Hitsugaya Toshiro x Reader

(Once again, my keyboard doesn't do long o's, so pretend that their names are correct.)

"Are you gonna want this back or can I keep it?" You grin from ear to ear, clutching the sword that had just been acquainted with your insides.

The man before you gasps, unable to conjure up words.

Your grin widens further, and your blade slashes through him in a flash.

"You should think twice before challenging someone. Especially when you are underestimating them."

He collapses, begging you not to kill him, asking what you are. Your maniacal sneer doesn't change as you pull the zanpakuto out of your stomach. You throw it aside.

The man can only stare at the ground in terror as you turn and walk away.

Your smile falls to a grimace, now that your face is out of sight of your enemy. But you had defended your seat. As the third seat of Squad Ten, you were often challenged. But you always won.

You trudge down the street, intending to go to Squad Four. The wound in your side was deep, regardless of how tough you are.

Eventually you find someone from Squad Four, and they bring you to their hospital barracks. Your former opponent was treated as well, but you really don't care about that.

You hear a sigh, and open your eyes. Captain Hitsugaya was standing over you, arms crossed. "You always get into fights. You need to have less of a temper if you want to continue as my third seat."

His cool voice felt like a weight in your ears. He was disappointed in you, you could feel it.

"It's... It's not my temper. I don't start the fights, I finish them." You sit up, insistence in your words.

"And that mindset is dangerous. Just look at you. You shouldn't be fighting at all, even when challenged. Defeat them with your words. It shows much more of your strength."

You look away, avoiding his cold stare.

He sighs, uncrossing his arms. "I know that you are strong. You feel like you have something to prove. But you don't need to waste your skill on people who are beneath you. They aren't worth it."

"I understand, Captain Hitsugaya." You bow your head. The compliment rings in your ears, giving you a warm feeling.

"Good. I hope you recover quickly." He nods, and leaves.

You stare at your hands, musing over his words. Maybe you should try talking first, if it would make your captain happy. You hated his disappointment.

You try to think of ways to avoid fighting those clowns. This last one had surprised you. Usually they never got to give you more than a scratch or so. Maybe you could just deny their challenges. Was that a thing you could do? Just walk away?

A sigh escapes you.

--- ---

"You don't deserve the position of third seat! Someone like you could never amount to anything, so you should forfeit it to me- I am much more qualified." A new challenger boasts against you.

You roll your eyes. "As if. Do you really want to do all of Lieutenant Matsumoto's paperwork? It's quite a drag, really, but I for one don't mind paperwork."

They narrow their eyes. "She can do her own paperwork."

"She doesn't, though. She leaves it for the captain and I. So unless you want to do both yours and hers, I suggest you don't even try. It's much easier to just go for the fourth seat."

"Fourth seat? I guess that would be fine."

Honestly you don't care. The fourth seat could hold their own- and if not, you don't like them much anyway.

You walk away without fighting. Captain Hitsugaya was right! This wasn't as fun as fighting, but maybe he wouldn't be disappointed.

"L/n Y/n." Your Captain's voice cuts through the air, and you turn to him.

"Captain Hitsugaya," you bow down.

"Rise." He lets a smile adorn his face. "You did that well. I was tired of you getting hurt, you know."

"Thank you, Captain." You smile back, rising as commanded.

"I mean it. It worries me when you get hurt." His voice holds some hesitation, as if something was hiding behind it.

"I apologize for any inconvenience, Captain Hitsugaya." You respond quietly, not certain what was wrong.

"No, not inconvenience. At least not for me. I just... get scared when I hear that you've gotten in trouble again. You are very dear to me, having been my third seat for so long." His words dance around what he wants to say,  but you are beginning to understand.

"Captain... I am honoured to be your third seat, but I am confused as to why you worry so much." You suspect he has feelings, but they could very well be brotherly or friendly. You hope it isn't. Your chest begins to stir, and butterflies churn in your stomach.

"It's because I care about you, L/n Y/n. I have for a while now, since after you became my third seat. Doing all Matsumoto's paperwork without a complaint. Helping me with anything I need, when she's busy. Helping her with what she has problems doing. You're an excellent fighter, and an even better friend, to everyone. You have made me fall for you without so much as a struggle. I love you, L/n Y/n."

Your lip trembles as he just keeps going, tears welling up in your eyes at every word. The passion in his eyes and voice were overwhelming.

"Captain- I... I love you too. Nothing I can say will ever compare to your words." You smile, trying not to cry.

He steps closer. "Then don't use words." His lips were curled into a happy smile.

You lean in and kiss him, feeling bliss as your lips meet his.

He pulls away. "Are you going to stop making me worry now?"

"I don't know if that will be possible," you smile at him. "But I can try, for you."

"Good. Now let's go, Y/n, I have to finish my paperwork and Matsumoto isn't going to do hers. I'll make it worth your while, though."

"Yes, Toshiro." You test him. He usually didn't allow anyone to use his first name.

He has no objection, so you follow after him.