11| Code Word: Watermelon

BEFORE driving an hour to the scrimmage, and since I had to leave at 7:30 in the fucking morning in order to get there in time for warm-ups, I stopped at the café Cayden worked at to get a coffee

BEFORE driving an hour to the scrimmage, and since I had to leave at 7:30 in the fucking morning in order to get there in time for warm-ups, I stopped at the café Cayden worked at to get a coffee. Because I needed caffeine or else I would literally collapse on the court mid-game, and that would just be fucking embarrassing. Couldn't pull any embarrassing maneuvers during the first scrimmage and the first time playing with my new team.

"Ty Ham! In so early?" Cayden said the moment I walked through the door. "You look like you're headed to the gym. Are you headed to the gym? Are you getting your fitness on?"

"Basketball scrimmage at UGA in an hour," I told him. "And I'm in need of caffeine."

"I'll make you something strong, yet delicious!" Cayden exclaimed and got to work. "Is this scrimmage open to the public?"

"There'll probably be a small crowd. I don't know. But yeah, it's open," I said, leaning against the counter. "You gonna come cheer me on as my new BFF-therapist-mentor?"

"I do have a pretty busy schedule today, Ty, however, I would love to see you play," Cayden said, spinning around to hand me an unknown coffee that, when I took a sip, tasted mostly like caramel. Thank goodness for him. "It's at 9?"

"Yup," I confirmed. "And I have to get going or else I'm gonna be late, and that's just wrong."

"Okay, well you go, and I'll try and make it Ty! I'd bring Jeremy, but he's super busy, but maybe Logan or Noah can make it!" Cayden yelled while I backed out of the café.

"Thanks, man! You're the best!"

I left the café, coffee in hand, and made it back to my car. I sent a text to Jesse Campbell before pulling onto the road, telling him that I was fucking pumped for the scrimmage against Georgia Tech today. I didn't have time to await his response, so I put the car in drive and started the hour-long trip to UGA. Alex, my parents, and Ethan had already texted me this morning wishing me luck, and I responded to them all with heart and star emojis, vowing to text them once the scrimmage was up and let them know how it went.

Truthfully, I couldn't see how the scrimmage could be anything but fantastic.

The drive was long, but I blasted my basketball playlist and specifically replayed "Get Geeked" by Ski Mask The Slump God because if there was any song that got me riled up before a game, it was that one. Nothing could tear me down when I listened to that damn song. I swear.

When I finally made it to campus, I parked my car across the street from the gym. I was overcome with a sudden nervousness, and I was kind of afraid of getting lost on my way to the locker room. So it was a saving grace when I saw Connor getting out of his car. I ran right over to him.

"Tyler," Connor said, smiling when I caught up with him. 

"Thought I might not want to get lost right off the bat," I said, catching my breath.