ᴡɪᴛʜᴅʀᴀᴡɴ ʏᴇᴛ ᴄʟᴏꜱᴇ

THIRTY NINE

ALBEDO HARDLY EVER spent much time in Mondstadt. He preferred to give into his reclusive nature, spending most of his mornings and evenings on the blindingly white tops of Dragonspine. So when he did set foot into the city, you could only imagine the attention he'd get.

Chief alchemist, Captain of the Investigation Team, Kreideprinz. But of all his names, the worst one was when people referred to him as a "genius".

Such titles and honors are of no consequence to him when there is so much more research to conduct. He couldn't be more bothered with them. But he had a particular dislike for that last one. It gave him all the more reason to avoid social interactions.

Albedo currently sat at his desk, giving himself a moment's rest.

It was way too early to be awake. Half the residents of Mondstadt were most likely still in bed. He had just descended the mountain, having planned and taken this opportunity as a perfect time to avoid everyone.

Well, mostly everyone.

After about an hour or two, he heard footsteps echoing through the hall. Albedo didn't pay much mind, seeing as he didn't really care and was glued to a sketch his hands had began not too long ago.

They stopped across from his laboratory, a silence filling the atmosphere before they then shuffled to his door.

Without moving his head, Albedo glanced up. The door was then pushed with little to no effort, so it just swung shut again. This time, whoever was behind pushed it with more strength, allowing it to swing wide open.

From behind peeked in (Y/n) with a smile on her face. "Albedo," She greeted him. "You're here early?"

"Oh," The alchemist relaxed. "It's just you."

He kept his gaze fixed onto her figure as she helped herself in. "I've just returned from a small expedition," Albedo explained. "And mornings are quieter. So, my preferred hour to arrive would be now."

(Y/n) hummed in response as she loomed over his desk. "...You draw, Albedo?" Her eyes glossed over the page beneath his fingertips.

"Oh, yes. I do," He glanced down at his work.

"I had no idea," A corner of her lips tugged upward. "You do it often?" She asked.

The alchemist looked back up at her, to which their gaze met. "...Partly when Sucrose insists on small breaks," Albedo explained. "One I can't say I don't mind." He ended with a sigh.

Albedo didn't know why, but the question just rolled off his tongue as he asked. "...Would you," He paused briefly as he gathered his thoughts. "...like to try?"

After staring briefly at him, (Y/n) walked around his desk. She loomed over his shoulder, but was then at eye level as she leaned against the surface.

"How?" She had this warm smile plastered on her lips.

Their faces were close. Closer than he'd ever been to anyone. But Albedo didn't seem to care much, it was just something he took notice of.

The alchemist raised the pencil he had in hand towards her. "Here," His fingertips gently let go as she took it from his hands. "You'll need this."

He then stood up from his seat, offering (Y/n) to sit down and not tire from standing up.

Once she settled down and held the pencil above the page, Albedo rested an arm over the back of her chair, the other with his palm against the table. "If you don't mind," He began. "I'll watch a bit for now. Just to see what you know."