25| Me Okay

25| Me Okay

"IT'S a shame you still think you're a better player than me," I said, dribbling the ball and smirking at Jesse

"IT'S a shame you still think you're a better player than me," I said, dribbling the ball and smirking at Jesse. The smug bastard.

"Don't get so cocky now, Ty. Just because you're a point away from winning doesn't mean I don't have time for a comeback," Jesse said. "Besides, I don't think I'm a better player than you. I know I am."

I laughed wryly, shaking my head. "Keep telling yourself that, Campbell. You should probably look into retirement soon, old man."

"Yeah? And maybe you should go back to kindergarten, little boy."

"I'm about to score this basket so fast that you won't even see it coming. Your old bones will be too old and creaky, and you won't come close to stopping me."

"I'm sure I could find plenty of ways to make you stop," Jesse said, winking.

I rolled my eyes. "Don't think you can use my sexuality against me. Number one, your like a brother to me. Number two, I'm not remotely interested."

"Damn! That hurts to hear you've moved on from me. You were my backup plan if Alex didn't work out," he joked. "Which, just to make myself very clear, is totally a joke because I love Alex and I would never have a backup plan."

"Yeah, yeah. You wanna talk about true love, or you wanna finish this game?"

Jesse motioned me forward. "Bring it on."

I dribbled the ball and then took off running, maneuvering my way around Jesse who was doing his best to block me. Dude was a great player. I knew that he was technically speaking a better basketball player than me, but I couldn't help being arrogant around him.

His arms were up, trying to block me from taking the shot, but I quickly pivoted and spun, lining up the shot and going for it.

"BAM!" I yelled, raising my arms in the air victoriously. "THAT'S RIGHT CAMPBELL, I WIN! TAKE THAT!"

Jesse laughed, shaking his head. He ran a hand through his slightly wet hair. "You got me, Hamilton. Good game."

"Good game? Great game," I said, shaking his hand and winking. I went and sat down on the bleachers, catching my breath and drinking some water. "Fuck. How long have we been at it?"

I checked my phone at the same time as Jesse said, "Well, we got here at 7, and it's almost 9:30. So, it's late. But Alex texted me and said she already ate dinner, so she has leftovers for us."

"What a blessing," I said, going through my notifications. There were a few texts from Clay, which made me smile, and a few from Alexander, too. The basketball group chat had been blowing up for the past hour discussing school starting in a week, and basketball practices becoming more regular. I swiped them away. I'd check them as soon as I got home, but for now, I was exhausted and in need of a shower.