ᴘʀɪɴᴄᴇꜱꜱ ꜰʀᴏᴍ ᴀꜰᴀʀ

FORTY SIX

SLIPPING A PAPER between old reports, she pushed the box back into place in the shelf, leaning her back against it and letting herself slowly slip onto the wooden floor.  (Y/n) then rested her arm over her knees, chin above her arms as she peered upward towards the ceiling.

She'd lost track of the days that slipped by. It felt like she had always lived here somehow, with a repetitive routine she stuck to. She could even say she was a part of Mondstadt, for her face became a regular you'd see passing by in the streets.

The window then hooked her attention, and so her (e/c) eyes wandered towards the glass pane.

There was a butterfly outside, and for the strangest reason, her focus was kindled over it. It was one of those moments where you just stare at something and can't look away. It was a soft yellow, and it rested over the sill for a few seconds before finally disappearing behind the wall.

"Hey princess." A voice made itself known. It was Kaeya. "Is the workload finally getting to you?"

(Y/n) met his gaze with the turn of her head. "Not really," She said. After all, her routine became so repetitive, every task seemed like second-nature by this point. "I just have a lot on my mind."

Kaeya's eyes darted across her face. Behind his normal expression, he wondered what was going on in her head. If something was bothering her, he hoped she knew she could rely on him.

Standing up, (Y/n) casually strolled back to her desk, leaning her arms against it. "Did you need something?" She asked.

The man looked as if he'd just snapped back to his senses. "Well, I was wondering if you could help me with something," He said. "It's nothing taxing. Just a favor, if you will."

She kept her gaze fixed on him as he continued.

"You see, Noelle's been feeling down lately. And I hate seeing her push herself too hard," He explained. "Do you mind checking in on her if by chance she crosses your way? I'm sure it'd brighten up her day."

(Y/n) glanced up for a second. "I guess I can," She said. "I might as well go now. I have to go see Hertha anyways."

With a quiet sigh, she walked around her desk and made way for the exit. (Y/n) passed Kaeya without even looking at him. He watched her back as she disappeared around the corner, his expression then relaxing now that she was gone.

The man took a few steps forth towards her empty chair, hovering his hand above the desk. From what seemed as though it were thin air, a flower manifested by use of his vision appeared between his fingers. It was cold, but that didn't bother him. He gently placed it down, his hand then moving towards the pen (Y/n) had left. He took a blank sheet, wrote a few words inside, folded it, and tucked it next to the flower.

Kaeya gently placed his hands in his pockets as he walked away from the scene. But before he could completely leave, he stopped in his tracks. His head glanced over his shoulder, eyes glossing over what had caught his attention with a slight smile finding its way across his lips.

"Not that your efforts weren't appreciated, but if you wanted to ask me for a bit of my time, you could've just said so," (Y/n) told Kaeya, referring to an earlier hour when they were in the same room.

The two currently sat outside the Angel Share's tavern, catching shadows as the sun pushed through.

Earlier he had asked her to check on Noelle. And afterwards, when she had came back to her desk, (Y/n) was rather surprised to find a crystal-like flower sitting above a small hand-written note.