39| Clarify Your Feelings

LOGAN was inconveniently out of town for a physics conference on the weekend of Hunter's birthday

LOGAN was inconveniently out of town for a physics conference on the weekend of Hunter's birthday. She was turning 5, which was a huge milestone in my book. I'd already been sending packages to their apartment over the past week, counting down until Hunter's actual birthday, today, which was Saturday. I'd sent her favorite chocolate milks, a new volleyball for her to practice with, some new shoelaces for her volleyball shoes (just shoelaces because Hunter was always talking about getting lime green ones), a couple other volleyball-related things, and an easel so she could do some watercolor paintings (because I knew she was in her artistic phase, and I secretly wanted her to paint me something to hang on my wall). Today, I was going to give her the final present, which included a whole set of watercolor paints and paint brushes, plus I was going to be attending her party.

Of course, I'd pretty much helped out with Hunter's birthday party every year, because it was my job to plan events, and since Noah and Logan were my friends, I'd gladly do it for free. Except because Logan was out of town, and she was the one who always got me on board and gave me the details, Noah had completely forgotten. Not about Hunter or her birthday, but about sending me the details. Aka when to show up, what to bring, what he needed my help with, etc. Actually, I think Noah completely blanked on the party as a whole because he called me twenty minutes ago speaking frantically saying:

"Porkchop, there are 7 young girls in my apartment right now, and there's no food, no cake, and nothing but the minimal decorations Logan left me in the closet. Help! Please!"

So, obviously, I was on my way to rescue that whole situation. Good thing I was already dressed and had no plans (because Cayden was working, Jeremy was having another bonding night with Rose, and Tyler had a late night practice and team dinner), so I made it to Noah's apartment in less than 15 minutes.

When I knocked on the door, I could already hear the commotion of a bunch of young girls screaming and running around. It made me smile. They were probably having a blast. Kids didn't necessarily need fancy decorations or a put-together party with an itinerary; they were just happy enough to hang out together and run around and have fun. It's what kids are good at. Their imaginations do it all for them.

Still, I had some extra small decorations in my bag, along with my last-minute food and dessert prep. I had told Noah to mix up the box cake mix I knew Logan had bought earlier in the week, before she left, when we'd gone grocery shopping together. Hunter's favorite cake was strawberries and cream, so Noah had thrown it together and put it in the oven. If I was lucky, it was already chilling in the freezer so I could decorate it.

The front door swung open, and Noah looked just so flustered. It looked like everything had been wreaking havoc on him.

"I," he said, dramatically, "am dying. And I have never ever been so happy to see my favorite, absolute favorite, person in the entire world, Mr. Clayton Greenwood!"