ɴᴏᴄᴛᴜᴀ

THIRTY SEVEN

AN OLD RECORD played inside the Ragnvindr Manor. It was timely, and in Diluc's opinion aged fairly well. It wasn't that he liked it, but he could've sworn it was his mother's favorite. He'd hear it every evening as she moved about the room with him in her arms as a young boy. He couldn't remember it vividly, but the sight of her hair filtering the light as they danced past the grand window was engraved as a memory.

Diluc stared down at the empty desk in front of him. His eyes were shut tight, listening as he reminisced the distant memory. Granted, there was nothing to look back at. But it was nice, wasn't it? It was just him, the song, and his reflective solitude as usual.

Then, his eyes fluttered open at the sound of the wide doors of the Ragnvindr Manor opening and shutting close. His hand immediately reached out to turn the player off, straightening himself up as he footsteps drew near.

Elzer, who in past history was left to attend the winery during his master's absence, appeared around the corner. Assuming it was only him, Diluc's gaze immediately met his figure. But then, he glanced to the side where (Y/n), who looked rather timid for once, followed behind.

His assistant excused himself, leaving the two alone on opposite ends of the table.

Taking in a deep breath, Diluc spoke up. "...(Y/n). What brings you here today?" He asked.

(Y/n)'s pupils darted around before settling on her shoes. "I wanted to apologize about that night," She said. "I thought Kaeya and I were doing something nice but, in the end, I didn't even consider how you'd feel about it." Her eyes then glanced up at him.

Diluc stared at her with an astonished look to his face. He couldn't help but wonder why she felt the need to apologize. But of course, she of all people wouldn't really know he could care less about what his brother does or doesn't do.

"...In truth, your surprise spared me an afternoon of pestering," He was honest. "Though, I have to admit there's just something on my mind I can't quite let go of."

(Y/n)'s gaze was fixed to his face. "...What is it?"

The man glanced down at his joint hands that rested above the desk. "About you and Kaeya..." He began.

Her eyes slightly widened.

"...Are you two close?"

(Y/n)'s face flushed. "No," She said without hesitation. But then realized how awkward it sounded. "I mean- what I meant to say is, we're just good friends," She clarified. "I wouldn't go as far to say we're close."

Her eyes then shyly met his. "...Why do you ask?

Diluc looked down. "...That night," He recounted. "You looked so distraught. I was certain your night was ruined by the mere whisper he wouldn't be there."

(Y/n)'s lashes innocently batted a few times. She then slowly made her way towards the chair facing his desk, fixing her dress as she took a seat. "Look," She began. "If you'll allow me to explain, I'll gladly clear up any misconceptions."

At her words, the redhead looked back up with a curious gaze.

"Kaeya had asked me to help him surprise you. So I agreed as I thought the two of you were close..." That last bit came out a bit slower as if to insinuate this was the most important part. "I didn't mean to look upset. Honest. I was just confused to hear he wasn't planning to attend when he told me he would earlier."

Diluc stayed quiet. But then, after a moment's thought, he spoke up. "...Is that all?" He asked.

Not once did (Y/n) feel nervous, not even thinking she probably already knew too much than she should've about the two. "...I should also tell you I visited him and had asked why he didn't come. So he proceeded to tell me about your relationship," She said. "About the frigid wall between and... about your father."

(Y/n) noticed how Diluc tensed up at the slight mention.

"But I assure you, he didn't tell me more than that the day merely split the two of you," The woman quickly added. "I didn't mean to overstep these boundaries either. It just... happened."

The redhead seemed to ponder, and for what seemed like the first time, she couldn't read his expression. What had came so easily in the warm tavern afternoons was now a blank slate that stared back at her.

Finally, he blinked his eyes. And with the blink of his eyes came a wave of relaxation that engulfed his features with a slight rush.

"It's as he said," Diluc spoke up. He then leaned back in his chair with a defeated tone. "The day my father died was the day we went our separate ways. Nothing more, nothing less." After all, she needn't know the details of that fateful argument between the brothers that proceeded after that chilling confession.

"I'm..." He paused briefly. "I..."

Diluc's gaze then met hers. "I appreciate you being completely honest with me," He said. "It makes me feel better my trust is not misplaced."

"I'm also terribly apologetic on behalf of my brother's actions that have led up to this point," He continued. "You shouldn't have been dragged into this."

With a nod, (Y/n) tucked her hands beneath her arms. "I didn't realize Kaeya would go to such lengths to confirm my background," She admitted. "At least now I know the type of character he is..."

Her background. Of course. He'd nearly forgotten the biggest shock factor of the night.

Now with her sitting across from him, he could get a better look at her. He would normally be able to study someone with ease like this, but he was dazed by his heart that nagged at him and wouldn't let him be.

Diluc hid the lower portion of his face with a gloved hand. "So it's true then," He commented. "You are..."

"Yes," She answered for him. "I carry aristocratic blood."

The redhead's brows furrowed. "(Y/n). It's quite frankly none of my business, but what are you doing working for the knights in a dust-ridden basement?" Diluc asked, almost with a hint of concern for her well-being.

(Y/n) sunk into her seat at the question. "...You're asking me to tell you my life story then," She managed to sneak in a laugh.

"Oh. My apologies-" He began, but she interjected.

"No, no. Its okay," (Y/n) assured him. "It might be better to tell someone trusting like you anyways."

THIRTY SEVEN