ʟᴀᴘɪꜱ ᴅᴇɪ

ONE

BECAUSE LIYUE WAS the center place for market and merchandise, it magnetized voyagers and peregrinations alike. Luminescent pendants strewn about the stands, cloths imported from other lands. Such things were sure to allure and captivate wanderers who seeked thrill and a change of pace.

However, it wasn't the glittering establishments of the harbor that had brought (Y/n) to stay. No, why, she'd have to say it was the pristine coincidence of meeting a man named Zhongli.

While in the grand chateau of her family, and after a malignant discordance, she took it upon herself to childishly run away.

When she first met him, he had a distinct and reverent way of putting words, drawing everyone listening closer to him. Any man could talk and adapt their words to the dynamic of the listener, but not just any man could speak without needing to raise his voice for him to be the center of attention.

Zhongli was a variant of a man, and in this minuscule, inhibited life, she opted to befriend him.

The Heyu Teahouse was where she was bound to be nearly every afternoon. Sitting across from the man she'd grown familiar with, she turned to the view of the sea, watching the waves pull into the harbor.

"The views could never bore me," She spoke, her tone laced with a melodic tune followed by a sweet sigh.

The brunet set aside the wooden cup in hand, his amber-infused eyes glossing over towards the same scenic view. All she earned from him was a slight smile and subtle nod.

Zhongli, as (Y/n) had come to know him by, was an expert in just about everything there is to know. His hands moved when talking in the most finest manner, and his passion for the most tidbits of useless trivia was evident in the way he spoke from the heart.

It was comforting to know such a friend. The first she ever made in Liyue harbor.

"In all my time, it's simply incomparable to those in the now and those bygone," He spoke up, "This city is prosperous, and there is beauty in its simplicity."

(Y/n) tapped the tips of her fingers around the rim of her cup, holding it with both hands. Her eyes darted across the boats, across the heads that'd pass by from below. Taking in a deep breath, she parted her lips to speak. "It's been about two weeks now, hasn't it?" She asked rhetorically, "I didn't think I'd get this far."

Zhongli kept quiet, turning his attention back towards her figure. "Time has a way of progressing rather quickly," He said, "Even more so when you let it pass you by, friend."

The woman glanced up at him. "I spend every other day with you. Listening to your musings while idly walking through the harbor," The ends of her lips curved upward, "You're like a walking book. Things I've never heard of you share, and when I don't know something, you educate me on the matter."

"Back home, I was almost always alone," She went on, her normal tone dwindling as she reminisced, "Sure I had a friend but, he stayed with my father as he was his student... of sorts."

(Y/n) raised her chin. "It's a bit complicated to explain," She clarified, "So I'll spare you the rough details."

"Of course," His tone was pleasant, "We can discuss these matters if you so wish another time."

And then silence rolled over the harbor. Like a brief moment to settle into the evening atmosphere. (Y/n) tightened her grip on the teacup she held, lifting it delicately to her lips.

"(Y/n)," Hearing her name beckoned her to glance back up at him, "Have you ever heard of the Lantern Rite?"

She hummed, setting the cup back down. "No. I have not," She was honest, "What is it exactly?

"If you haven't caught wind of it yet, it is a festival in Liyue celebrated on the first full moon of the year," He explained, "It lasts for five days. And it will also be your first, won't it?"

(Y/n) repeated the words in disbelief. "A festival that lasts five days?" Her eyes glittered, "That sounds amazing. I... I haven't ever heard of such a thing." She subtly shook her head.

"This day and age, I doubt there any that can remember its origins," He spoke, "But in a time of war long ago, the people of Liyue released lanterns as a reminder to their loved ones serving of the way home."

"It was a reminder to never lose hope," He said, "And to never lose sight of themselves."

(Y/n) listened attentively. And when Zhongli reached for the teacup in front of him, she took it as a sign he was finished talking.

And so she freely spoke up. "There are so many things I still have to learn about Liyue," She said, "I have to admit. I honestly don't know where I'd be without you."

"...But this festival," (Y/n) continued, "Tell me more?"

ONE