ʟᴀᴡʀᴇɴᴄᴇ

THIRTY ONE

A REBELLIOUS DESCENDANT. That's all she was.

Eula Lawrence, she who carried on the blood of sinners. Even severing ties with her clan wasn't enough to appease the citizens still haunted by the tyrannical rule of the Lawrence. But appeasing them wasn't the reason she had done this. Realizing the unjust treatment of the people, she sought to rewrite and prove herself as an individual, something most didn't even care to know.

The life of a Lawrence doesn't include much worth talking about. Basically, whatever you say, whatever you do, people will always despise you and treat you like a potential threat to society.

But at least good luck doesn't have eyes for discrimination.

Sent from its notable good hands was the outrider Amber, who saw Eula for the person she was, not for her family's stained legacy. And speaking of her, the Spindrift Knight currently made her way to meet the brunette outside of Good Hunter, a place both of them enjoyed catching up at.

Eula's unevenly cut pale blue hair that normally fell over her shoulder on one side now flowed behind her in the gentle breeze. The hints of silver adorning her black leotard, sleeves, and the heels slipped into her stockings glinted in the warm ambience. And the sound of her heels echoed pristinely amidst the bustling atmosphere, a warning for those around her to make way.

"Hey, what sort of slime do you like the most?" Paimon hovered above the blond's shoulder. The two were sitting at a table outside Good Hunter.

Aether glanced over towards her. "Pyro slimes, I suppose," He said, earning him a look of curiosity from his flying companion. "You can feel their warmth just by getting close. That's something you'll need in winter."

Paimon hummed absentmindedly. "That's very practical," She said. "But as expected of a traveler like yourself. So, not surprising."

The blond smiled. "What about you, Paimon?"

Her eyes lit up. "Oh, Paimon likes them all!" She exclaimed. "They're all very tasty! Especially when they're all bubbly, lovely, jubbly meals!"

Then, she piped down when a certain (h/c) haired woman came to mind. "Hey! Do you think (Y/n)'s tried slimes before?" Paimon asked. But then, she digressed. "Well... now that Paimon thinks about it, (Y/n) doesn't really seem like the type to eat slimes."

Aether agreed with a nod. And suddenly out of nowhere, a shadow was cast over the two.

Both Paimon and Aether glanced up, their gaze meeting none other than the Spindrift Knight herself, Eula Lawrence.

"Have the both of you seen Amber?" She asked. "We were supposed to meet at this hour but I haven't seen her around."

"No, sorry," Paimon shook her head. "We haven't seen Amber all day."

Eula's brows knitted into a frown. "Great," She sounded disappointed. But nonetheless she joined the two by taking the seat across from them. "Amber should've told me ahead of time she wouldn't be able to make it."

"Maybe she got caught up in something," Aether suggested. "After all, Amber isn't the type to leave you hanging." But even with the reassurance, the knight couldn't help but feel a lonely feeling crawl over the skin of her bare shoulders.

Even without Amber, it wasn't as if she wasn't trying to get along with others. But all just refused to give her a chance.

Eula then crossed her arms over the other, a small gesture to comfort herself. "People tell me that if I just spoke more softly, or was more polite, or acted more deferentially, others may find it easier to forgive me," She said. "But the only reason they think that way is because they've never been branded a pariah before. And when you're branded a pariah there's no easy path to redemption."