1| Passion and Commitment

THERE are 5 vital organs essential for survival in the human body, one of those being the heart

THERE are 5 vital organs essential for survival in the human body, one of those being the heart. An organ that, besides being the base of human survival, is associated with one of the biggest, most enchanting feelings in the universe, a feeling that can only be summed up into one 4-letter word:

Love.

I learned a lot from Noah's lecture about love. He taught a seminar at several colleges in Georgia, covering a wide range of psychological topics (from mental illnesses to the base of human emotion), and he asked me to come to one tonight. It was, of course, a lecture that covered the psychological basis of human emotion, and more specifically why humans loved. I hadn't understood why Noah wanted me to come to his seminar considering I'd been out of college for a while, but when I realized love was involved, it all clicked and I was happy to listen.

Noah was, for some reason, becoming very invested in my love life. I didn't really mind it because it just meant that I got to spend more time with Noah. His voice in the auditorium was loud and magnified by a microphone and booming sound system, and he sounded nothing if not completely professional and etched towards being a genius. I always thought of Noah (and Logan, his wife) as a genius.

I listened wholeheartedly as Noah gave his presentation and answered questions from the audience. Students, both young and old, were eager to raise their hands and ask Noah about his view on the topic being discussed. A young girl asked why some dudes were douchebags. An older man asked if love was a real concept, or if it was a myth (to which Noah responded, "Love is the realest human emotion, sir. It couldn't be a myth even if you wanted to believe so. But why would you when it's so magical?"). Noah was great.

After the seminar ended, I waited where Noah told me to: just outside of the auditorium and against the white brick wall of the campus store. He came out about 15 minutes after the seminar ended and told me he'd had to answer about 10 more questions as fast as he could, and some of the younger college girls tried flirting with him.

"Happily married," Noah said, waving his ring finger in the air as we left the building to head to the outside part of the campus. "Even though I'm a total catch."

We ended up getting ice cream, my favorite kind was cookie dough, and sitting down on a comfortable bench underneath a tree on the quad while students taking evening classes walked around the campus.

"It takes 2 to 4 minutes to fall in love with someone," Noah said while I focused on putting together the best scoop of ice cream to shove into my mouth. The best scoop, obviously, had at least 4 pieces of cookie dough. "You could totally fall in love at first sight. You remember the theory I mentioned?"

I tried to think back, but unless I was taking notes and studying, it was kind of hard for me to remember most things. "Something about rectangles?"