I'm Fine

By JLB_18

{IN NEED OF HEAVY EDITING} Asha grew up with a verbally abusive mother that constantly put her older sister a... More

Part 1: Chapter 1
Part 1: Chapter 2
Part 1: Chapter 3
Part 1: Chapter 4
Part 1: Chapter 5
Part 1: Chapter 6
Part 1: Chapter 7
Part 1: Chapter 8
Part 1: Chapter 9
Part 1: Chapter 10
Part 1: Chapter 11
Part 1: Chapter 12
Part 1: Chapter 13
Part 1: Chapter 14
Part 1: Chapter 15
Part 1: Chapter 16
Part 1: Chapter 17
Part 1: Chapter 18
Part 1: Chapter 19
Part 1: Chapter 20
Part 1: Chapter 21
Part 1: Chapter 22
Part 1: Chapter 23
Part 1: Chapter 24
Part 2: Chapter 25
Part 2: Chapter 26
Part 2: Chapter 27
Part 2: Chapter 28
Part 2: Chapter 29
Part 2: Chapter 30
Part 2: Chapter 31
Part 2: Chapter 32
Part 2: Chapter 33
Part 2: Chapter 34
Part 2: Chapter 35
Part 2: Chapter 36
Part 2: Chapter 37
Part 2: Chapter 38
Part 2: Chapter 39
Part 2: Chapter 40
Part 2: Chapter 41
Part 2: Chapter 42
Part 2: Chapter 43
Part 2: Chapter 44
Part 2: Chapter 45
Part 2: Chapter 46
Part 2: Chapter 47
Part 2: Chapter 49
Part 3: Chapter 50
Part 3: Chapter 51
Part 3: Chapter 52
Part 3: Chapter 53
Part 3: Chapter 54
Part 3: Chapter 55
Part 3: Chapter 56
Part 3: Chapter 57
Part 3: Chapter 58
Part 3: Chapter 59
Part 3: Chapter 60
Part 3: Chapter 61
Part 3: Chapter 62
Part 3: Chapter 63
Part 3: Chapter 64
New Book!!
Rage

Part 2: Chapter 48

3.4K 201 7
By JLB_18

"Stop calling me. I want nothing to do with you," I slammed the door as I got into the car.

"I just want to talk."

"About what!?" The nerve of this fucking woman. There is absolutely nothing we need to talk about.

"Can we meet up?" She asked.

"No. Just leave me the fuck alone," I said.

"Asha!" I hung up. I then blocked yet again another number. Fuck. Why won't she just leave me alone. She said all she had to say the last time we spoke.

I was about to make a quick call when my boss's name flashed on the screen. I quickly took a deep breath and answered it.

"I'm coming. I had to—"

"I think you just sold another house," he spoke up in excitement.

"I did?"

"Why you sound so disappointed?" He asked.

"Oh...nothing. I'm just feeling a bit off today. But, that's exciting news. I really wasn't expecting offers so soon, and on the first day."

"I'm not surprised. I hired you to represent my company for a reason, and you're doing a damn good job at it."

"Thank you sir," I smiled lightly. His compliment made me feel a little better.

"I'm on my way inside," I said getting out of the car.

"Ok. See you soon." I hung up and closed the door. I then walked up the street to where I was hosting the open house. I put on my signature fake smile and straightened my pantsuit before walking back through the front door.

I'm honestly just ready to go home.
.....

I closed the deal on the house earlier than expected, so I spent the next few days visiting Earl in the hospital. Every time I go, it's always hard seeing him so pale and sickly. We spend most of our time talking. Sometimes we play uno, and sometimes he's too weak to even lift a finger. Maggie has caught me crying a few times, in which I always start apologizing. She says she understands, but I just don't want her to see me break down like that. I definitely don't want her to think that I pity her, or that I pity their situation. It's just really fucked up, and I hate that Earl is in the hospital and not out here doing the things that he loves to do, like running the diner.

I looked over at Earl as I sat on the cushioned chair. A nurse was checking his vitals. He had fallen asleep a while ago, so Maggie made a run to her hotel. She was back within fifteen minutes. We sat and talked until visiting hours were over. Then she walked me out.

"Asha, you don't have to come tomorrow. You've been coming for three days straight. I know it's a lot," she said.

"No, I want to come. I'm not busy at work, so this is the perfect time for me to visit."

"But, you have a child...and you're young. Earl and I are older, and if you're unlucky, old age often comes with illnesses. Sometimes it's inevitable. I don't want you in this depressing environment everyday when you don't have to be. You've done enough."

"I've done nothing Maggie. I've not done nearly as much as Earl has done for me."

"You don't owe him anything." We interlocked arms as we walked through the hospital. We got into the elevator and Maggie pushed the first floor.

"That's not true. I honestly owe him everything." At my words, she then turned to me and frowned.

"You know about—"

"Yes. I know about the medical bills that y'all paid off for me some years ago. It was when I passed out at Earl's diner, and he rushed me to the hospital. That was also when they told me that I was pregnant. I stayed in the hospital for almost a week because I was malnourished. And before I was discharged, I suddenly got a donation that covered all of my expenses."

"Asha—"

"At first, I thought nothing of it until I started piecing things together. I knew the donation was from y'all because it all happened way too fast." The elevator doors opened once we reached the first floor. We then walked out front where my car was parked.

"You weren't supposed to know," she said.

"Why not?" I asked.

"Because of this right here. We didn't want you to feel like you owed us."

"But I do." Maggie stopped walking and pulled me off to the side.

"You don't. I'm serious Asha. We did that because we wanted to, and we did it knowing that we wouldn't get that money back. It was an entirely altruistic act, and we both would do it all over again in a heartbeat."

I lightly tugged my hands from her grip and wrapped my arms around myself. "That doesn't make me feel any better. If anything, it makes me feel worse. I already know that I can't pay you back, and it eats me up. But, it's like I feel this immense urge to do everything I can to at least be there for you and Earl."

Maggie shook her head, staring at me for the longest time. Little by little, her brown eyes softened and the corners of her lips tilted up in a small comforting smile. When she hugged me, I wrapped my arms around her as well. "You are such a beautiful young woman. I am so proud of you."

We stayed like that for minutes. Maggie needed the hug just as much as I did. When we pulled apart, she walked me to my car.
.....

For nearly two months, I was back and forth visiting Earl at the hospital. On a good week where he was feeling better, Maggie and I discussed letting Imani spend a few hours with him since he asks for her all the time. Imani is really young, so she doesn't really have any memories of Earl, but Earl has been there since even before she was born. I want her to at least form one memory of him, even if it's one where he is in the hospital. I'm just grateful that Earl is well enough to even see her after so many weeks.

I thought today would be the day to surprise him, so Imani is coming with me. Hopefully, all goes well because I picked her up from school early and everything. When I pulled up at the hospital, I called Maggie, but she didn't answer. I knew better than to text her since she never responds to those anyway. I put my phone in my pocket and got out. I got Imani out the car and we made our way inside.

"You remember what I told you? Earl is in the hospital because he is sick. And I know you don't remember him, but he was there when you were born, and even after that. But since he is sick now, his only wish is to spend some time with you."

"Mommy, why does he want to spend time with me?" It was an honest question.

"Because you mean a lot to him. And he needs some joy in his life right now. If anyone can make him smile, it's you," I told her.

"So that means I can show Mr. Earl my drawings? And maybe we can draw together. He can use my colored pencils too. I don't mind."

"Yes, he would love that," I smiled down at her.

We checked in at the front desk and got our wristbands. I then took Royce to the elevator and up to Earl's floor. When we arrived, we immediately stepped into nothing but chaos. What the hell was going on? I picked Royce up to prevent her from being trampled as nurses sprinted past us. I slowly walked around the corner, and in the direction of Earl's room. When I saw those same nurses run into the room at the end of the hall, I took off.

"No no no," I started panicking. Royce held onto me as I abruptly stopped in front of Earl's open door. Alarms were blaring throughout the room, and nurses were barking orders left and right. What really caught my attention was a nurse hovering over Earl giving him chest compressions. My mouth fell open in complete shock.

"Oh god no," I broke down. Royce took one look at me and started balling her eyes out. I pulled us away from the door and slid down the wall. I couldn't even comfort her at all. I just hugged her to me as the sounds of death filled my ears. I didn't even get to say goodbye.
.....

The staff told us that we had to leave. I had not a clue where Maggie was. When I asked about her, the nurses said she was still by her husband's side, and that she wouldn't leave him. I sat in the car with my head against the steering wheel. Imani kept trying to get my attention, but I just didn't know what to say to her. So, unfortunately I ignored her.

"Mommy," she started crying again. I pulled out my phone and called Remi. I was praying that she would answer. When she didn't, I almost banged my head against the steering wheel.

"Mommy." I called Remi again, but after so many rings, I just hung up.

"Mommy." The pain in her voice made me address her.

"Yes Royce," my words came out strained.

"I want to go home," she said.

"I know baby. Just give me a minute," I told her. I then fumbled with my phone as it started ringing.

"Look Remi, I know you're at work, but I need you to come get Imani."

"But, I...I—"

"Say it's a family emergency. Please, I need you to come get her."

"Ok. Where are you?"

"I'll send you the address." I hung up and sent her my location. I sat in the car with Imani for a couple of hours until Remi arrived. Imani had fallen asleep, so I told Remi to just get her from the backseat.

"When she wakes up, she'll probably ask for me. Tell her I'll be home soon. Give her a nice bath, give her ice cream, read to her, whatever you have to do. Just do for her what I can't do at the moment."

"What happened?" She searched my face for answers. I shrugged, trying to stop the onset of tears.

"I don't know Remi. I don't fucking know. Everything was getting better. I brought Imani here so that she could make Earl happy, but instead, we walk into the room to see a nurse performing CPR on his lifeless body. I think he's dead Rem." I was still in shock. Even saying such words sent shivers down my spine.

"I'm so sorry Asha."

"She didn't need to see that," I was referring to Royce.

"Shit, I didn't need to see that. I'm not good at handling stuff like this. And I can't leave until I know that Maggie is okay. I might have to take her home, or to her hotel. I don't know...I-I don't know how this all works."

"I don't think either of you should be alone."

"Don't worry about us. I just need you to make sure that Imani is good. If I don't see y'all in the morning, just take her to school. That's it. That's all I need."

"Asha—"

"I'll call you later Remi."

Once they were settled into the car, I went back into the hospital and pleaded with the front desk to let me go back upstairs. They flat out told me no, so I sat in the waiting area for an hour. I called Maggie again, and she finally answered.

"Asha, he's gone. They pronounced him dead," she cried into the phone.

"Maggie, where are you? They won't let me up."

"After they had me identify his body, they just took him from me."

"Where are they taking him?" I asked.

"To the hospital's mortuary." I ran my hand through my hair in frustration.

"I'm sorry Maggie. I'm so so sorry." I repeated over and over as I listened to her soft cries. 

As it got late, we had to leave. I followed closely behind Maggie to her hotel and stayed with her all night. She said it was going to take a few days for his death to be documented and for the doctors to write up the medical certificate. I told Maggie I would help her with the funeral arrangements and anything else she needed.
.....

A bunch of shit is about to go down 😬

💜💜

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

135K 5.8K 49
"What's Rae short for?" He continued before tossing his friend the keys to his car. When he unlocked it she noticed the matte black Trackhawk was in...
13.9K 365 20
Explicit Story. Andrea gets involved with a big time drug dealer who she dropped out of school to be with. After he beats her the first time she lea...
7.2K 266 24
A world where she got every man to do exactly what she asked them to....except one. He was broken and soon he'd break her too. She wanted his atten...
59.6K 4.4K 21
WORK #3 The Love Story of Isaiah and LaToya 💚 Four year old LaToya Johnson never experienced what a mother's love felt. Her mother is an alcoholic...