❄️ Hisagi Shūhei x Reader

(As expected, I have poor self-preservation skills and have resigned myself to more work than I should have :) I'll be fine tho.)

"Oh, Captain Ukitake, this is so pretty!" I beam at him, admiring the strange plush that he'd given me. "Thank you, it's so sweet."

The captains and lieutenants have been hosting a secret santa get-together for the past month, and it has came to fruition tonight. Somehow my Captain had gotten me to buy a present for.

"I'm glad you like it!" He claps his hands together happily, as if an aura of sunshine has overtaken him. "Did your victim like your present?"

"I haven't given it to him yet," I admit.

"Nervous?" He takes in my shuffling feet. I nod, averting my eyes. "Go on, I'm sure they'll be enamoured by whatever you have for them."

I smile, complying with him. "Thank you, Captain."

My eyes easily pick him from the crowd, unsurprisingly. I can always spot him, as I'm always looking for him. His eyes catch on mine before I can look away.

Panic fills every pore of my skin as he approaches with a smile. Somehow, someone had talked him into wearing a reindeer antler headband, which jingles as he walks. "Having fun?"

I nod, half-paying attention to what he's saying and the rest turned to the very noticeable beating of my heart. My hands shake as I bring his present out of the bag around my shoulder. "Here, this is for you, Shūhei."

"For me?" The grin that spreads across his face makes my heart seem to skip beat after beat, and I can feel the heat of my blood in my cheeks. "Are you my santa?"

Shūhei takes it tenderly in his hands, unwrapping it. We've moved away from the crowd, to the side of the room to have some privacy. I can see Rangiku give me a goofy thumbs-up, as she fully knows about how smitten I am with the lieutenant in front of me.

The tissue paper is set aside, a genuine smile on Shūhei's face. "Thank you," his smile is adorable, and I can't help but return it. "Did you paint this yourself?"

I nod, "I like to paint when I have the time," I let the mumble escape me. He lifts the painting gently out of the box, admiring it as I try to not grow more awkward.

"You put a lot of time into it," he notes quietly. "I can tell." He holds out an arm, gently wrapping me into a hug. I return it, noticing how the embrace lingers a little.

Then I notice Rangiku behind me. "Mistletoe!!"

Shūhei smiles, almost apologetically, before taking my lips in a tender kiss. He's kissing me, my heart in my throat as I return his sweet kiss. He pulls back, his face flushed.

"Come on, you know you want another, Shūhei!" Izuru teases on his other side.

I lean in this time, planting a kiss on his cheek, right atop his tattoo. His face flushes a more noticeable pink.

"Maybe I do," I hear him whisper, smiling and leaning in for another, the bells on his antlers jingling in agreement.