𝐀𝐭 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐏𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐚𝐜𝐥𝐞...

By monotone_skies

discontinued-ɢʀᴀɴᴛᴇᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴏᴘᴘᴏʀᴛᴜɴɪᴛʏ ᴛᴏ ᴇꜱᴄᴀᴘᴇ ᴀ ᴍᴀʀʀɪᴀɢᴇ, ꜱʜᴇ ꜰʟᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ʟɪʏᴜᴇ ʜᴀʀʙᴏʀ ᴀʟᴏɴɢꜱɪᴅᴇ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴏɴꜱᴇqᴜᴇɴᴄᴇ... More

𝐀𝐭 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐏𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐚𝐜𝐥𝐞
ʟᴀᴘɪꜱ ᴅᴇɪ
ʜᴇʀᴍɪᴛ ᴏꜰ ᴍᴏʀᴛᴀʟ ʟɪꜰᴇ
ᴘᴀᴘɪʟɪᴏ ᴄʜᴀʀᴏɴᴛɪꜱ
ʀᴇᴅ ᴘʟᴜᴍ ʙʟᴏꜱꜱᴏᴍꜱ
ᴏᴘᴇʀᴀ ɢʀᴀɴᴅɪꜱ
ꜰʀɪᴇɴᴅ ᴏꜰ ᴀ ꜰʀɪᴇɴᴅ
ɴᴜʙɪꜱ ᴄᴀᴇꜱᴏʀ
ʀᴇꜰᴜʟɢᴇɴᴛ ꜱᴋɪᴇꜱ
ꜰᴀʙᴜʟᴀᴇ ᴛᴇxᴛɪʟᴇ
ᴛɪʟʟ ᴛʜᴇ ʟᴀɴᴛᴇʀɴꜱ ʙᴜʀɴ ᴏᴜᴛ
𝐀𝐜𝐭 𝐈
ʟᴜᴘᴜꜱ ᴍɪɴᴏʀ
ʜᴏᴍᴇꜱᴛᴇᴀᴅ
ᴠɪᴀᴛᴏʀ
ᴛʀᴀᴠᴇʟᴇʀ'ꜱ ɢᴜɪᴅᴇ
ʀᴏᴛᴀ ᴄᴀʟᴀᴍɪᴛᴀꜱ
ꜱᴡᴇᴇᴛ ᴅɪꜱᴘᴏꜱɪᴛɪᴏɴ
ᴄᴀʀᴍᴇɴ ᴅᴇɪ
ᴛʜᴇ ʟɪꜰᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀ ɢᴀʀᴅᴇɴ
ᴘʀɪɴᴄᴇᴘꜱ ᴄʀᴇᴛᴀᴄᴇᴜꜱ
ᴀɴɢᴇʟ'ꜱ ꜱʜᴀʀᴇ
ᴄᴏᴍʀᴀᴅᴇꜱ
ᴛʜᴏᴜꜱᴀɴᴅ ᴡɪɴᴅꜱ
ɢᴏᴅ ᴏꜰ ꜰʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
ᴛʜᴇ ꜱᴛʀᴀɴɢᴇ ɴᴇᴄᴋʟᴀᴄᴇ
ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴇɪɢʜᴛ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴇ ꜱᴛᴀʀꜱ
ᴄʜɪᴠᴀʟʀɪᴄ ʙʟᴏꜱꜱᴏᴍ
ᴡɪɴᴅʙᴏʀɴᴇ
ᴛʜᴇ ᴀʀᴄʜɪᴠᴇ
ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴏʏ ᴀɴᴅ ʜɪꜱ ᴅᴏᴠᴇ
ᴀɴ ᴇᴠᴇɴᴛꜰᴜʟ ᴀꜰᴛᴇʀɴᴏᴏɴ
ʟᴀᴡʀᴇɴᴄᴇ
ᴏꜰ ᴏᴄᴇᴀɴ ꜱᴡᴇʟʟ
ʀᴀɪɴʏ ᴅᴀʏꜱ
ɪɴᴄʀᴇᴅᴜʟɪᴛʏ
ᴘᴀᴠᴏ ᴏᴄᴇʟʟᴜꜱ
ꜱᴏᴄɪᴀʟ ᴄᴜᴇꜱ
ɴᴏᴄᴛᴜᴀ
ᴅɪꜱᴛᴀɴᴛ ᴍᴇᴍᴏʀɪᴇꜱ
ᴡɪᴛʜᴅʀᴀᴡɴ ʏᴇᴛ ᴄʟᴏꜱᴇ
ɪꜰ ʏᴏᴜ ᴡᴇʀᴇ ʜᴇʀᴇ
ʙᴀᴅ ʟᴜᴄᴋ
ᴅᴇꜱᴘɪᴛᴇ ᴡʜᴏ ʏᴏᴜ ᴀʀᴇ
ᴛʜᴇ ʟɪᴛᴛʟᴇ ᴛʜɪɴɢꜱ
ʀɪᴍᴇ ᴏʀ ʀᴇᴀꜱᴏɴ
ᴀʟᴍᴏꜱᴛ
ᴘʀɪɴᴄᴇꜱꜱ ꜰʀᴏᴍ ᴀꜰᴀʀ
ᴋɪɴᴅʟɪɴɢ ꜰʟᴀᴍᴇ
ɢʟᴀɴᴄᴇꜱ
ꜰᴀᴛᴇ ᴀꜱ ꜰᴏʀᴇᴛᴏʟᴅ
ᴀʟʟ ꜰᴏʀ ᴀ ꜰʟᴏᴡᴇʀ
ꜱᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ ᴅᴀɴᴅᴇʟɪᴏɴꜱ
ᴀʟᴛᴏɢᴇᴛʜᴇʀ
ɢᴀʟᴇꜱ ɢᴜɪᴅᴇ ᴍᴇ ≫ ɴᴏʀᴍᴀʟ
ɢᴀʟᴇꜱ ɢᴜɪᴅᴇ ᴍᴇ ≫ ᴀʟʙᴇᴅᴏ
ɢᴀʟᴇꜱ ɢᴜɪᴅᴇ ᴍᴇ ≫ ᴅɪʟᴜᴄ
ɢᴀʟᴇꜱ ɢᴜɪᴅᴇ ᴍᴇ ≫ ᴋᴀᴇʏᴀ
ɢᴀʟᴇꜱ ɢᴜɪᴅᴇ ᴍᴇ ≫ ʀᴀᴢᴏʀ
ɢᴀʟᴇꜱ ɢᴜɪᴅᴇ ᴍᴇ ≫ ᴠᴇɴᴛɪ
ꜰᴀʀᴇᴡᴇʟʟ ᴍᴏɴᴅꜱᴛᴀᴅᴛ
𝐀𝐜𝐭 𝐈𝐈
ᴏᴅᴇꜱ ᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡɪɴᴅ
ᴛʜᴇɴ ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ᴡᴇʀᴇ ᴛᴡᴏ
ʙᴇᴛᴛᴇʀ ᴅᴀʏꜱ
ᴀᴅʀɪꜰᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ʜᴀʀʙᴏʀ
ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡʜɪᴄʜ ᴛᴀꜱᴛᴇꜱ ʙɪᴛᴛᴇʀ
ᴀ ᴅᴇᴀʟ'ꜱ ᴀ ᴅᴇᴀʟ
ꜰʀᴇᴛ ɴᴏ ᴍᴏʀᴇ, ꜱᴏɴɢ ʙɪʀᴅ
ᴛʜᴀᴛ'ꜱ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ꜰʀɪᴇɴᴅꜱ ᴀʀᴇ ꜰᴏʀ

ᴛʜᴇ ᴇxᴏʀᴄɪꜱᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴜʀꜱᴇ

7.1K 495 181
By monotone_skies

SIXTY TWO

BEING WITH CHONGYUN felt like a breath of fresh air. This feeling only intensified tenfold with the gentle sound of the waves crashing just below her feet. Right beside her, with his eyes locked to the sea, stood the exorcist who rested his arms against the wooden railing along the edge. As opposed to her, where light bounced off the soft strands of her hair, skin, and clothes, he was sure to stand beneath the shade of a nearby tree. Its shadows cast down on him with little light pushing through, making him look spotted with glowing specs.

His eyes wandered about the view with a pensive look to his face. He'd just told her about his recent exorcism, which ended up in complete failure. There were no spirits at the stated location, just a bunch of mischievous hoarders who thought it'd be fun to steal and mess around with the crew who were stationed there.

"You've been out more often," He said, "I take it you feel more comfortable?"

Thinking of Childe, (Y/n) answered. "Something like that..." She smiled nervously.

He glanced over at her, eyes partially obscured by his thick lashes. "I am glad to hear that," He expressed.

Steadily holding onto the railing, Chongyun crouched down to sit and slipped both his legs through the gap beneath. With his feet now dangling, the exorcist leaned his forehead against the horizontal wooden bar. His eyes darted across the white waves, watching each one as they crashed against the stone below.

(Y/n) did the same and joined him.

A relaxing sea breeze embraced both their figures. The fresh taste of the salty air brought about a new sense of comfort for (Y/n) as she inhaled the scent, and in that moment, felt at ease.

"The sound of the waves brings a very good aura," Chongyun said, "It is a melody that can make someone feel truly content."

(Y/n) listened. "Is it?" She asked him, her eyes looking into his, "Back home, I'd hear the sound of water at all times. I suppose I got so used to it that now I unfortunately can't relate to you." The sound of their voices were almost like the whispering of a summer breeze as she waited for his response.

Chongyun tilted his head to get a better view of her face. "It's a shame," He began, "If your ears were more in tune to the gentle sound of water, perhaps the calming effect would help offset your current disposition."

(Y/n) smiled at his way of saying things. "What's that supposed to mean?" She asked him.

But as soon as he took in a deep breath to speak, and without warning, a paper carried by the wind suddenly struck the side of Chongyun's head. It hugged his face like a blanket, but it was hardly as soft as one.

Clutching onto it, Chongyun took the paper in his hands. He straightened it out and eyed its contents.

"What is this?" (Y/n) hovered over his shoulder for a better look.

He faced the paper her way. "It's about an abandoned shrine in the outskirts of Lisha," Chongyun summarized, "A commissioner is asking for a volunteer to check the state of the ruin."

(Y/n) glanced his way. "An abandoned shrine..." She repeated to herself, "Aren't those magnets for spirits?"

Chongyun's pale face betrayed the tiniest hint of a smile. "It depends," He explained, "I won't know until I see it myself."

"So then, you're accepting it?" (Y/n) asked.

The boy's eyes slowly moved from the paper and darted towards her face. Their gaze met, and the tiniest flakes of frost danced in the hues of his irises. "I've nothing else to do today. And there's no harm in helping someone with such a task," He pushed himself from his seat and used the nearby railing to stand.

(Y/n) followed his figure. "Let me come with you then," She said as she slipped back her legs from over the edge.

Chongyun lent her a hand. "Are you sure?" His tone was filled with care, "It gets cold so far out into the mountains. You'll also get a little dirty..." He lingered in her gaze, "Are you still willing to come?"

"I know what I'm getting myself into," (Y/n) reassured him, "I wouldn't have offered if I couldn't handle it. Believe me."

Chongyun thought for a moment before nodding and turning to leave without another word, but not so quickly as to allow (Y/n) to match his pace. His feet barely made a sound against the ground as he walked, his pace was unhurried and sure.

When they neared the outskirts of Lisha, Chongyun turned to (Y/n). "I appreciate your company. But I have a question in mind..." He began, "What made you decide to come?"

(Y/n) kept her attention ahead. "I didn't want you to go alone, obviously," She said, "Besides, traveling is always funner with someone else. Don't you think?"

Chongyun paused, as if to consider. "I suppose so," He smiled softly. It truly was livelier with her accompanying him.

A sudden flash of warmth spread across his cheeks. And in his heart, he was struck by an arrow. The sudden feeling abruptly washed over him, and he thought back to all the times he'd felt the same way. It may have been a silly thought, but then and there, he concluded himself to be cursed somehow.

When did it begin? He wondered to himself, his eyes lingering over (Y/n)'s figure who was a few steps ahead.

As if to push him in the right direction, (Y/n)'a pace had suddenly slowed down when catching sight of a few butterflies. It was quite the coincidence their arms had bumped into each other. As their skin made contact, Chongyun felt an unfamiliar, electric sensation that ran through his body. It was a jolt that made his heart race and his stomach flutter, leaving him breathless. He looked up at (Y/n), who was peering down at the swarm without a care in the world. In that instant, everything became crystal clear for Chongyun: he realized that these peculiar sensations that had been haunting him like specters were all because of (Y/n).

A plethora of emotions coursed through him, leaving him feeling overwhelmed and uncertain. He had never experienced anything like this before, and he wasn't sure what to make of it. Chongyun's mind whirled with apprehension as he grappled with how to deal with this newfound discovery. He didn't want to jeopardize their amicable relationship, nor did he want to create an awkward situation between them.

"Hey," (Y/n)'s voice made his ears perk up, "I think I see the shrine up ahead."

The exorcist followed her line of sight. There, not too far from them, was the standing visage of an elegant shrine in a state of disarray.

Seeing this as an escape from his own head, he picked up his pace and darted forward through the ruins, his movements as fluid and effortless as a bird's flight. At his feet were broken planks and collapsed tiles. There were no signs of life within the ruins, but the air was strangely thick with tension. If one were to walk barefoot through the rubble and cracked tile, their feet would become chilled. If they closed their eyes, they might imagine ghosts or spirits lurking in the darkness.

No one in their right mind would enter this place. But just as soon as the exorcist stepped inside, the thick air he felt quickly dispersed. The tension was broken, and in its place, a silence. Complete silence.

As Chongyun took another step into the ruins, the silence was only enhanced. It was eerie, as if the world was listening in on his every move.

Chongyun took another step. And another. Then, he halted at the sound of something splitting.

He turned to (Y/n) with a question in his eyes. "Did you do that?" He asked her.

She met his gaze with round eyes. "Do what?"

The exorcist took a step forward, "It sounded like the-"

Within the span of a second, the floor beneath his feet gave away. Chongyun shouldn't have had time to react, but somehow, he hand found a way to keep him from falling. Gripping a broken beam with his bare skin, he could feel splinters digging in. He quickly threw his other hand above the other, now using both to keep himself up.

"Take my hand!" (Y/n) shouted as she knelt in front of him.

Chongyun glanced up, his focus lingering over her palm. There wasn't a huge gap between them, but the distance was enough for it to be a risk.

"If I were to take it, and both my strength and this here gives out, there is a chance I could pull you down with me," He said, "I cannot imagine putting you in that situation. I refuse to."

But (Y/n) insisted in helping him. "What else could I do then?" She asked, "Tell me."

It was visible all over her face how panicked she was. He'd never seen her so scared. So concerned. And all for him?

Chongyun thought for a moment. Then, he glanced down into the dark depths below him. He couldn't see far down, but he prayed the drop wasn't as extreme as he thought it to be.

He glanced back up at (Y/n), his hands threatening to lose their grip. "I'm going to let myself fall," The boy said.

(Y/n)'s eyes widened. She couldn't believe what she was hearing. "What- no," She shook her head, "Just... let me try to pull you up."

Chongyun stared at (Y/n) with an uneasy demeanor. Her offer touched his heart. He could see how much she truly cared about him. But before he could respond, the floor beneath her figure began to crack a bit.

Keeping a straight face so she wouldn't panic, Chongyun spoke, "(Y/n). I need you to slowly back away from me. Don't rush."

By just looking at his expression, (Y/n) moved backwards ever so slowly. But the same sound Chongyun had heard earlier beckoned the both of them to glance down beneath her figure.

In an instant, the floor gave out in a snap, and she fell through.

There was no hesitation. There was no second thought or what ifs. Letting go of the beam, Chongyun immediately reached out towards (Y/n) as she fell through, wrapping his arms around her. He pulled her as close to himself as he could, holding her tightly by his hands. His body had now became her shield.

The fall was short. But the plunge wasn't too unkind. In praying for their safety, it seemed like their luck had landed them in an underground cavern, one flooded with nearly every inch covered by water.

He could feel how cold it was as it rushed over his face. In that moment, the calm Chongyun had previously displayed vanished. He felt the water rushing in his ears. It rose to his chest, nearly up to his neck. He felt the pressure of the water on his head. It was as if the abyss had swallowed him up.

But then, he remembered. He was holding onto her in his arms.

At the thought, Chongyun rushed to the surface, (Y/n) still in tow. He used an arm to help himself move closer towards shallow water, the only sound heard being his hand that pushed against the gentle waves.

Streams of somber light poured over their figures from the surface where they had fallen through. As he emerged from the water with her in his arms, he noticed how clear the pool was. He even managed to maintain a calm demeanor when he realized the visible, transparent outline of bodies belonging to slimes who cautiously moved out of his way. Their round, wide eyes watched him as he held (Y/n) in his arms. A few followed behind him, but never too close.

Now on dry land, he looked back to where a few slimes poked their heads out of the water in curiosity. They stood still and stared.

Disregarding this, the exorcist looked ahead, scanning the cavern. Up ahead was what appeared to be natural light pouring in from an opening.

Seeing this as a good sign, Chongyun slowly turned his attention back her way. "We'll be alright, (Y/n)," He reassured her, "Just across this water is an exit. I can see faint light from here. If we swim across, I am certain we can-" But his words became obsolete when he felt her body shiver next to his.

Chongyun immediately snapped his head her way. His eyes darted across her face, who visibly exerted discomfort.

"...I-It's so cold down here!" (Y/n) expressed, "Is getting in the water the only way?"

For a brief moment, Chongyun was confused. But when he saw her breaths visibly in the air, he realized how cold it was. What would feel extremely chilly to (Y/n) was refreshing for him; as it contrasted to the often warm weather in Liyue Harbor. And in face of lower temperatures, they hardly bothered him in any way.

Knowing this, the boy looked around for a brief moment, his eyes glossing over the obscure shapes in the dark cavern when he suddenly caught sight of a seelie bumbling about nearby.

He'd seen them wandering the plains of Minlin before. They were like sprites or orbs of energy with ceremonial garments floating outwardly from their bodies. But most importantly, they  were warm. This, he remembered by the few times he'd gone near them. If he could direct one using his hands, he could bring it directly to (Y/n).

Chongyun glanced over at his friend. "I have an idea."

He carefully made his way towards the seelie, treading in ankle-depth water to reach it from a bushel of native cavern plants.

In the palm of his hands, the seelie hovered about an inch or two. He held it close to his face, his eyes staring at its peculiar form in wonder. But he quickly put space between it and his skin. The heat was becoming too uncomfortable to even touch.

The exorcist spun back around and picked up his pace to bring it quickly for his friend.

The seelie's warmth proved beneficial for (Y/n), who now stood behind Chongyun as he looked ahead, surveying the cavern with a determined expression. He kicked off his shoes, now carrying the pair in one hand. Then, a cold surge traveled from the core of his body down to his feet as he manipulated the elemental energy he housed. Ice flakes formed along his skin as it concentrated further down. When the skin beneath his foot made contact with the water, ice sprouted outwardly across the surface. Particles broke off. Drifting upward, they looked like snowflakes.

He looked back at her, offering his free hand for her to take. "If this makes you feel uncomfortable, we could find another way."

Holding the seelie with one hand, (Y/n) used the other to join his fingertips. "Not at all," She said, "I trust you will get the both of us out of here."

Her words caused a smile to form on his face.

As he took the first step, a thin layer of ice formed on the surface of the water, stretching out to create a path before them. (Y/n) was in awe as Chongyun continued, each step causing the ice to sprout forth.

Her hand was soft and warm, and it felt right in his own. He felt a sense of calm wash over him, and for the first time in a while, he felt truly content.

As they moved across the lake, their hands still intertwined, Chongyun felt a sense of connection with (Y/n). It was as if their hands were the only things anchoring them to reality, and everything else around them was a blur. They moved in a comfortable silence, both lost in their own thoughts and enjoying the peace of the moment.

He couldn't help but steal glances at (Y/n) every now and then, and he noticed that she seemed just as content as he was. Her face was serene, and her eyes sparkled what light the seelie gave off. It was a sight that took his breath away, and he knew that he wanted to hold onto this moment forever.

As they reached the other side of the lake, Chongyun reluctantly let go of (Y/n)'s hand. He felt a sense of loss as he did so, but he knew that this moment was something he would never forget. He looked over at (Y/n) and smiled, feeling grateful that in the end, everything that had turned out okay.

But, still...

If it weren't for the cold, cold temperature, he would've surely given in to the flare-up knotting in his chest.

Naturally, the exorcist evaded warm temperature, as per his condition. He despised it, making sure he was always cool and level headed. But this feeling he felt, he actually liked it.

It was a different kind of warmth. Not like the sun or the hot feeling of a jueyun chili that was snuck into his dish. It rose from deep below his chest and thickened in his heart. It made his cheeks mad with red and his breathing intensified. And it only grew stronger the longer he acknowledged it.

Chongyun didn't think much of his observations until a few seconds later when it clicked in his head. He gave word to the feeling, acknowledging he liked her very much. Much more than just a friend. And if this was what he had thought it'd be like to be cursed, then he didn't mind it one bit.

SIXTY TWO

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.1K 215 17
"𝐈𝐭𝐬 𝐨𝐟𝐟𝐢𝐜𝐢𝐚𝐥. 𝐃𝐢𝐥𝐮𝐜 𝐡𝐚𝐬 𝐚 𝐝𝐚𝐝𝐝𝐲 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐤." "𝐁𝐢𝐭𝐜𝐡 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐚 𝐭𝐨𝐩 𝐨𝐫 𝐚 𝐛𝐨𝐭𝐭𝐨𝐦?" ⚠︎⚠︎⚠︎...
482K 19K 40
𝘍𝘰𝘳𝘮𝘦𝘳 11𝘵𝘩 𝘍𝘢𝘵𝘶𝘪 𝘏𝘢𝘳𝘣𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘦𝘳, 𝘙𝘦𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘤𝘦𝘥 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘰𝘴𝘴𝘦𝘥 𝘢𝘴𝘪𝘥𝘦. 𝘈 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘨 𝘸𝘰𝘮𝘢𝘯 𝘭𝘦𝘢𝘷𝘦𝘴 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵�...
17.7K 793 13
)ೃ⁀➷ ɪɴ ᴡʜɪᴄʜ ᴀʟʜᴀɪᴛʜᴀᴍ ᴍɪꜱᴛᴀᴋᴇꜱ ʜɪꜱ ꜰᴇᴇʟɪɴɢꜱ ꜰᴏʀ ꜱᴏᴍᴇᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴇʟꜱᴇ, ʜᴇ ᴊᴜꜱᴛ ᴄᴀɴ'ᴛ ʜᴇʟᴘ ʙᴜᴛ ᴘᴜʀᴘᴏꜱᴇʟʏ ɢᴇᴛ ᴛᴏ ʏᴏᴜ. © oakycys ꜰᴇᴍʀᴇᴀᴅᴇʀxᴀʟʜᴀɪᴛʜᴀᴍ ᴡɪʟʟ ɪ...
5.2K 150 31
This Story Was Requested By @-Angelism