47| Daddy's Little Boy & The Hunk of Meat

"GOD, I fucking despise the airport," I groaned the second we got off the plane

"You said that about planes, too," Clay said.

"I despise planes, I despise airports, and I despise flying. It's gross, cramped, and the concept of being flown over a bunch of buildings and shut puts me off," I said. "I'm gonna need Alex to stop through a drive thru on the way home, I need a goddamn milkshake after that shit."

Clay laughed at the same time as I grabbed Clay's hand and laced our fingers together. Our free hands pulled our luggage behind us, and we walked through the crowded LAX.

"So. Despite my hatred of everything, I'm actually super pumped that we're here and shit, and I can't wait for you to see everything, and experience everything, and meet everyone," I said. "My parents have been dying. They haven't stopped texting me, seriously, I'll show you the messages because they're endless. Ethan also can't wait to meet you because I've told him all about you, and he thinks you're the real deal, which you are. I think he's really gonna idolize you."

I squeezed Clay's hand, and I kept talking. I wanted him to know just how excited I was to have him here with me, and how everyone was counting on meeting him. He deserved to feel better than he'd been feeling for the past few weeks, so I wanted to do what I could to lift his spirits. Plus, my family was actually insane, in the best way, and they seriously couldn't stop gushing about how thrilled they were to meet Clay.

My parents kept reminding me how "offended" they were that Alex and Jesse met him first, and Ethan played the same card; they were obviously joking, but that's just what my family did to be overdramatic.

"We're having mac and cheese tonight, too. I begged Jesse, and because he will do anything for his favorite almost-brother, he said yes."

"Oh, I'm so excited. Cheese sounds like heaven right now," Clay said. "Just saying the word is making my mouth water."

"I know right. It'll be even worse when you actually see his mac and cheese in front of you. Feast your eyes on its glorious deliciousness, and I promise, your mouth won't just be watering," I said, winking. "Ethan is gonna make his masterpiece ice cream sundae, too. Diabetes in a bowl, as he and my dad call it."

"Right, because you're dad's the dietitian?" Clay said.

"That would be him," I said, and we rounded the corner to head down the escalators, right to where all the family members or friends would stand waiting to pick up their loved ones.

And when we rounded the corner and stepped on the escalator, I snorted. Alex and Jesse were right there, holding up a sign for us:

Daddy's Little Boy & The Hunk of Meat.

"Am I the hunk of meat?" Clay asked.

"The very attractive hunk of meat, yes. The pork chop that everyone's trying to take a bite of, except nobody gets to but me," I said, tilting my head and biting Clay's shoulder, which made him laugh.