17| It All Starts With Lightsaber Chopsticks

"CHINESE food," Logan said. "We have chow-mein, fried rice, a couple different kinds of chicken, and since I'm not a professional and don't know how in the hell to make fortune cookies, we have regular cookies with fortunes on the side."

"I wrote the fortunes!" Jeremy exclaimed.

"We all knew Logan didn't," Cayden added.

Logan glared at him. "I am perfectly capable of writing down some bullshit fortunes."

"And that," Cayden said, pointing at Logan, "is exactly why you're incapable of writing fortunes. You don't even believe in them."

"Of course I don't believe in them. They're just pieces of paper," Logan argued.

"They're magical pieces of paper, and if you hold onto them, they come true," I added.

"True that," Tyler agreed, which surprised me a little. I hadn't expected him to be a fortune-cookie believer. "I keep all my fortunes, well, all the ones I don't lose, in my wallet."

"I guess you could say you're pretty fortunate," Noah said.

We all stared blankly at him.

"Jesus. Tough crowd."

We all grabbed plates and piled on the food. Almost everyone walked over to sit on the couch because we'd turned on a movie not long ago. It was a random movie on Netflix that no one knew anything about. I stayed back while Tyler got his food and then his eyes lit up.

"I just bought the perfect thing for this!" he exclaimed, turning around and opening one of the kitchen drawers. A second later, he turned back around, holding up a pair of chopsticks, but not any regular chopsticks.

"Lightsaber chopsticks!" I exclaimed, eyes brightening. "Where did you get these?"

"That weird supply store. I'm telling you, they really do have everything," Tyler said, opening up the package and holding the chopsticks, then immediately furrowing his eyebrows. "You know, I don't know why I actually bought these. I don't even know how to use chopsticks."

"You don't?" I asked, and Tyler shook his head. "Do you–? I can show you, if you want."

"Really? I don't think I'll be able to, but you can sure try."

I gestured him over, and Tyler moved over to stand beside me with his plate of food. He handed me the chopsticks and I placed them in between my fingers like I knew how to.

"The only reason I know how to use this is because my friend Gracie taught me," I said, remembering my senior year when Gracie and I had just started to date. I made reservations at her favorite Chinese restaurant on her birthday, and she practically scolded me (in a nice Gracie-fashion) when she found out I didn't know how to use chopsticks. Really, it wasn't as hard as I'd thought it to be after she showed me.