ᴛʜᴇ ᴇxᴏʀᴄɪꜱᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴜʀꜱᴇ

SIXTY TWO

BEING WITH CHONGYUN felt like a breath of fresh air. This feeling only intensified tenfold with the gentle sound of the waves crashing just below her feet. Right beside her, with his eyes locked to the sea, stood the exorcist who rested his arms against the wooden railing along the edge. As opposed to her, where light bounced off the soft strands of her hair, skin, and clothes, he was sure to stand beneath the shade of a nearby tree. Its shadows cast down on him with little light pushing through, making him look spotted with glowing specs.

His eyes wandered about the view with a pensive look to his face. He'd just told her about his recent exorcism, which ended up in complete failure. There were no spirits at the stated location, just a bunch of mischievous hoarders who thought it'd be fun to steal and mess around with the crew who were stationed there.

"You've been out more often," He said, "I take it you feel more comfortable?"

Thinking of Childe, (Y/n) answered. "Something like that..." She smiled nervously.

He glanced over at her, eyes partially obscured by his thick lashes. "I am glad to hear that," He expressed.

Steadily holding onto the railing, Chongyun crouched down to sit and slipped both his legs through the gap beneath. With his feet now dangling, the exorcist leaned his forehead against the horizontal wooden bar. His eyes darted across the white waves, watching each one as they crashed against the stone below.

(Y/n) did the same and joined him.

A relaxing sea breeze embraced both their figures. The fresh taste of the salty air brought about a new sense of comfort for (Y/n) as she inhaled the scent, and in that moment, felt at ease.

"The sound of the waves brings a very good aura," Chongyun said, "It is a melody that can make someone feel truly content."

(Y/n) listened. "Is it?" She asked him, her eyes looking into his, "Back home, I'd hear the sound of water at all times. I suppose I got so used to it that now I unfortunately can't relate to you." The sound of their voices were almost like the whispering of a summer breeze as she waited for his response.

Chongyun tilted his head to get a better view of her face. "It's a shame," He began, "If your ears were more in tune to the gentle sound of water, perhaps the calming effect would help offset your current disposition."

(Y/n) smiled at his way of saying things. "What's that supposed to mean?" She asked him.

But as soon as he took in a deep breath to speak, and without warning, a paper carried by the wind suddenly struck the side of Chongyun's head. It hugged his face like a blanket, but it was hardly as soft as one.

Clutching onto it, Chongyun took the paper in his hands. He straightened it out and eyed its contents.

"What is this?" (Y/n) hovered over his shoulder for a better look.

He faced the paper her way. "It's about an abandoned shrine in the outskirts of Lisha," Chongyun summarized, "A commissioner is asking for a volunteer to check the state of the ruin."

(Y/n) glanced his way. "An abandoned shrine..." She repeated to herself, "Aren't those magnets for spirits?"

Chongyun's pale face betrayed the tiniest hint of a smile. "It depends," He explained, "I won't know until I see it myself."