ꜰʀɪᴇɴᴅ ᴏꜰ ᴀ ꜰʀɪᴇɴᴅ

SIX

THE MAN WAS the epitome of his own world. With hair filled like shades of autumn tones, and eyes with hues as abyssal as the depths of the sea. (Y/n) stood from afar, her pace slowing down as she caught sight of him. He slightly threw his head back, a peal of laughter escaping his lips. A hand found its way over his shoulder on the same side, his fingertips running to the back of his neck. He turned to whoever he was talking to, his hand returning to his side as he carried on their conversation. And as he listened attentively, his smile then faded. His head turned to the crowded street, and his eyes darted across as if he were looking for someone. Until, his gaze met hers.

(Y/n) turned her head back around, her pace quickening. Her shadow followed closely behind, never once looking back at the stranger who caught her eye.

"I didn't keep you waiting long, did I?" The (h/c) haired girl skipped a few steps, her hands reaching for the railing ahead of her. She held on tightly, using a hand to brush the hair out of her face as she looked afar over the harbor.

"Not at all," Zhongli gazed down at her, "In fact, I'd say it's perfect timing."

(Y/n) turned her head to look at him. "You still haven't told me where we're going," She said in hopes he'd tell her so.

The man, albeit the absence of a smile, hummed a cheerful tune. "I've heard people prefer to be surprised," He said, "It earns both parties a different thrill than if one were to know."

(Y/n) blinked her eyes a few times before breaking out into a wide grin. "You're so strange, Zhongli," She teased.

"Strange I may be, but surely you trust this strange man enough?" He returned the gesture.

"Nicely played," She said, "But go on. Lead the way."

(Y/n) followed her dear friend closely, growing ever the more curious when they had left the harbor. They were now quite a great distance away, and every time she looked over her shoulder, the scenery seemed to change with every glance.

"You'd arrived in Liyue long ago now," Zhongli spoke out of the blue, "Do you recall our conversation from the day we met?"

(Y/n) stared up at him. "Of course," She nodded, "You said you'd help guide me around the harbor until it's become familiar."

The two reached a wide field, and upon stepping into it did (Y/n) realize the tall grass hid thousands upon thousands of lilies.

Carefully treading through them, she followed him till it seemed the two had reached the center. All around them was a sea filled with nothing but endless rows of wild lilies.

Zhongli carefully picked one by its stem, straightening up and then holding it endearingly close. "You cannot see how quickly time passes until it shows," He tilted the glaze lily at different angles, "And then you realize how short time really is."

(Y/n) kept silent.

His gaze rose from the flora and towards the rest. "It's been a month, hasn't it?" He asked, "We spend nearly every other day together, and I can tell you won't be needing me in the near future."

The young woman was rather surprised at his choice of words. "...Why would you say that?" She asked him.

Zhongli looked over at her, his thumb unknowingly rubbing a bruise into the stem. "I bring this up to remind you of your independence," He explained, "So you won't forget how capable you are of achieving the things you're reaching for."