ᴋɪɴᴅʟɪɴɢ ꜰʟᴀᴍᴇ

FORTY SEVEN

MONDSTADT HAD TREES whose branches opened like hands reaching into the sky. The petals of buds on their twigs peeking into the filtered sunlight that seeped in from the heavy leaves. And just below them, you could always be sure to catch the wolf boy and his adventurer friend rushing past.

In search of a camp where belongings were requested to be returned after an encounter rendered the owners forgetful, they were sure to achieve great success. Yes, this was a great task the two had sent themselves on. But the rush merely lasted a few, only to end up suffering the consequences of Bennett's bad luck.

Or at least, that's how (Y/n) summed it up when Bennett—who sat by her in a stool in the archives—retold his morning with the Razor, who parted ways with him before the two reached the city.

"Thanks again for this," He said. "I really didn't want to bother Barbara as much as I have for the longest time now."

The boy had came to her in avoidance of the deaconess. Only one could imagine the progressive scoldings an individual could receive within a short time span.

Bennett then glued his eyes to the floor with a pensive look. "Though, now thinking about it, I'm actually surprised Barbara hasn't noticed..." He admitted. "She usually expects me at least once a day. I guess she's just so busy these days."

(Y/n) secured the bandage around his hand. "She could also keep you in mind, you know," She said. "Sometimes we don't say things out loud, but it doesn't mean we don't think about them."

This seemed to change his mood. Bennett's expression then brightened up, but only by a little bit. "...Yeah, I guess you're right," He said. "It sounds so simple when you put it that way."

(Y/n) lightly tapped the bandages, making sure they wouldn't come undone so easily. "I think I'm done," She said, though she sounded a bit unsure of herself.

Bennett raised his hand closer towards his face. "It looks great," He assured her. "I think it's even better than how I would've done it."

She smiled warmly at his words.

The boy hopped off the stool, straightening his figure in the process. It felt nice to stretch after sitting for so long.  "Great! This means I'll be able to go back and finish the commission," He said with enthusiasm.

(Y/n) stood from her seat as well. "Just be careful," She glanced over at him as he headed for the door at the end of the room. "And if by chance you see Razor again, can you tell him I left something for him to eat at home if he stops by?"

Bennett glanced over his shoulder before he stepped into the doorway. "Will do!" He flashed her a thumbs up. And then, he proceeded to exit.

For what had began as a rather fair day, large clouds piled over the city like a blanket. There was a chill to the air, way colder than she remembered it being that very morning. (Y/n) pushed the door to the tavern open. It was her usual stop before heading home, where she'd more often than not find herself spending time with friends like Kaeya or Eula. And if by pure chance, sometimes Aether and Paimon too.

But to her surprise, the inside was quiet without a single drunk in sight.

"Oh?" Her eyes darted around. "It's empty today?"