42| Whipped Cream for Your Thoughts?

IT'S not like I had bad memories with my family, so why was I feeling so weird when Tyler asked me about spending Thanksgiving with them? I had happy memories

IT'S not like I had bad memories with my family, so why was I feeling so weird when Tyler asked me about spending Thanksgiving with them? I had happy memories. I really did. I remember loving my trips to the store a few blocks away from our house, gathering groceries and crafting supplies, and getting things together. When I was younger, I helped my mom cook, and then she kind of just let me take over for the most part when I entered my teen years. It was because she knew I liked to do it, and so my mom and my dad would leave the house for the entire day, then come back pretty late when I'd gotten everything ready. They never ate much, but it was okay because I could eat a lot. I had a huge appetite, especially when volleyball became a bigger part of my life.

I don't know why it all suddenly made me feel weird, but I tried to push that weirdness away. Because it was Thanksgiving, and it was one of the best happy days of the year, and Tyler and all my friends were here. I wanted it to be amazing. I think maybe I was just missing my parents, and that's why things felt a little off.

So Tyler helped me set up the table, and soon enough, everyone was sitting down, crammed side by side. The kids were sitting at a smaller table in the living room, where they could still watch their Barbie in peace.

Except peace was hard to attain with so many people in such a little space. With so much food and an overcrowded table.

"Alright, who's having sparkling cider, and who's having wine?" Noah asked from the kitchen.

"Did anybody get the butter out of the fridge?" Jeremy asked.

"That was your job," Cayden said, attempting to scoop some mashed potatoes onto his plate until Jeremy swatted his hand away, and mashed potatoes were flung onto the wall behind them.

"Ah, my favorite wall decor!" Cayden exclaimed, glaring at Jeremy.

"Wine for me," Logan said, taking a roll from the center of the table and looking around, searching for something. "The hell is the butter?"

"We just went over this, actually–"

"I know you're not giving me that same sass," Logan snapped, and Jeremy immediately shut up. "Noah, get the butter!"

"I'm literally trying to pour wine," Noah said, then quickly added, "But yes, of course dear, let me get the butter!"

"You can't have these rolls without butter," Logan said to me. "Sparkling cider?"

I nodded, and she yelled for Noah to get me a glass of cider, and Tyler opted for the same.

"It's not Thanksgiving without sparkling cider," he said.

I grinned. "You're completely right."

Noah carried everyone's drinks to the table in a few trips, then finally took his seat at the end of the table beside Logan.