❄️ Abarai Renji x Reader

"Renji why is that one all red?" I sweatdrop, glancing over at his cookie. "Wasn't that supposed to be a Christmas tree?"

"Well, not all trees are perfect," he sets down the icing, admiring his work.

"They're not usually red, either," I let out a laugh.

"Well then I guess this one is faulty and I should eat it," he grins.

I finish my star, grabbing a reindeer. "No, they're for our friends!"

I had employed my romantic partner for decorating cookies, intended for the other lieutenants, but he seems to be better at eating them than decorating them thus far.

"But they're yummy," he groans, his eyes fixed on the rows of pretty cookies on the table.

"Thanks I guess," I pipe little yellow dots for the bells on the reigns.

He sets the bloodied tree aside, picking up a blank wreath. "You're pretty good at baking, you know."

I smile, done with the reindeer, "Thanks, Renji." I pick up a bell.

"You're also super fast, you've done almost twice as many as me," He mumbles, focusing on decorating his cookie. At least he has the green this time. "And they look better."

"It's mostly practice," my heart pangs at the memory, but I suppress it. "I was a baker, you know."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I always dreamed of owning my own bakery."

We fall into silence for a moment. It's not quite awkward, but I can tell that he's not sure how to respond.

"Well," his voice cuts into the silence. "I'm at least glad to experience how great you are at it. I know you can't have your dream here, but I'm glad to have you with me."

"Renji," I feel how my lip trembles, and take a breath. "Thank you. It's okay, though. That dream was a long time ago, and now I have a new dream." I lean across the table, taking care to not touch any cookies. I touch his lips to mine, as he returns my kiss sweetly; he'd found excuses to eat a few cookies along the way.

"You," I whisper against his lips.

He hums in agreement, "And you are mine."