20| The Zach Disease

19| The Zach Disease

THE good thing about driving an hour to the UGA campus was that the weight room was of pretty generous size, and it had all the equipment I could have ever dreamed of

THE good thing about driving an hour to the UGA campus was that the weight room was of pretty generous size, and it had all the equipment I could have ever dreamed of. There were platforms, squatting racks, a track around the perimeter in case I wanted to run, and a bunch of other random shit that I found myself becoming intrigued by and wanting to use at some point. Some people thought working out was intolerable and a chore, but I just saw it as a way to let off the occasional steam that built up inside me, and as a way to bring myself a burst of energy and happiness. It was rare I came out of a workout feeling shittier than when I walked in, and usually, I could turn around my bad mood if I just worked out for an hour. Afterward, it was like I was a brand-new bitch.

The bad thing about the hour-long drive and using UGA's weight room was the fact that I had forgotten a key detail: Georgia Tech's basketball team was beginning to use our facilities.

It had been just over a week since Coach broke the news, and he told us that GT's team would start using our gym and weight room on the first of July.

I didn't even realize it was the first of July until I had showed up to the weight room and made direct eye contact with Zach.

That was the moment I knew I was in for an intense steam-blowing workout. When originally, I'd just been ready to feel better and refreshed.

Clay had been pretty busy for the past week since the last time we hung out and pretty much spent the day together. I was kind of surprised by how affected I felt by his absence; I wanted to see him, and though I was still texting him often, it didn't quite feel like enough. At the same time, that sensation mildly freaked me out. I didn't realize how much I already liked Clay and counted on seeing him.

But I was also telling myself that the break, time without seeing him so much, was for the best.

So yeah, anyway. I wanted to feel better because not seeing Clay had been taking a surprising toll on my mood, and I needed to feel refreshed after a satisfying workout because I hadn't slept much the past night. There were too many movies to watch.

But obviously, Zach's presence irritated me to no end. So I was no longer just going to the gym for the sake of getting a satisfying workout; I was going to push out all of the anger that Zach's stupid face caused me.

Ignoring him seemed to work out fairly well for the time that I was in the weight room. He wasn't alone, he was with 2 of his teammates, and the good news was that he never walked up to me. There were times when I would finish a set and look up to see that Zach's eyes were on me, which pissed me off. But I just moved onto whatever exercise was next and ignored him. I had my earbuds in, and that was enough.

I ended my workout, as always, on the treadmill. I just walked to kind of catch my breath and then I would stretch afterward. During my cool down, Clay was texting me.