9| Wedding Crashers Can't be Caught

ONCE upon a damn time, I dated my sister's closeted and then un-closeted ex-boyfriend while I was, in fact, closeted

ONCE upon a damn time, I dated my sister's closeted and then un-closeted ex-boyfriend while I was, in fact, closeted. And in that particular once-upon-a-time story, I also happened to foolishly fall in love with said boy who was incredibly cute, painstakingly talented, and way too fucking tolerant towards me. Oh. And he got a record deal. Because he was literally so goddamn talented. On top of that, the record deal was the reason we had to break up. The whole long-distance super-busy thing just didn't work. And that was okay.

Like I said. I got my closure.

But the one detail of being with him that really didn't offer any sort of closure was this:

The song he wrote. The one he wrote for me. The one that I could barely listen to without thinking about the fact that once upon a goddamn time, I was in love and blah, blah, blah, blah blah...

Oh yeah, so the point was that when that particular song came on, I like, needed to turn it off asap. But the problem about being in a gay club where the music blasted super loud was that I didn't have the ability to switch off my radio or skip the song on Spotify. Cause the DJ was in charge, not me.

So the other night, right when the song switched, I recognized it. And when I realized there was no way in hell I could listen to it at such a loud volume with so many people around, I made up an excuse and ran out of the club and walked back to my apartment.

I felt shitty for abandoning Cayden and the others like that. So randomly. And I felt shitty knowing that Clay had shown up and I hadn't even stayed to see if I could have a moment to talk to him. I also felt shitty for ignoring Cayden's texts the next day, asking me if I was all good. I needed a day to myself. That song, as stupid as it was, really effected me. I felt like a dipshit because of it, but uh, what can you do?

So I let a day pass before going to the café, hoping that Cayden was working and also kind of hoping that he was alone, so I could explain some shit.

"Ty Ham!" Cayden exclaimed the moment I walked in the door. I was kind of glad he didn't look upset at me or anything for ignoring his texts.

I walked over to the counter and sat on one of the barstools. "Hey, Cayden. I, uh–"

He held up his hand. "Before you say a thing, I must get one thing off my chest..."

I gulped. Oh damn. Maybe he was actually mad at me for ditching and ignoring him.

"You look like you are in dire need of some coffee," Cayden said, winking at me. "Are we feeling something lavender or something new?"

I exhaled. "Lavender, of course."

"Right on it!" Cayden exclaimed, and he got to work mixing together a lavender latte.