italy where they are currently based.
As cliche as it may sound, she didn't exactly like being there. She always wanted out. She didn't see herself being involved in the family business. When she was old enough, she had plan to fake her death and disappear. That's when she met John, who was on a trip to Italy and they fell in love." Tawfiq peered at Dean.
He was still sitting there motionlessly.

Tawfiq continued.
"Her dad didn't approve of John. He was American and wasn't a part of any mafia group. But Alfonso loved his daughter and couldn't tell her no. The other mafia elders didn't approve when Harriet wooed her father into letting her marry John.
So Alfonso made her run away with John back here, to America.
But John refused to accept any money from his father-in-law for them to live comfortably. So they relied on the money John made as an Accountant. They were happy for a while until Harriet got pregnant with Dean. That's when the problems began. The mafia wanted Dean." He exhaled.

"They wanted him. He would take over after Alfonsi died. Harriet's father with all his power couldn't risk siding with his daughter anymore. And they were right. He needed an heir. Because if he died without one, it would be a war for power.
But Harriet couldn't just give Dean to them. She couldn't just give her one child to the life she had fought so hard to be free off. She pleaded with Alfonso who gave in subsequently."

Clearly he loved his daughter.
Naima could tell.

"Alfonso was able to convince the other mafia families and elders that they could have Harriet's next born as a heir. Some didn't like the idea but still went with it. Whether they liked it or not, Alfonso was boss. Harriet was ecstatic that she could keep her son. She and John decided to avoid giving birth again. Harriet even went on IUD. But somehow they made a mistake. To err is human they say. And I don't think I should refer to it as a mistake. But that's how Harriet had said to me. Dean was 10 years old by that time when Harriet became pregnant."

"She could not bear to lose her child to the mafia so she hid the pregnancy from the family but nothing can be hidden forever. They had always been watching them. The day she gave birth to her daughter, her father came to the hospital. She cried her eyes out and begged Alfonso to let her keep her daughter. But her father could not do anything for her anymore. They had made a deal and this was the price. It was a girl. They named her Layla after Harriet's paternal grandmother." Tawfiq combed through his hair.

It was a really long story when Harriet had told him first. He was currently just telling Naima the important bits.

"That is when another problem began. Harriet became sick. They found a tumor in her kidney.  It sucked. I know. John lost his job when the bank went bankrupt. They didn't have money to remove the tumor before it got big. Or became cancerous. Harriet did not want to ask for money from her father. She hated her family for taking away her daughter and to her, she would rather die than take their filthy money, she called it. She grew distant from Dean and John. Her way of coping with the fact that she wouldn't be with them any longer. And she didn't want them to see her in pain.
The tumor wasn't in a fatal place but the doctors warned that without the surgery it would grow bigger and kill her or cause cancer that would eventually kill her.
That went on for 3 whole years. Dean wasn't a fool. He knew his mother was suffering. He wanted to help get money for her and he was too young to work so he joined a small gang of boys who pickpocketed people around town.
That was the time I came here. I was  17 then, I think . I actually had no idea where I was going at that time. I knew I was coming to Wyoming but I didn't have anywhere to actually go to. I had money so I was originally going to buy or rent an apartment. It was easier said than done. Luckily, my English was already good so I could go around and ask directions to a hotel before looking for a single apartment. Since I found out it would require a few paperworks to actually secure a place. I didn't have the time for that.
I had only a school bag with a few clothes so I wasn't loaded with a lot stuff. I was walking to the hotel I was directed to, when I saw a gang of boys coming out from an alley. I didn't exactly care what they were doing, I had my own problems. They weren't even that old. And I could handle 20 year olds at that time. . .not to brag. I don't know if they realized I was new there or they thought they could scare me. They came out the alley and walked right in front of me.
Dean-who was the biggest one amongst them-was holding a pocket knife. Their only weapon.
No one was around at that time since it was a little late. I tried to be reasonable and told him to back off with his friends. But even with his shaky hands, he didn't. He had a burning fire in him. He was pretty determined." Tawfiq smiled tightly at the memory.

It seemed like ages ago now.

"They wanted my wallet. There wasn't anything in except my credit card and a few hundred bills.  And I knew they wouldn't be able to use my card too. I naturally told them to go home and go and do their homework. They were kids. What else did they have doing than homework?Well, Dean got a little angry with my remark and came at me with his knife, which I wasn't expecting. He gave me this scar when I tried to move away from him." Tawfiq paused to show Naima the scar which she had noticed back in high school, still visible on his forearm. Naima instinctively moved to touch it but quickly held her hands. Tawfiq just chuckled at her.

"He did that? I wouldn't have guessed. I had thought it was from an accident when you were younger. He did a good job with the scar." Naima chuckled.

She had been listening attentively so far and Dean really had a difficult life. He always acted so free like nothing was bothering him.

"He had a raging fire in him. But I wasn't going to let him go so easily. He literally cut me, and it was deep. Blood was pouring out from the cut. When he realized what he had done his eyes went wide but he still stood firm and asked for my wallet again. By the time I realized, the other kids had run away. They didn't think they had to go that far. Dean however did not move an inch. He came at me again but this time I wasn't so forgiving. I knocked the knife from his hands and twisted his hands. He screamed for me to let him go and I asked why he was wasting his time doing this. After a bit more pleading from his side, I let him go and I ended up walking him home as he told me-a random stranger-about himself. Now, we are so close, I think he even knows my account number more than I do. He isn't someone who would misuse money so I trust him. I. . .Umm. . .I. . ." Tawfiq didn't know what to say.
He didn't want Naima to know that yet. Not now. It could change everything. Naima just looked at him so he continued.

"I told his parents what happened and why Dean did it. John was a kind man from the day I met him. He realized I was new in Valley View. 'Everyone knows everyone here', he said. He offered me a place to stay till I found an apartment. He said the hotels were a waste of money. I. . .I helped John to get money for the surgery. He was reluctant at first but I told him it was my rent for staying at their house and eating free food. After the surgery, Harriet became her bubbly self.  John got another job. And even at my age, I went to High school with Dean. Harriet and J..John. . .and Dean have been like family to me ever since. Even though I moved out of their house a few weeks later into a hotel after Harriet's surgery then later into my current house. Which you clearly haven't seen before. I live alone but it's okay I guess. And Dean is mostly at my place too. I pulled some strings and helped Harriet get in contact with Layla once in a while. Layla is still in Italy but she knows about how much her mother loves her. I have gone to Italy with them a few times to meet Layla. She is now. . .8 years old and just like John with a kind heart but she also has her mom's bubbly character. That's how I met Dean. That's why I know I can't talk to him right now because I know how he deals with pain. But I swear I'm going to let whoever did this to John pay. They will. Every single person involved." Tawfiq promised.

He wasn't going to cry yet. He was going to make them pay before. They would spend the rest of their fricking lives in jail. If he didn't kill them first. Astagfirullah.

"You aren't going to do anything that will get you into trouble, right?" Naima asked in concern.
Tawfiq had a temper.
She did not want him to do anything he would regret later.

"I fear Allah, Habiba. I know I may seem scary when I'm angry but I wouldn't do anything illegal or Haram. Maybe pull some strings, but I will never put the law in my hands." Tawfiq said. If he ended killing them, it would be purely out of self defense.
But he wanted to put Naima's fears away.

"Good. I have a question?"
Naima mumbled and fidgeted with her hands.

Tawfiq nodded for her to ask.

"Why Wyoming? Why Valley View? You look like someone who would like to live in LA or New York." Naima asked truthfully.

She was curious about why he had come to Wyoming.
She'd be a fool to not know Tawfiq was rich.
Which meant, he could afford living in one of the bigger states.

"I just wanted a quiet community away from everything. Valley View was good enough for me." Tawfiq answered sincerely.

It was true just not the whole truth.

Naima was about to say something when she heard Dean pulling himself up to stand up.
She turned.

"They have to pay for what they have done. They shot him. A fucking firing squad shot at him in the video. I'll kill them all. All of them."Dean said, anger lacing his voice.

"Which video?" Tawfiq asked, getting up from the bed.

"They sent me a video. Some fucking man was threatening me that if I don't follow his rules. . .Mom would be next."

⚜️⚜️⚜️
So, I changed the book title to *Hidden* I hope you like it and the cover too. I just felt Hidden tells more of the story than The Mascot
[New: Currently this book goes by When Stars are Hidden.]
#VCS
SHAAARRRREEEE❤️
Salam 🙂
Ciao😁

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

103K 5.7K 32
AND WE CREATED YOU IN PAIRS (78:8) UNDER EDITING Note: IF YOU SEE ANY MISTAKE/ERROR PLEASE NOTIFY ME IN THE COMMENTS Thanks😘 _______________________...
2.5K 257 31
"Noor Ayn," Hassan began, his gaze intense as he looked at me with a soft expression, "Have you ever wondered why I called you that? It's not a mere...
39.4K 2.3K 32
Jahanara's world is filled with monstrous silhouettes, looming in the dark around her, ready to harm her. The coldness of her eyes could slit people'...
4K 118 15
#556 in Spiritual ||20.12.17|| (BOOK 1 IN TEENAGE DEEN SERIES) I walked in to my house to see my parents are sitting in the living room, heads down...