31| 5 Friendly Cups of Coffee

MY leg could not keep still no matter what and honestly, it was so fucking infuriating

MY leg could not keep still no matter what and honestly, it was so fucking infuriating. My brain, for some reason, wasn't sending the signal to my leg that said, "Hey, stop fucking shaking, you absolute pain-in-the-ass!" So here I was. Leg shaking as I sat on the rooftop café of my apartment building, waiting ever-so anxiously, for a certain Alexander Taylor.

Yep. That's what was happening. And I was totally and entirely calm about it.

Yesterday had been a whole ordeal. From going to the concert with Clay to realizing Cayden had set us up because he didn't trust me to telling Clay the truth to confronting Cayden ... Yeah, it was a lot. And to add an extra layer to the already complicated mess, not only had I been tricked into going to Alexander's concert, but he'd texted me earlier that day to literally tell me he was performing in Atlanta. It was the text I'd ignored when I decided that all I wanted to do was prove Cayden wrong and spend the day with Clay. So the one time I decided to ignore Alexander's text since beginning to talk to him again, I'd actually missed a key piece of information that would have stopped the whole surprise-ex-boyfriend-concert situation.

I mentally slapped myself about 20 times.

It wasn't until after I got back to my apartment from being with Clay and confronting Cayden that I realized another text had appeared from Alexander; it was him saying that he'd seen me at the concert. For a split second, he'd seen me, and he'd probably seen me run away, too. So after an awkward jumble of texts where I couldn't explain myself, we made plans. And now, he was meeting me at my apartment complex on the rooftop café.

And yes, Clay knew about this impromptu meeting. As promised, I was being more honest and open. And I wanted to tell Clay about Alexander. I wanted him to know that agreeing to meet with Alexander didn't mean anything more than me simply wanting to catch up and have a friendly cup of coffee.

I'd already had maybe 5 friendly cups of coffee, and he hadn't even arrived yet.

The caffeine maybe wasn't my best idea. That's probably why my leg wouldn't stop shaking, and why I kept tapping my mug of coffee with my index finger. And then I kept ordering coffees on impulse, just to keep my mouth busy and try to distract my mind from the fact that my ex-boyfriend who I once loved would soon be sitting across from me, and I hadn't really seen him seen him in years.

My phone lit up and started buzzing, Alex's name popping on the screen. I looked around the rooftop to make sure I didn't see Alexander, and when I could confirm he wasn't here yet, I answered the phone.

"Is he there yet?"

"No, and if he was, I wouldn't answer the phone because I know you'd find some way to embarrass the hell out of me," I said.

Alex groaned. "How many coffees have you had?"

"5. Going on 6 in a minute."

I heard her whispering, probably to Jesse, "He's had 5 coffees! Yes, 5! Ty, Jesse wants to know if you're sane."