19| How Did My Oranges Become Lemons?

18| How Did My Oranges Become Lemons?

I was most obviously a hopeless romantic, and I also cared so much about just everyone in my life

I was most obviously a hopeless romantic, and I also cared so much about just everyone in my life. Meaning, I knew Tyler's practice last night had really effected him, and I tried my best to cheer him up with my mug cake. There was no more kissing after the first two surprises, but that was kind of what we'd expected when we decided we would be doing this.

But I mean, I wasn't as dumb as a rock; if he was going to kiss me, I wasn't just going to be like "No, don't do that!"

That would have made me a moron.

I wasn't a moron. Just a guy who was bringing oranges and waffle mix over to Tyler's apartment the next morning to cheer him up more, or so I hoped.

I mean, he totally wasn't ready to see me. He opened the door all groggy, his hair was in a mess with random strands sticking up out of his head, and he wasn't wearing a shirt. I think my jaw might have actually dropped because I hadn't really seen him shirtless in a year and he was very, very good looking.

It made me drop my oranges on the floor.

Tyler bent down and picked the 2 oranges up, rubbing his eyes and yawning. He held them up, eyebrows furrowed.

"Why did you bring lemons?"

I stepped inside and he kicked the door shut. "They're not lemons, they're oranges."

Tyler stared at the oranges. He blinked. He blinked very slowly multiple times.

"Clay..." He stopped looking at the oranges and looked at me. "I swear, I know I just woke up and all, and I'm not very sentient in the morning, but these are not oranges. These are lemons."

"No, they can't be!"

Tyler walked into the kitchen and turned on the lights, holding up the oranges directly under them, and I came over to stand beside him and make sure that—

"Oh."

They were lemons.

"They're yellow," Tyler said. "And very small."

"Dammit," I muttered. "They looked a lot more like oranges in the store and my car. And in the lobby. The elevator, too. Also the hallway. How did my oranges become lemons?"

Tyler touched my shoulder after setti my the lemons on the counter. "I think they've always been lemons, Clay."

"Well, that just sucks."

"Why did you need oranges?"

"I just wanted some Vitamin O."

"Vitamin C."

"What?" I asked. "No, Vitamin O. Right? It stands for Vitamin Orange. Like how when you eat bananas, it's Vitamin B. B for banana."

"Oranges are rich in Vitamin C. I don't know exactly what it is, but it's in lemons, too," Tyler told me. "Vitamin O is a thing, but it's not oranges. And bananas actually have a lot of Vitamin B6, so you're kind of on the right track there."