ɪꜰ ʏᴏᴜ ᴡᴇʀᴇ ʜᴇʀᴇ

FORTY

THERE WAS A change in the wind this evening. It touched above the water's surface, rippling Razor and (Y/n)'s reflection. A few seeds were tossed from the wolf boy's hand, beckoning the ducks in Cider Lake to surround his dangling legs.

(Y/n) traced the mark on her wrist with a fingertip. She was recounting last night's situation to him. "...And that's why I'm never working late again," The woman said alongside a sigh.

Razor picked a few pieces of seeds from the bunch in hand and tossed it towards the ducks. His gaze slowly flickered from the white birds towards her face.

"Night not good," He said.

(Y/n) nodded in agreement. "Mhm," She hummed. Then, she asked "Can I be honest with you, Razor?"

He glanced towards her again. "You can," The boy said.

(Y/n) gently let her torso fall onto the grass.  "...I really do miss Liyue. I miss the people in it." She looked over at Razor, who kept his attention on her from across his shoulder. "I wonder what they're all doing right now."

Razor turned back to the ducks, his fingertips rubbing against the seeds in his palm. "They eat," He said plainly. "Hungry. Like Razor."

(Y/n) sat up. "I thought I told you to tell me when you're ready to head back," She gently punched his shoulder in a playful manner.

"But, the ducks hungry too..." He explained as he tossed the remaining seeds into the water. "I feed them."

(Y/n) stifled a laugh. "Y'know, it's been a while since I've seen Bennett," She admitted out of the blue when the boy crossed her mind. "Sometimes I catch him in the library or on my way past the adventurers guild. But we never really stay to talk."

"Now that I think about it, I always see him alone," The woman continued. "I wonder if he has any friends."

Razor dusted his hands off. "Bennett is good friend," He said. "My friend."

She looked towards his face. "He came over once, didn't he?" (Y/n) asked. "To help. I distinctly remember."

The wolf boy peered down at the water, his reflection skewed and replaced by the figment of a wolf before reshaping back to his own face.

At this, Razor frowned.

He pushed himself away from the ledge, his palms against the grass. Both arms then supported his torso as he leaned back. He gazed up, those crimson red eyes of his darting across the clouds above Mondstadt.

"What are you thinking about?" (Y/n) asked. "I don't think I've ever seen you with such a concentrated look on your face."

Razor turned his head towards her. "I..." He paused briefly. "I am sad."

(Y/n)'s head down turned, but her eyes were kept to his face. "Do you... want to talk about it?" She asked.

The boy seemed to momentarily ponder his next words. "...Lupical," He began. "All wolves." He then placed a hand over his chest. "But me. I am no wolf. Not like them."

Razor turned his attention back towards the body of water. "I am just... Razor."

(Y/n) picked a small flower from nearby. She raised it towards her face, eyeing it as she twirled it before saying, "Razor is the best, isn't he?"