ᴘʀɪɴᴄᴇᴘꜱ ᴄʀᴇᴛᴀᴄᴇᴜꜱ

NINETEEN

THE LIBRARY WAS quiet, the stillness creating a peaceful atmosphere that was doused with a few whispers here and there. The sound of pages fluttered, and in hand, (Y/n) carried with her a stack of books.

Now that the foundations of her garden were complete, she was ready to take on the real challenge.

Growing plants.

Nonetheless, as her late grandfather had taught her, there wasn't a thing she couldn't learn from reading books.

(Y/n) took a seat at one of the tables, quietly sliding open the first of many. As she flipped through the pages, the sound of heels walking shuffled past her, and the unfortunate sound of books slipping from their grasp. It caused an abrupt noise that hooked a few others' attention, but only for a brief moment before turning back to their business.

The young woman looked over her shoulder, the sight of a fair skinned, amber eyed, and pale green-haired girl catching her focus. She pushed against the long table, allowing herself to get up and help her, her hands reaching for the sprawled texts.

"Oh!" She seemed startled by (Y/n). "Y-You really don't need to!"

(Y/n) stacked one book over the other on her knee, her hand reaching for another. "I don't mind at all," She flashed the girl a smile.

Grabbing hold of the last book on the floor, (Y/n) glanced up at her. "Where do you need these to go?" She asked.

The girl pushed up her glasses with a slight tremble. "Please! You've done enough," She tried to explain. "I can take it from here!"

(Y/n) turned rather serious. "Come on, let me help you," She said. "I really don't mind."

The girl seemed flustered by this. "...A-Alright then!" She reluctantly agreed. "Please, follow closely."

Holding onto the books tightly, (Y/n) followed the girl as she ascended the grand staircase of the library. The giant glass windows filtered the warm sunlight. It bounced off the shelves it touched, illuminating the spines and rims of the books that lined the wood.

They passed the librarian, returning the gesture when she waved them goodbye, her rosy lips curved to a smile.

Now in the halls of the building, (Y/n) caught glimpse of her looking over her shoulder. She seemed to look away when their gaze met, but then she slowly looked back once more. "I'm Sucrose, by the way," She introduced herself.

"(Y/n)."

After climbing another pair of stairs, Sucrose pushed open a pair of doors that were cracked ajar, revealing the brightly lit work space. (Y/n)'s eyes briefly fluttered, adjusting to the bright atmosphere that contrasted the rather dimly lit halls.

Ashen strands of blond hair greeted her, though they looked even lighter standing within the cascade of natural sun. The head they belonged to slightly turned, resplendent teal eyes meeting hers.

"...Sucrose," His soft lips moved. "Who's this?"

The alchemist's assistant gestured towards (Y/n) with a hand. "Apologies, Mister Albedo!" She turned bashful. "(Y/n) here was kind enough to lend me help carrying these books here."

But before the man named Albedo could correct her choice of title, Sucrose snapped her attention to the (h/c) haired girl. "T-Thank you very much!" She said, her face a slight reddish hue. "I appreciate your help."

(Y/n)'s gaze followed Sucrose's figure as she slipped by, her lashes rising and falling with each blinking motion.

Turning her attention from the door, she then glanced over at the young man. He seemed rather concentrated, his hands moving and tinkering with whatever it was in front of him on the wooden table.

She treaded closer to him, her eyes glued to the seeming mechanism.

(Y/n) noticed how the man's eyebrows turned rather frustrated. As if he were to scowl at any second.

"...Can I give it a try?" She asked him.

Albedo, without turning his head, stepped to the side. He crossed his arms over one another, his eyes lingering over the equipment.

(Y/n) took his spot, her hands reaching for the tool.

The alchemist watched as her fingertips moved around little pieces, slightly turning them and then fidgeting to analyze their function.

Albedo's gaze flickered from her hands and towards her face."...You are well versed?" He asked her.

(Y/n) hummed. "Exposure," She explained. "This kind of stuff is everywhere where I'm from."

The woman then glanced up at him with a smile. "I've never been taught but, you pick up a thing or two from watching the people work."

She then turned her attention back to the tool, her mind becoming concentrated into a kindled focus.

"Fontaine." (Y/n) froze when the name escaped his lips.

She slowly turned her head to face him, her eyes meeting his. "...How'd you figure that out?"

Albedo looked off to the side. "Process of elimination," He explained. "There aren't many places that seemingly deal with contraptions like these on a daily basis."

(Y/n) merely smiled and nodded, focusing her attention to the matter at hand.

"...Forgive me," The young man bashfully apologized. "I'm not one to frequently socialize at all, seeing as how troublesome it is to establish a relationship with someone. An even more taxing cycle to maintain it..."

The woman glanced up at him. "It's alright," She said. "You... sound like fun to be with."

Albedo's eyes slightly widened.

At the sound of a click, (Y/n)'s hands retreated to her sides. "There," She said, taking a few steps back. "It should work fine now."

Albedo reached for it, finding it to function as it did new. "I have to admit," He began, "I'm not quite fond of socializing, however, I find conversing with you a bit pleasing."

"Not as difficult as I'd imagine..." He expressed.

The alchemist then turned his full attention to her. "You may have heard from Sucrose, but you may call me Albedo," He slightly smiled.

The young woman returned the warm gesture. "(Y/n)," She introduced herself.

By accident, Albedo accidentally let the pen on his desk slip when placing his hand nearby. It rolled off, eventually hitting the cold floor between the two.

Before he could even think twice, (Y/n) had already crouched down to reach for it. She held it with two fingers, offering it to him as she straightened herself back up.

"Think you dropped this," Her rosy lips curved upwards.

"Thank you," He said as his hand reached for it.

There was a brief moment their fingertips touched, to which his brows furrowed at the strange situation. (Y/n) bid him farewell, and he shook it off, thinking nothing of it and resuming his work.

NINETEEN