ᴄᴏᴍʀᴀᴅᴇꜱ

TWENTY  ONE

SINCE THE GEO Archon himself wouldn't tell him where she was, he'd have to pray to find her by chance. And what a challenge it would prove to be.

Very rarely did he find himself biting off more than he could chew, but how could he resist the idea of victory on an uneven battlefield? It enticed him even more, the thought of possibly being struck down by his opponent amidst a battle.

If he had to die right then and there, he would've gladly done so with a smile. For dying from the lustful satisfaction of combat with powerful enemies, it only made his desire stronger.

But he was a man of his word. And to this young woman he had unfinished business with was a debt he promised to keep.

"How exhilarating," Childe mumbled to himself, his back pressed against a pillar.

He turned his attention to the decorated streets of Feiyun Slope, watching the residents and locals alike bustle in their economic activities.

However, things were only bound to become all the more interesting when he recognized the familiar blond traveler strolling along past him.

"Lisa and Amber feel a bit like sisters," Aether said, taking a bite out of the skewer he held in his hand.

"Huh?" Paimon hovered over his shoulder. "Why's that?"

"Well, Amber often runs errands for Lisa," He spoke up. "And older siblings tend to ask their younger siblings to do things for them so that they can slack off, a rather common practice..."

"But my sister and I are the same age," His eyes became soft at mentioning her. "So we had to decide those things via rock-paper-scissors."

"Hm..." Paimon gazed around, a concept forming in her head. "Now thinking about it," She wagged her finger at him. "Wouldn't that make you my younger brother?"

At this, Aether raised a brow. "What do you mean?"

"Well, since Paimon floats," She gestured to herself. "You're the only one who can run any actual errands!"

Aether shook his head, a subtle smile crawling into place. "...Seriously?" He chuckled.

The blond then tossed the bare skewer into a nearby bin, gently massaging his stomach after a satisfying snack.

"Hey, look!" Paimon pointed towards a stand. "They're selling fisherman's toast! We haven't had any of that in a while!"

Aether smiled. "I suppose that's one more thing I can eat before you become emergency rations, huh, Paimon?" He teased, giving her a smug look.

"Nuh-uh!" She cried out. "Paimon would rather not be on that list at all!"

"Is that so?" Aether retorted.

"Traveler!"

At the sound of this common name, the blond and his companion turned to look over their shoulders. They were both equally surprised to see the eleventh harbinger himself—Childe—descending a nearby flight of stairs with pep to his step.

A gloved hand of his ran along his hair. "Comrades! Long time no see!" He greeted them cheerfully. "Glad to see you two doing swell."

Paimon's brows knitted to a frown. "Great! Look who it is."

Childe smiled rather innocently. "Come on now. Don't tell me you hold grudges?"

The floating companion crossed her arms at this, turning her back towards him with a, "hmph!"

Aether spoke up. "What are you doing on this side of the harbor?" He asked the redhead.

"Glad you asked!" Childe seemed ecstatic at the question. "You see, I've been looking for a certain someone for quite a bit. But it seems like all traces of her have suddenly disappeared."

Paimon glanced back at him. "What is this, a commission?" She raised a brow. "You're probably just looking for trouble!"

The blond traveler merely stayed silent as he glanced between the two.

Childe stifled a laugh. "I swear, it's nothing of the sorts," He smirked.

Paimon loomed over him. "Then?"

The redhead cleared his throat. "Alright, alright. I'll tell you," He said.

Aether listened attentively as the harbinger recalled the night the two met for the first time. How she invited him to her home and treated him without expecting anything in return. Childe told him of the the young woman with (h/c) locks of hair, who's (e/c) eyes held an air to them not seen so easily.

"I tried asking Mr. Zhongli for her whereabouts, seeing as the two were close. But he refused from telling me anything!" He exclaimed, seemingly annoyed too at the audacity.

Paimon spoke up. "Y'know, we spoke to Zhongli not too long ago," She admitted.

Childe kept his gaze fixed to her, waiting for her to continue.

"Paimon doesn't think he won't tell you to be mean," She clarified. "But Paimon thinks he's afraid any lead to her will put her in further danger."

Aether continued. "If he were to tell you, and something bad were to happen to her as a result of that. I doubt he'd be able to restrain from blaming himself at fault for it."

His words piqued Childe's interest. "Blame himself?" He asked. Could it be the former archon felt at extremes for the mortal woman? He wondered.

Paimon looked over towards the blond traveler, who nodded his head, approving her to continue if she wanted.

"It all started the day of the lantern rite," Paimon began to explain. "The two were enjoying themselves but she was taken while under Zhongli's watch."

The floating companion then glanced over at the blond. "Paimon can't begin imagine what he must've felt in the moment she wasn't by his side. It was probably scary."

"Wait a minute-" Childe looked rather confused. "Taken? By who?"

"Bad people," Paimon dragged the word.

"Still..." Aether's gaze fell towards the harbinger. "Why exactly were you looking for her?"

Childe blinked his eyes a few times. "To put it shortly, I'm indebted to her."

"Indebted?!" Paimon shrieked. "No way! How does someone as sweet as (Y/n) have something against Childe?"

"Perhaps she's stronger than him," The blond joked.

Paimon descended onto Aether's shoulder. "You mean to say she's as almighty- no, even stronger than him?!"

Childe ran a few fingers through his hair, getting bored of the conversation already. "Relay a message from me, will you?" He asked.

Aether nodded an "ok".

The harbinger pressed a hand to his hip. "From this day forth, we have a debt to settle," He spoke so casually.

TWENTY ONE