16| Chartreuse Means Serial Killer Tendencies

I'D gotten myself into a pickle. I had game, but texting Clay earlier today, I was all talk.

My apartment was by no means in the shape for a party, even if it was a small one with just Clay and his close group of friends. It's not like I was a complete pig, and the place wasn't super messy because honestly, I didn't use enough dishes to crowd the sink, and I mainly just lay on the couch all day without causing too much of a mess. There were clothes and shit kind of scattered throughout my room and bathroom, and it wasn't super tidy, but that wasn't the main issue. The main issue was that as much as I loved this fucking dope apartment, it hardly had anything that really felt like me.

It was super modern, decorated aesthetically, and pretty damn classy. Now, I liked the aesthetic, and I liked that everything was so put-together. But I wasn't the most put-together human being, and living minimalistically, with decorative pillows and marble vases didn't exactly scream Tyler Hamilton. I needed a little bit of chaos and idiocy in my apartment to make it really feel authentic. My room felt pretty authentic with the color-changing lights, the slight mess, and my personal items from home.

I wanted the rest of the place to feel like it matched who I was before anyone else saw it. Besides Cayden, of course, since he'd already been there.

That's what made him the perfect person to enlist for help after texting Clay and inviting him over for a party that I hadn't yet planned or thought out. Really, I don't know what I was thinking. I just wanted an excuse to get Clay in my apartment with his group of friends because I knew he felt comfortable around them, and I understood why. Maybe having him over with all of them would help me see him in a new light. I just wanted to give this thing a shot despite my inhibitions. I usually held back, but I was really trying not to.

A party was a great idea, that's what Cayden said. And he agreed to come over after work to help me get the apartment in shape. What we needed, he said, was a shopping spree.

He was so fucking right.

When Cayden came over and I gave him my plan for decorating and also my idea for a party tomorrow night, he was all in. Ecstatic, really. He texted his entire group of friends at that moment, and then it was shopping time.

"You see, I like the aesthetic of your apartment already. It's just so modern and gorgeous," Cayden said while we walked through some local shop that carried just about everything. Home decor, cleaning supplies, food, and even canoes. It was an odd store. "But I see what you're saying. You need it to feel a little more like your chaotic self."

"Rude."

"You said it!" Cayden protested. "No. You called yourself chaotic first in the car, which means you're not allowed to be petty that I am agreeing. I'm simply repeating your words, Ty Ham."

I laughed. "I'm kidding. Calm down." I stopped and checked our surroundings. We were directly in between the bedding section and the bread aisle. "What is this place and what are we looking for, anyway?"