32| The Synonyms That Describe Our Relationship

ALEXANDER and I hugged before he left the rooftop café, and we promised to keep in touch and hang out again while he was in Georgia

ALEXANDER and I hugged before he left the rooftop café, and we promised to keep in touch and hang out again while he was in Georgia. I knew enough to be sure of the fact that I wanted to see him again, just to talk to him. I don't know. I missed Alexander. I wanted to see if we could just be friends after everything we'd been through together.

And as soon as Alexander left, I got in my car and drove to Clay's. I knew he was working from his apartment today, and I wanted to stop by. To make sure he knew where I stood when it came to Alexander.

And yeah, I totally could have done the whole "Will you be my boyfriend for real?" thing, the cheesy thing that kind of made me cringe, but I knew Clay would appreciate. Besides, I didn't exactly know how else to make things official between us. But, anyway, I didn't really want to do that thing immediately after having met up with Alexander, my ex. Cause I don't know, maybe it would just look like I was rushing into it or something. I didn't want Clay to think I was making an impulsive decision. I'd wanted to be with him for a little while now, and I knew I was never gonna be full prepared to make that commitment jump, but I sure as hell wanted to try.

I brought some snacks with me from the store (a random assortment of cookies because why the hell not, some juice boxes, and Cheetos), and knocked on his door.

He answered a few seconds later, not expecting me, and opened the door with a wide and surprised smile.

"I brought goodies to your place of work," I said, holding up my bags.

"Oh, yay!" Clay exclaimed, motioning me inside. I stepped into his apartment and set the bags down on the counter top. Clay must have been sitting there, too, considering his open laptop, binder, and papers scattered all over. "Sorry it's a mess."

"I think we both know that a mess doesn't matter to me," I said, unpacking the bags. "I thought I'd stop by, but I don't have to stay long since you're busy."

Clay sat down and moved his laptop to the side. "You can stay, I'm not super busy. This is all just finishing touches," he said. "So ... how was, um ... Alexander?"

The way he said it so nervously made me more aware of the fact that Clay might have been jealous. Or at least worried in some way, which I guess I could understand.

"He's great. We caught up a little, and it was nice. He's gonna be in Georgia for a little while," I told him, and Clay nodded along. "I told him about you, too. About how great you are, and how much I like you, and that we've got a thing going on."

"Oh, really?" Clay asked, sounding surprised.

I nodded. "I wanted to. Because we do have a thing going on, and I think it's, you know, really good. Maybe I should choose a synonym for really good instead of saying really good just so you get the gist of how really good I think the thing between us is. It's, uh ... it's excellent."