ᴛʜᴇɴ ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ᴡᴇʀᴇ ᴛᴡᴏ

FIFTY SIX

CHONGYUN SAT OVER the ledge of the small bridge that connected the two harbors. In hand was a chilly, ice-cold popsicle held between his fingers. He lifted it towards his semi-warm lips, already frosted by the flavorless dessert in his hand.

It was a quiet day in Liyue, and the gentle gusts of winds that tousled the framing strands of hair only cooled his overall temperature. His lashes fell over his eyes, looking rather bored staring off into the sea with nothing else to do.

Chongyun kept an eye on the current as it pushed and pulled, its repetitive cycle entrancing him to keep watching. That was when a thin leaf fell into perspective. It traveled across his line of view, gently accepting its imminent fall to the depths below. There were so many just like it, all in their own, singular path.

The boy couldn't help but let out a gentle sigh. As he raised the popsicle towards his mouth, a pair of hands made their way across his eyes, his head pressed against their chest.

"Guess who?" The voice whispered.

Chongyun's eyes widened beneath the darkness, his lashes brushing against their palm.

The popsicle he held in hand unintentionally fell from his loosening fingertips.

"(Y/n)..." His hands immediately rested over hers, pulling them down for him to see her with his own eyes.

The exorcist looked over his shoulder to be met with (Y/n)'s figure standing right there behind.

"(Y/n)-" He nearly lost his balance throwing his legs over the wooden railing. But composing himself, he stood tall before her. "When did you- No, is it okay for you to even be here?!"

(Y/n) answered honestly. "I can't say for certain, but it's better than sitting in Mondstadt and waiting to be caught."

Chongyun's brows furrowed. He looked worried.

"I'd like to explain everything to you and Xingqiu," (Y/n) said. Then, she thought to assure him with a few comforting words. "Believe me when I say I'll be okay. Trust me."

This seemed to relax him a little. "I trust you," He said. Then, the questioning continued. "Tell me, when did you arrive? I've been sitting here all day, and I hadn't even seen you around at all."

(Y/n) felt herself at ease with the topic. "I've actually just arrived," She explained, "My first stop was at the funeral parlor, so I hadn't had the chance to come see you and Xingqiu until now."

"Speaking of which," She continued, "Where's Xingqiu?"

Chongyun looked away briefly. "He's at his home. But, would you want to see him now?" He asked, "I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem."

Her (e/c) eyes went round. "Could we?"

Xingqiu sat at the opposite end of the table from his brother.

He was currently visiting him in his study. He held a book in hand, his nose deep inside. But his amber eyes would glance up ever so often to catch glimpse of his elder sibling.

Parting his lips to call out his name, Xingqiu stopped himself when his brother abruptly stood to leave. He watched as his fingertips loosened around the book he held, letting it slip down flatly onto the table without much care.

Xingqiu kept his focus on the book, listening as his brother's footsteps disappeared out the door and down the hall. Once he was completely gone, the boy  immediately stood from his seat to reach for it.