Ukitake Jūshiro x Reader

You smile, seeing that your plums were coming along nicely. It was time.

You boil the rice, plucking a couple tea bags from a box. It was one of his favourite teas, and would work great.

You pull the rice off and divide it into two bowls. You boil more water and steep your tea, adding some dashi powder. After it is finished, you pour it into the bowls. Then you add your other ingredients-- pickled plums, sesame seeds, nori strips, shiso, salmon roe, and pickled ramps-- atop the rice. Plating a final touch of wasabi and pickled ginger, you place the bowls and side dish on a tray, and pull your steaming hand towels, or oshibori, out to place on the tray as well, and grab chopsticks.

Then is the delivery.

With much delicacy, you slowly make your way to the lake in Ugendō's garden. There he was, checking up on one of the bonsai trees. He sat on a small stone bench, relishing in the peaceful air.

You smile and clear your throat. He turns and gapes at you, slighly astonished.

"Y/n... all of this- for me?" Jūshiro smiles kindly.

You nod, swallowing your fear. "Yes, I thought you could use some cheering up and I knew this was your favourite."

"How thoughtful- you are always so good at giving gifts."

A memory of some of the weird gifts he's given you flashes through your mind.

"Thank you. I figured we could eat in the peace by the lake."

He agrees happily, and the two of you dig into the ume ochazuke.

He was so graceful with the chopsticks, not a grain of rice escaping. You were a little less adequate, but still managed.

You ate in a pleasant silence as dusk began to fall. The lake seems to burn, illuminated with orange and red and pink. Stars begin to burst to life in the sky, an endless stretch of beauty.

To be honest you didn't even see it. You were too busy looking at the fire reflected in his content eyes.

They turn to you, sensing your gaze, and you look away quickly.

"Thank you, Y/n. This is lovely. I'm lucky to have someone as good as you in my life- you make excellent ume ochazuke!" He jokes in the last part, then smiles more sincerely. "I'm glad you are my friend."

You smile, cringing at the word friend. Of course you want more. He was kind and attractive and lovely. His shimmering white hair was tied back for the first time in a long while, and his bangs were still clouding around his face, long and wispy.

"And I'm glad to have an amazing captain like you, Jūshiro-san." You smile. Regardless of how you feel, he was more important.

"I have a problem, though." He continues, looking at his hands. They clench together, and he avoids your gaze.

"What's wrong, Captain?" You ask, worry drenching your voice.

"Well, we've been friends for a long time. A couple years or so. And you've been one of my best friends. But I can't be your friend anymore." His solumn voice cuts you like a knife.

Then he looks at you, a rare look of mischief in his green eyes. "Because I feel so much more. I see how you look at me. The stolen glances, the soft gazes. And once I noticed them, I also noticed my own. I couldn't stop looking at you, hoping to catch you stare.

"And then I recognized this feeling. It was more than friendliness. More than a crush. More than a glance. I am entirely, and completely, in love with you, L/n Y/n."

His kind, gentle voice fills the air, and your heart. Your face grows pink with each word. Your gaze fixes on his eyes, and his on yours.

"I love you too, Ukitake Jūshiro." You smile.

His eyes are still fixated on yours. The gap between the two of you grows smaller. And smaller.

Your lips meet. His alluring, soft, gentle lips briefly brush your lips before he presses his against yours delicately.

For a moment the two of you sit there, and your lips part. His enticing green eyes gaze deep into your own, as if asking for yours to spill their secrets.

He smiles, and you beam back at him.

"I love you." You whisper your words.

"I love you too."

The sunset dies beside you, but something else is born.