ᴛɪʟʟ ᴛʜᴇ ʟᴀɴᴛᴇʀɴꜱ ʙᴜʀɴ ᴏᴜᴛ

TEN

THE HANGING LANTERNS, the warmth smiles spread by just mere sight. There was heat from the stoves of stalls and the markets, the smell of fresh ingredients lingered in the air. But once further down, the scent of fire sticks burning like little stars in the darkest corners filled her nose. It was a completely different dimension when compared to the cold yet nimble atmosphere of her home. Not a sight of metallic gears or steam from pipes, nor the echo of heels against marble floors, and neither the subtle sounds of heavy cloth dragged amidst the glittering decor. No, it was a whole other story to be told.

The former archon took light steps after the (h/c) haired girl, a bit amused by the excitement expressed on her face.

"...Zhongli!" She called out his name, gesturing towards the man-made structure amidst the harbor. "What is that?"

"If I told you what it is, it'd ruin the anticipated event of the night," He expressed, "It's your first of many, wouldn't you rather be surprised?"

"...I suppose you make a good point," (Y/n) admitted. "Then, is the harbor a better place to see the lanterns from?" She asked. "I want to get a perfect view of everything."

The man gazed upon the starry skies, the moonlight bouncing off his vibrant, amber colored eyes. "...Assuming the residents will be able to see them from any place of standing," He began. "Wherever you wish to go is fine by me."

"Alright then..." The woman's eyes darted over the endless heads surrounding the two, trying to figure out the least populated place where they could see the lanterns from a perfect view.

All the while she kept her attention towards searching, the former archon peered down at his suit, remembering the little token he had acquired just for his dear friend standing next to him.

"If I may," Zhongli spoke up, unclipping a hidden lily from his attire.

His hand reached over her ear, placing it gently into the strands of her hair. A satisfied expression formed on his face as his arm retreated. "This is the lantern rite," He explained, "Everyone should feel special on a day like this."

(Y/n)'s fingertips brushed against the petals.They were soft, delicate, and a texture unlike any other.

"...Zhongli," His name sounded sweetly coming from her lips. "Thank you."

He managed a small smile, one that told her he appreciated her comment. "Might I suggest mindlessly wandering about? If we see someplace you like we'll stay."

"Alright," (Y/n) agreed. "Lead the way."

The warm, illuminated streets of Liyue were as ravishing as ever. Vibrant colors wrapped around normally plain spaces, and the people filled the streets with their extravagant attire. Zhongli led (Y/n) down the small bridge that connected the districts, the two enjoying a moment of solitude from the loud noise and laughter of the crowds.

"...It's rather nice to get away from all the excitement," She admitted. "I forget what it's like to be surrounded by so many people."

Zhongli briefly glanced away for a moment. "If you don't mind. I have a place in mind where I'm sure it will be less crowded."

(Y/n) acknowledged the sincere thought. "Let's go then," She smiled.

But a mere feet away from them, in the alley where the shadows cascaded from the rather tall buildings, stood a few shady looking men.

Their voices were hushed, but even that could not hide rhe aggression in their tone. "...By the time the lanterns burn out, we'll need to scram!" One of them berated the others. "Tomorrow isn't an option."