ᴀ ᴅᴇᴀʟ'ꜱ ᴀ ᴅᴇᴀʟ

SIXTY

HIS HAIR REMINDED (Y/n) of falling gold leaves. The ones that are a fading shade of red with brown ridges. It's what made him stand out in a crowd. It glistened like silk threads in broad daylight. But the most contrasting part about him were his eyes. While the rest of him emanated such warm, gentle hues, his eyes were dark and cold. Peering into them was like staring into an abyss. It was like having a bird's eye view into the trenches of the deep sea with no sign of light anywhere to be seen.

He was a man of a pale complexion that contrasted the reddish locks of hair beneath a crimson mask we wore. The grayish clothes he wore, a jacket and a matching pair of slacks, were creaseless with a cardinal banner across his chest. By his appearance alone, the air around him hushed to listen for the next word that's fall from his lips.

This felt all too familiar to (Y/n), who stood afar and watched the scene unfold. It was as if she'd experienced this exact moment before.

Passerby's who'd catch sight of him would instantly get drawn into a heavy conversation. He was irresistible like flowers were to bees. Like nectar to butterflies or hummingbirds. He'd take a few steps forward and everyone new within the vicinity instantly orbited around him.

Although it'd been a long time, (Y/n) wouldn't have guessed it the first time the two met given the circumstances, but the atmosphere surrounding him was incredible. It was truly a radiant ambience.

"Will that be all?" The vendor across from her asked.

(Y/n)'s eyes immediately darted back to the woman. "Yes."

Having handed her a few pieces of mora, the lady in return placed a few neatly made lotus pastries in front of her.

Ever since Xingqiu introduced her to the sweet treat, she couldn't help but buy a few once in a while. They became one of her favorite snacks to enjoy in the evenings.

(Y/n) placed the three desserts into a small, woven basket she carried. Draping them with a thin sheet, she thanked the vendor and turned away. But not before turning her head back towards the ginger for a last glance.

There was an empty space where he once stood. Everyone who previously engaged with him had gone on about their day as well. It was as if he'd never been there in the first place.

Telling herself to not think about it too much, (Y/n) carried on with her errands.

Having wandered about the harbor the entire morning with a quick stop at home to unload a few purchases, (Y/n) now walked beneath the long halls of the Wangshen Funeral Parlor. Sunlight and shadows crossed her face as she walked passed jarred doors. She'd feel the warmth, then the cold of dark, right up until she stood face to face with the elegantly carved door that separated her from Zhongli.

Before she did anything, (Y/n) glanced down at her bandaged wrist.

Today wasn't a visit like any other day. She had a reason for being here. She wanted to know more about it. But without Venti here to guide her, her only option was Zhongli who seemed to know so much about both the Archon and this mark.

Letting out a deep breath, (Y/n) raised a hand and knocked.

Her (e/c) eyes stared at the wooden surface, listening when footsteps from the other side filled the silence that once was. They were a gentle sound against the hard flooring. And every step he took, they each individually filled her ears with comfort as though she were listening to a tune.