SMIH! Inoue Orihime

You rummage through the bag, not wanting to get stuck with someone you hate. You yelp when something sharp jabs into your finger, and pull it out.

An ornamental hair comb sits in your hand, the teeth of the comb rather sharp. Luckily there was only a few small spots in your hand, but it still hurt. Ichigo calls for whoever you picked.

As you look up at your partner, the pain fades quickly. Her polite smile adorning her face as she looks at you. Your heart beats a little faster.

"Y/n! You pulled my item?"

"Ah, yeah. I did," You nod, trying to clear your head.

She grabs your hand excitedly. "Then let's go!" Her giggle fills the air.

You try not to focus on how her hand feels in yours, soft and warm. Her skin was smooth, and her hand grasps  yours delicately.

You didn't even notice the door was closed until she let go of your hand.

"So how has the party been? Have you had fun?"

"I'm, actually...," You murmur, then realize you can't do this. She had brought you here to have fun. You can't tell her how absolutely boring it has been. "Yeah, it has been pretty fun."

"Good! There's a lot of people here, I'm sure you've found plenty of people to talk to. I know I have." Her voice is cheerful.

"Oh yeah, definitely," You reply softly. "And the party has been fun for you?"

"Of course, I get to see all of my friends. Like you!"

You smile to yourself. Friends. Everyone was a friend to her. The naive Orihime. You can live with that, you think. You can live with just being her friend.

The door opens, and Ichigo calls her name. She lights up, running out to meet him. She doesn't spare a second look back.

A sigh builds up in your throat. Your heart beats in your chest as it tightens. You walk back to your little corner, looking at the girl who has stolen your heart.

She doesn't know. You would never tell her. Friends don't do that. Friends aren't selfish like that. No matter what.

Besides. Isn't she happy with him?